Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Commendable job by the IUAD tonight

They deserve a special shout out for proactively handling the potential taunting of the MSU scandals heading into tonight's game. I want to echo what Dakich said during the broadcast about being proud of the university for this.

For those who missed it, these were handed out before the game.

DVJS_HwV4AIT7_Y.jpg:large&key=3475dce564

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Im not a big fan of this. One of the First steps in sweeping it under the rug. 

It is out on the carpet and gutted all over it. Hell at this point it is the rug, like a dead animal. The scandal isn't going away, but it's an easy target and we (along with every other school) is above this. I would hate for parts of our fan base to act like Rutgers did after the Penn State scandal.

Just now, Magnanimous said:

It is out on the carpet and gutted all over it. Hell at this point it is the rug, like a dead animal. The scandal isn't going away, but it's an easy target and we (along with every other school) is above this. I would hate for parts of our fan base to act like Rutgers did after the Penn State scandal.

One of these rapes literally was piblic knowledge 7 years ago. This crap goes away if we stop talking about it. 

If Izzo and the people dont want to hear about their crimes they are free to leave. Otherwise screw em. The victims want this stuff talked about abd turned back on the people that allowed it. Thats why 100+ victims are giving survivor statements. 

5 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

There's a difference between holding the guilty accountable and making rape-related chants during a game on national TV in front of children, families, recruits, etc. It's not IU's job to play the role of public opinion when the appropriate measures by the appropriate authorities are now being taken.

Are the appropriate authorities doing anything to MSU yet?  

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

We shouldn't lower ourselves because they're a dirty school. IU did the right thing last night.

Im going to bump this topic when Izzo gets away without any reprussions. 

And everyone who helps him do it will be to blame the next time one of his players does it again 

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Im going to bump this topic when Izzo gets away without any reprussions. 

And everyone who helps him do it will be to blame the next time one of his players does it again 

And what power does IU have over Tom Izzo getting fired? His program is getting grilled in the national media, the NCAA and criminal detective units are investigating, and he will be working under a new administration shortly that will likely come in to clean house. Nothing going on there is a secret to anyone and the appropriate measures will likely be taken shortly. 

Just now, Magnanimous said:

And what power does IU have over Tom Izzo getting fired? His program is getting grilled in the national media, the NCAA and criminal detective units are investigating, and he will be working under a new administration shortly that will likely come in to clean house. Nothing going on there is a secret to anyone and the appropriate measures will likely be taken shortly. 

The power to not silence people. People being silenced for years has been the problem. 

20 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

No one is being silenced. Handing out a card to 18,000 people saying IU is aware that MSU is in a world of sh*t and please represent our school with class while navigating this topic, then posting it on national TV and the internet for all to read is hardly sweeping anything under the rug. We don't need their mess making us look bad. It's an easy target right now and IU should be above it. 

We shall see, 7 years ago when one of these rapes occurred it made the program look bad.  Nothing happened then because people stopped talking about it. 

31 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We shall see, 7 years ago when one of these rapes occurred it made the program look bad.  Nothing happened then because people stopped talking about it. 

It's a different world now. Seven years ago the names Jerry Sandusky and Harvey Weinstein carried completely different meanings than they do today. Social media a bigger beast now, the public is much less forgiving, and victims are finally being empowered en masse. I don't think either Izzo or Dantonio survive this, whether it's their call or directed from above. This is a cloud that will hang over both of them for the rest of their tenures.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Showing respect to MSU implies they are deserving of respect. They aren’t. If the basketball team wasn’t part the narrative then I understand it but Izzo has plenty to answer for. 

This was ALL about the behavior of our student section.   The MSU issue was a good excuse to say "cut out the swearing."    And to remind our student section of some realities.   I loved it for that reason.

47 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is Michigan State's mess to deal with. I'm glad the athletic department had the foresight to send something like this out. There was no need for IU fans to get involved. 

Exactly.  I was honestly very worried before the game that our students were going to start a Larry Nasser chant or something to that effect.  So glad we avoided that, it wouldn't have been a good look.

40 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

It's a different world now. Seven years ago the names Jerry Sandusky and Harvey Weinstein carried completely different meanings than they do today. Social media a bigger beast now, the public is much less forgiving, and victims are finally being empowered en masse. I don't think either Izzo or Dantonio survive this, whether it's their call or directed from above. This is a cloud that will hang over both of them for the rest of their tenures.

We shall see