Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mookied39

MSU....Heat on Izzo?

13 hours ago, IU-DL said:

Was speaking with some friends recently, and isn't it ironic that this just "went away" for Izzo & Company, yet again?  Believably unbelievable. Key staff surrounding the golden boy all fired, yet Izzo remains standing. Lord help the ladies involved (and their fathers) who now know sports trumps all. If this were 99% of other schools, a full house cleaning would have been done.  Makes my blood boil to know they get away with this ****.

I think this is far from over.  More the beginning.  And I think some refs are going to make sure State does not get close to the title game with covert gnudges from the top.

I dont think the NCAA can vacate so many titles year upon year sport upon sport. Would kinda be surprised if a squeaky clean cinderella does not win it all this year.  That's a much better story than the story the NCAA would have to tell a few years from now when they would presumably have to vacate another major title, right after they finally inevitably lose big bright spotlighted cases to Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and friends, FBI cases involving bribes, burying of rape cases against athletes, and allowing so many athletes and coaches to commit so much wrong under billowing clouds of suspicion while continuing to be allowed to represent the school and national college athletics as role models and heroes.

Very far from over IMO.

Aly Raisman just got involved less than two weeks ago.  I would expect a lot of money and power to fall in line behind that.  And State seems to want to try to fight, when they already should have surrendered a long time ago. Those fights are most likely going to be spectacular bloody charges into a heavily fortified no man's land. Every week a new big bombshell seems to drop.

A few good side pluses could even come from all of this. ESPN and old school yes boy blowhards like Dick Vitale might each become collateral damage statistics for different reasons in the end lol.

I think this is far from over.  More the beginning.  And I think some refs are going to make sure State does not get close to the title game with covert gnudges from the top.

I dont think the NCAA can vacate so many titles year upon year sport upon sport. Would kinda be surprised if a squeaky clean cinderella does not win it all this year.  That's a much better story than the story the NCAA would have to tell a few years from now when they would presumably have to vacate another major title, right after they finally inevitably lose big bright spotlighted cases to Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and friends, FBI cases involving bribes, burying of rape cases against athletes, and allowing so many athletes and coaches to commit so much wrong under billowing clouds of suspicion while continuing to be allowed to represent the school and national college athletics as role models and heroes.

Very far from over IMO.

Aly Raisman just got involved less than two weeks ago.  I would expect a lot of money and power to fall in line behind that.  And State seems to want to try to fight, when they already should have surrendered a long time ago. Those fights are most likely going to be spectacular bloody charges into a heavily fortified no man's land. Every week a new big bombshell seems to drop.

A few good side pluses could even come from all of this. ESPN and old school yes boy blowhards like Dick Vitale might each become collateral damage statistics for different reasons in the end lol.

This seems a bit to optimistic. I dont think they will rig the tournament and i think they would be happy with a duke kentucky type winner. If your theory is true i could see them rigging it for a purdue type to win which is scary as hell imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Never said the chants had to be classless. See nothing wrong with a "Time to Retire" chant. 
Instead we protected his feelings. 
Shame the scum never protected the women of his community with the same effort. 

I think he knows how people feel, even if the masses haven't stormed the castle in East Lansing.

And I don't think the public will hurt his feelings. We weren't protecting him. We were protecting our image.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Never said the chants had to be classless. See nothing wrong with a "Time to Retire" chant. 
Instead we protected his feelings. 
Shame the scum never protected the women of his community with the same effort. 
Do you really think that's all they would chant?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

Do you really think that's all they would chant?

There's a middle ground between completely silencing a group and requiring it to be respectful. 

Instead IU helped stop the discussion. Once it stopped getting talked about it can be swept under the rug. IU helped do that. 

My 10 years in Bloomington never gave me the impression the administration really cared about sexual assault prevention. So not really surprised

There would've been zero benefit to the student section chanting anything related to the sexual assault controversy. The media would've spun it in a way that makes IU look bad, and we don't need that kind of bad publicity. The situation has nothing to do with us. It was best to stay out of it.  It isn't like our chants would've been what took Izzo down, anyway.

There would've been zero benefit to the student section chanting anything related to the sexual assault controversy. The media would've spun it in a way that makes IU look bad, and we don't need that kind of bad publicity. The situation has nothing to do with us. It was best to stay out of it.  It isn't like our chants would've been what took Izzo down, anyway.

Correct. The chants would have been the story. Not the story. Not the women. The school itself is doing everything it can to retain him. I can promise you the people that wanted to chant or say something did. I was there that game. Same as every other school they faced. Can’t believe that card got some up in arms. It was more about the cursing on national TV. A lot of people are done with that. It was out of hand this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

False the benefit would be this wouldn't be swept under the rug.  because it wouldn't have gone out of the public consciousness

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

False the benefit would be this wouldn't be swept under the rug.  because it wouldn't have gone out of the public consciousness

It's not on IU to hold Izzo accountable. If MSU planned on sweeping it under the rug a couple chants from the IU student section wouldn't stop them. It wouldn't have benefitted IU in the slightest, but it definitely could have hurt us. The story wouldn't have been "wow look at how courageous the IU fans were," it would've been "the IU fans are so disrespectful, another black mark for a once great program." 

5 hours ago, coonhounds said:

This seems a bit to optimistic. I dont think they will rig the tournament and i think they would be happy with a duke kentucky type winner. If your theory is true i could see them rigging it for a purdue type to win which is scary as hell imo

jmo my message board guess not a bold prediction. future timeline for next few years?

I see the Nassar related civil suits against State playing out loudly next.

Sprinkle in some more FBI bribe scandal facts coming to light.

Then the civil suits against the NCAA play out causing NCAA to fidget.

More bribe scandal facts come out.

Civil suits involving athlete rapes play out.

More bribe scandal.

Just a guess, not a case I am staking.

All the while I expect MSU recruiting to take hits.

With the joy of coaching declining as the result, and nothing really left for Izzo to prove as a coach, I expect him to move on at some stage from what has now become much more negative and stressful than it used to be to something a lot more fun. He is 63 years old now.  When the season is over he will have more time to reflect.

I could have gone for the entire student section turning its back on MSU when they were announced with a message on the back of tshirts like "save the girl" or "pray for the victims."

Follow the money and you'll find an answer. It's a sad truth that the NCAA and a lot of big time programs care more for the almighty dollar than doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It's not on IU to hold Izzo accountable. If MSU planned on sweeping it under the rug a couple chants from the IU student section wouldn't stop them. It wouldn't have benefitted IU in the slightest, but it definitely could have hurt us. The story wouldn't have been "wow look at how courageous the IU fans were," it would've been "the IU fans are so disrespectful, another black mark for a once great program." 

It's not about IUs job it's about being a decent human being/organization. 

Its not my job to give first aid to somebody who is hurt but I've done it. 

And yes if every single student section had changed that it was time for izzo to step down then this story is still getting talked about and the pressure would have kept building. 

On 3/15/2018 at 4:49 AM, coonhounds said:

Well, whaddya know? Major Upset Alert. 13 BUF over 4 AZ lol.  Could be anything.  But also could be a "hmmm..."

And now there goes State.  Buh-bye.

Doesn't prove anything, but teams rolling in the mud at tourney time seem to go down in just about every sport.  I tend to think that is at least partly influenced by each sport's interest in marketing the brand.

I picked Michigan State to win it all in 2014, 2016, and this year. I had them in the final four in 2012 when they were a 1 seed. Izzo used to be known for playing deep into March. Since surprisingly making the final four in 2015 his teams have flopped. I feel like the last five-six years he has had the most talent he has had since the Flintstones days. Gary Harris, Adrien Payne, Keith Appling, Denzel Valentine, Draymond Green, Miles Bridges, Jaren Jackson just to name a few. I wonder what has been going on. 

59 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Win baby win. I guess not this year but enough to turn a blind eye.

Tom Izzo on returning to Michigan State: ‘I don’t plan on going anywhere’

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'd take anything Izzo says right now with a grain of salt and a shot of bourbon . I say MSU lets him retire and he does!

I came home from eating fish at the KC Hall. Fox was on and the were interviewing one of the ladies from MSU who was assaulted. I just caught the tail end, but it sounded like she was complaining that MSU is trying to sweep everything under the rug. I'll try to find the interview online and post it.