Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Woodworking Thread

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

These are so underrated. I built one in the garage a few years back. It’s much easier reaching up to grab the drill than wondering where you left it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Added bonus. It forced me to organize the pegboard too. What a mess!!!!

Added bonus. It forced me to organize the pegboard too. What a mess!!!!

Haha, I have to organize everything before I can really work. My OCD gets too bad when I can’t find things easily or see it organized.

I ended up putting a few other power tools in the other slot. When I build my workshop, eventually, this will be right over my work table.

37 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Haha, I have to organize everything before I can really work. My OCD gets too bad when I can’t find things easily or see it organized.

I ended up putting a few other power tools in the other slot. When I build my workshop, eventually, this will be right over my work table.

The prior homeowner, an older gentleman, was a woodworker. He didn't leave behind much.  But he did leave behind a couple of awesome work benches and this big ol pegboard wall. Thankful for the little things. 

The prior homeowner, an older gentleman, was a woodworker. He didn't leave behind much.  But he did leave behind a couple of awesome work benches and this big ol pegboard wall. Thankful for the little things. 

That’s awesome! I ended up putting an old door on hinges then connecting it to a 2x4 on the wall. It made for a nice little workbench I could use.

I miss the wood shop in Hawaii with a panel saw, Fesstools, and enough clamps to hold together any building on Oahu. It was even nicer that I didn’t have to maintain anything in there!

Thanks man. I have some teak I’m thinking I might use. How would I get it to stay in the frame you think?  Glue it?  Does glue adhere to epoxy/wood?

I’ll attempt to explain what I would do. How think is the teak?

If the teak is think enough..
I’d create a frame that was thick enough to have two cross sections in the back. The thickness of the cross sections could be minimal, 1/4” would be plenty. You could tack the cross sections in with some nails and use them to hang it.

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’ll attempt to explain what I would do. How think is the teak?

If the teak is think enough..
I’d create a frame that was thick enough to have two cross sections in the back. The thickness of the cross sections could be minimal, 1/4” would be plenty. You could tack the cross sections in with some nails and use them to hang it.

Great idea. I didn’t consider that. Even a 1/4” ply would be good enough I’d think. It wouldn’t even have to be a full cross, just maybe a 2” length. 

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If you do another one I might make the epoxy go around the edges of the outermost wood so the frame wouldn’t cover the wood. (A small section of epoxy showing between the wood of the cross and the edge of the frame)

Regardless, it looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Another great idea. I’ll probably do another. But maybe use a couple different colors for the epoxy. 

IMG_0181.thumb.jpg.9f42346e0349958ca382a2d27dc40078.jpg

Speaking of shop organization, I made this a few years back. Only have a 2-car garage so I needed a mobile station and a bunch of storage. This accomplished both. I used full length pull drawer slides and keep all my handheld power tools within. One day I will close the nearest end and put a router table with a lift and box on it.....one day....

Thanks man. I have some teak I’m thinking I might use. How would I get it to stay in the frame you think?  Glue it?  Does glue adhere to epoxy/wood?

Drill then use very small screws if the teak wood isn’t thick enough to route a lip using small brads to hold it in. Proper sizing and drilling would be a must.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I thought we already had one but searched and searched without finding it.

I've been playing around with the power tools again. I'm in the process of redoing my nephew's room. (IU themed of course). I'm building a loft bed with dresser, book/storage case under to support the bed. It's nothing special and doing it on the cheap. I've come up with a design for a movable desk that will attach to the back of either the bookcase or dresser, depending on which is facing out. Also, looking to do a moving TV box to raise an lower a TV under and above the bed.

That was a lot of nonsense. I just finished putting together some frames for his IU basketball posters and calendars. Thinking to paint them red and burn a "Big Ten Champs" for the 2015-2016.

Any other woodworkers out there? What are you building? What plans do you have?

IMG_5290.thumb.jpg.58ae4b1fe5014f0c08f94d39a4b47b37.jpg

That is quite creative to produce both functionality and beauty with your hands-a skill set that I never developed for sure. Great job Aloha!

That is quite creative to produce both functionality and beauty with your hands-a skill set that I never developed for sure. Great job Aloha!

Thanks colonel. Thankfully, my dad has a passion for woodworking. I’ve taken a few safety courses for different shops but have pieced together things through a few magazines, videos, and fellow woodworkers.

These actually turned out decent. My nephew loves them and that’s what really matters. I do need to catch up on the latest ones though.