Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Milldawg12

Sean Miller caught on phone

I don't have a problem with it and I've said that before in the past. I think the players should be allowed to get money if they can. 
Then let's throw a fully loaded Lexus at Romeo whether he wants it or not. Time to pony up boys iu is entering the big boy show. I say we offer the five stars were after in 2019 300k minimum.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

My issue with paying players (any players in any sport) is that only the major sports in the Big 5 conferences would be able to do so... most of the minor sports are money losers, and for mid-major schools, even basketball/football barely break even. 
Imagine the fun when people start suing via Title IX and similar because male athletes in BB/FB get paid and the ladies' tidily-wink team does not. 
Slippery slope, my friend.
You would end up paying the women's rowing team the exact same amount as bball players or end up in court for discrimination.

18 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

You would end up paying the women's rowing team the exact same amount as bball players or end up in court for discrimination.

That was my point. It's unreasonable to expect to pay every athlete, participating in every sport at every school... It's simply not feasible.

That was my point. It's unreasonable to expect to pay every athlete, participating in every sport at every school... It's simply not feasible.
Nope but people keep saying pay the bball players. That's fine buy every school will end up in court so it's not going to happen and if I'd did then college is no longer amateur athletics

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

My issue with paying players (any players in any sport) is that only the major sports in the Big 5 conferences would be able to do so... most of the minor sports are money losers, and for mid-major schools, even basketball/football barely break even. 

Imagine the fun when people start suing via Title IX and similar because male athletes in BB/FB get paid and the ladies' tidily-wink team does not. 

The universities themselves wouldn't have to be the ones paying the players. Just let them make money off their own likeness. Keep it how it is now but allow players to seek outside compensation as well. 

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'm not sure.  I think it'll all depend on how the rules are established.  Ever buy a school jersey/uniform with a number on it?  Or a shirt that says IU <fill in the blank sport>.  I live in the Evansville area and here UE sells a lot of multiple sport apparel.  Certainly a percentage of those sales could go to the athlete(s) that are helping sell the product?

Also, supply and demand is what it is.  If a kid is good enough to play for UConn's women's basketball team she'll probably end up being compensated.  If another kid is good to play for UE's squad then a free education is worth something.  It's not like every high school student-athlete gets that kind of opportunity.  

Edited by Lebowski

The universities themselves wouldn't have to be the ones paying the players. Just let them make money off their own likeness. Keep it how it is now but allow players to seek outside compensation as well. 
No thanks. I'll watch high school only at that point. I don't need to watch NBA 2.0.

Really hoping Archie is clean. I think he is. Would suck to finally fully come around to the hiring the last half of this season only to for him to be tied to this mess
He is but there are posters on here that don't want him to be. That want him to play the game

Just now, Bailey7878 said:

No thanks. I'll watch high school only at that point. I don't need to watch NBA 2.0.

You already are man, and you have been since you started watching college basketball. 

58 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the universities the ones getting paid right now off the players likeness? I'm asking this question because I'm not sure how that works presently. If the universities are the ones getting the funds and then those funds are used to finance other sports? There's going to be quite a bit of dissatisfaction when those funds are no longer available to finance sports that do not pay their own way. 

5 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

He was #1 on my listi in 2008 but this would be worse than Sampson. We'd get totally nailed hard and probably would never recover. The ncaa would remember Sampson while punishing us again.

Of course, we would confess to everything and probably a couple of things we didn't even do!

He is but there are posters on here that don't want him to be. That want him to play the game

You don’t know if he is or isn’t.

In regards to people wanting him to play dirty... Idk, maybe there are some here that want that no matter what but I think the larger contingent of folks just want a level playing field.

If all schools are forced to play by the same rules, rules that are enforced, it doesn’t matter if nobody or everybody is paying these kids

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

In regards to people wanting him to play dirty... Idk, maybe there are some here that want that no matter what but I think the larger contingent of folks just want a level playing field.

If all schools are forced to play by the same rules, rules that are enforced, it doesn’t matter if nobody or everybody is paying these kids

Yeah, I'm not looking to get a leg up on other schools or to get some kind of unfair advantage. I just want a level playing field and right now that's not what we have. 

No likely. There is a two tiered ncaa justice system and always will be. Teams like Duke and NORTH Carolina will never be touched. Those like vandy and auburn who try and dance with the big boys are most at risk. The NCAA likes to punish those types of schools. So sure iu can play dirty but we'd definitely get hammered if caught.

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I'm not sure.  I think it'll all depend on how the rules are established.  Ever buy a school jersey/uniform with a number on it?  Or a shirt that says IU <fill in the blank sport>.  I live in the Evansville area and here UE sells a lot of multiple sport apparel.  Certainly a percentage of those sales could go to the athlete(s) that are helping sell the product?

OK, you sell a ton of #11 IU basketball jerseys.  Who gets a percentage?  Devonte Green?  Dane Fife?  Dan Dakich?  Isaiah Thomas?  Todd Jadlow?  Yogi Ferrell?  Errek Suhr?  The 17 other guys who have worn #11 for IU basketball?

OK, you sell a ton of #11 IU basketball jerseys.  Who gets a percentage?  Devonte Green?  Dane Fife?  Dan Dakich?  Isaiah Thomas?  Todd Jadlow?  Yogi Ferrell?  Errek Suhr?  The 17 other guys who have worn #11 for IU basketball?
Unless you give the money to every sport on campus you'll have aclu and feminist lawyers suing the schools in a second for discrimination. Let's say you pay men's bball players 3 grand each. Each and ever women's softball player will want the same thing.
Legally it would be a nightmare or your be paying a lot of money to all athletes.