Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

We may be looking at 5:30 and 6pm starts for IU if we switch tome zone

I know daylight saving times is a controversial topic so with the debate back in play (there is a bill in the legislator to study a move back to central time) to possibly move to Central Time (which has it advantages and disadvantages) I just want to make sure everyone realizes that this switch would mean 5:30 and 6pm starts now for IU basketball (and 11am and 2:30pm for football) for some of the non-premium games during Big Ten play instead of 6:30 and 7pm. My sister lives in Chicago as an IU grad and she has missed 2 IU NW games she wanted to go to over years since they had 6pm local time starts and she can't leave work that early. Since everything is dictated by TV we may get more late slots but for some of our home games against bottom feeders (PSU, NW etc.) we would be looking at the very early starts. Now vice versa on the good side those 9pm starts for the premium games would now be 8pm which is better so that part is good. Olympic sports would not be affected since those are rarely televised and would usually still start on local time at 7pm since IU controls that.

I know daylight saving times is a controversial topic so with the debate back in play (there is a bill in the legislator to study a move back to central time) to possibly move to Central Time (which has it advantages and disadvantages) I just want to make sure everyone realizes that this switch would mean 5:30 and 6pm starts now for IU basketball (and 11am and 2:30pm for football) for some of the non-premium games during Big Ten play instead of 6:30 and 7pm. My sister lives in Chicago as an IU grad and she has missed 2 IU NW games she wanted to go to over years since they had 6pm local time starts and she can't leave work that early. Since everything is dictated by TV we may get more late slots but for some of our home games against bottom feeders (PSU, NW etc.) we would be looking at the very early starts. Now vice versa on the good side those 9pm starts for the premium games would now be 8pm which is better so that part is good. Olympic sports would not be affected since those are rarely televised and would usually still start on local time at 7pm since IU controls that.
I'm from Illinois. I'm used to those early starts. Of course , when I was working, my shift ended at unlike your sister in Chicago. So they didn't bother me. I am I favor of no time changes in March and October.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Indiana has more in common with the central time zone than the eastern. I would be OK with moving the to the central. And daylight savings time is one of the dumbest things ever devised. Only an idiot would think they could cut a foot off of the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom and think they had a longer blanket. Or something like that.

13 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

I'm from Illinois. I'm used to those early starts. Of course , when I was working, my shift ended at unlike your sister in Chicago. So they didn't bother me. I am I favor of no time changes in March and October.

You also have to remember IU faces something very unique in that most of the ticket holders like me come from Indy an hour away. Most Northwestern and Illinois Ticket holders live in the city of the game. If this switch occurs you will see even lighter attendance on the 5:30pm and 6pm games and 6:30 is already a problem. I'm curious if IU (along with PU and Butler) would try to fight a move to central time as this could really jeopardize weeknight attendance for some games (tickets would be sold but the no shows would get larger possibly).  

I already live in CT so makes no diff to me, but I used to be proud Indiana was one of the few states not to participate in the DST idiocy.

Let's change the clock because......just because! 

12 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I already live in CT so makes no diff to me, but I used to be proud Indiana was one of the few states not to participate in the DST idiocy.

Let's change the clock because......just because! 

Is Connecticut still being bullied by the rest of New England to move to the Atlantic time zone? Now instead of being in the same time zone as Bloomington, you could be 2 hours ahead.

You also have to remember IU faces something very unique in that most of the ticket holders like me come from Indy an hour away. Most Northwestern and Illinois Ticket holders live in the city of the game. If this switch occurs you will see even lighter attendance on the 5:30pm and 6pm games and 6:30 is already a problem. I'm curious if IU (along with PU and Butler) would try to fight a move to central time as this could really jeopardize weeknight attendance for some games (tickets would be sold but the no shows would get larger possibly).  
True. However, that won't be unique just Indiana schools. Those early start times are in effect for schools currently in the Central Time Zone. Their season ticket owners do it. Especially when they are competitive.
I'm not saying you are wrong in your concern. Fans of CTZ colleges are able to do it.

Due to our location, we should be on central time with Chicago, not New York time. I hate that for my favorite Chicago sports teams, games start so late. Forget about even thinking about watching games when they are on the west coast and they don’t start until after 10.

If we are going to remain on Eastern time, I don’t ever want to hear us be called the Midwest again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I'm a golfer.  Give me EST all day long.

This is the real reason we do the daylight savings time thing and not the lame excuses that were given by our former governor. How about everyone adjust the clock by 30 minutes and then leave it alone.

I think a lot of complaints of one vs the other is just people wanting to complain about something. I grew up in Eastern Time and have now lived in Central Time for a few years and I dont even notice there being a significant difference. A game or tv show starting an hour earlier shouldnt even be a consideration in the discussion.

This is the real reason we do the daylight savings time thing and not the lame excuses that were given by our former governor. How about everyone adjust the clock by 30 minutes and then leave it alone.

No, I've lived in an half hour off time zone and it sucks. Knowing you're 4 hours behind or 12/13 hours ahead isn't bad. Trying to calculate 4 and one half hours or 12 and one half is just annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

No, I've lived in an half hour off time zone and it sucks. Knowing you're 4 hours behind or 12/13 hours ahead isn't bad. Trying to calculate 4 and one half hours or 12 and one half is just annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Admittedly, it only works if everyone does it. Changing clocks twice a year drives me crazy.

20 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Is Connecticut still being bullied by the rest of New England to move to the Atlantic time zone? Now instead of being in the same time zone as Bloomington, you could be 2 hours ahead.

Sorry I meant "CT" to mean Central Time. I wouldn't live in Connecticut for any amount of $$!