Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mookied39

MSU....Heat on Izzo?

13 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Izzo will be back next year. Bank it.Win baby win.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maybe so.  I am watching along with you.  From this outsider's perspective I just think that there are way too many separate enormous problems coming to light within that athletic department right now for Izzo to survive all the pressures the many different outside and inside forces are going to be hammering away at that university athletic program and basketball program specifically for a long time to come.  At some point I expect either Izzo to make the choice for himself to step down, or his new boss, or his new boss' boss, or the Board of Trustees, or the FBI, or the NCAA, or a lawyer or a group of lawyers representing the #metoo movement or an individual or a class action, or a judge or whoever else is out there with another story or stories we have not even heard yet, or the general public, or the media but most likely all of the above are going to force this issue.  Way too much going on.

Maybe so.  I am watching along with you.  From this outsider's perspective I just think that there are way too many separate enormous problems coming to light within that athletic department right now for Izzo to survive all the pressures the many different outside and inside forces are going to be hammering away at that university athletic program and basketball program specifically for a long time to come.  At some point I expect either Izzo to make the choice for himself to step down, or his new boss, or his new boss' boss, or the Board of Trustees, or the FBI, or the NCAA, or a lawyer or a group of lawyers representing the #metoo movement or an individual or a class action, or a judge or whoever else is out there with another story or stories we have not even heard yet, or the general public, or the media but most likely all of the above are going to force this issue.  Way too much going on.

Seems to me the handwriting should be on the wall. I won't be at all surprised if Izzo decides to retire after the season. He is 63 but as someone else mentioned, he looks like he's aged 10 years in the past 6 months. I'm sure if this was just pure basketball and he didn't have to deal with all these other issues he could coach for another decade. Now? Not so much. Unfortunately, I don't see Dane getting the shot to replace him since he was on this bus when the wheels fell off.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Seems to me the handwriting should be on the wall. I won't be at all surprised if Izzo decides to retire after the season. He is 63 but as someone else mentioned, he looks like he's aged 10 years in the past 6 months. I'm sure if this was just pure basketball and he didn't have to deal with all these other issues he could coach for another decade. Now? Not so much. Unfortunately, I don't see Dane getting the shot to replace him since he was on this bus when the wheels fell off.

That job can't possibly be fun anymore.  It's not even going to be fun for quite a while for a squeaky clean replacement who had absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

10 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

It appears the consensus is that Izzo is destined to become Wuzzo.  Will Fife get or want the job?

I'd love to see Dane get a big gig somewhere... not sure MSU is the place... and there's always the tendency to clean house after a scandal, so perhaps he'll be looking for a job... 

I am not implying in any way, shape or form that Dane is dirty or has done anything wrong, but if there's a culture of abuse/violations/dirt at MSU (or any school, for that matter), there seems to be a tendency to paint the entire staff with that same brush.

It appears the consensus is that Izzo is destined to become Wuzzo.  Will Fife get or want the job?

I have mixed feelings about this. My initial thought was why wouldn't he want this job? It's arguably a top 10 job, the peripheral stuff notwithstanding.
But just a few moments more thought into it made me think he should run for the hills if they offered it. He would be following a legend, dirty or not. If you've read "Following the General" you can easily see the traps in that. As Steve Alford said, I would think Dane wouldn't want to replace Izzo, he would want to be the one who replaces the one who replaced Izzo. That thought has a lot of merit.
Finally, a jump to MSU HC when his last HC job was at Ft Wayne would come with several built-in concerns, mainly fighting an uphill battle from jump street because so many fans will automatically feel like he isn't qualified. That would be a really tough spot for him but I would root for him to succeed every step of the way....well, except for a couple games a year against his alma mater......

Lord only knows what big name coaches will come out of the investigation unscathed. The fact there are 20+ coaches and schools possibly involved could potentially move the available coaches poll into a sweepstakes. Then again, this could turn out to be more about players eligibility, and the coaches taking a, "I wasn't aware" attitude. I am with the Izzo can't survive the tsunami headed his way crowd. ESPN will be his next employer.

The following a legend issue is a big one, IMO.  Very rarely is the first or even second successor to a "legendary" coach successful enough to last more than a couple of seasons.  It looks like we'll be seeing this at UL, maybe MSU, and eventually at NC and Duke. 

As to Fife, I'm probably in the minority and hold an unpopular opinion about him.  It still sticks in my craw that he was one of the most vocal about demanding that Mike Davis be made the permanent (not interim) coach in that first post-RMK season.

1 hour ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I'd love to see Dane get a big gig somewhere... not sure MSU is the place... and there's always the tendency to clean house after a scandal, so perhaps he'll be looking for a job... 

I am not implying in any way, shape or form that Dane is dirty or has done anything wrong, but if there's a culture of abuse/violations/dirt at MSU (or any school, for that matter), there seems to be a tendency to paint the entire staff with that same brush.

I have no idea if Fife is directly involved either, but is it plausible to be on the staff and not at least know what is going on? 

Guilt by association sucks, but there it is. 

I have no idea if Fife is directly involved either, but is it plausible to be on the staff and not at least know what is going on? 

Guilt by association sucks, but there it is. 

Seems hard to believe he wouldn't at least have knowledge of it.

Does anyone think David Padgett was totally unaware at Louisville? Hes still there and may end up keeping that job.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

Does anyone think Scott Padgett was totally unaware at Louisville? Hes still there and may end up keeping that job.

David

Izzo could run off to the NBA to make it look like he is just pursuing a new challenge and never admit anything. I'm sure he could find a spot somewhere.
Whatever he does it will be done to make him look like he left on his own. Izzo is one of these coach k types that people like vitale think walk on water.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, pumpfake said:

The following a legend issue is a big one, IMO.  Very rarely is the first or even second successor to a "legendary" coach successful enough to last more than a couple of seasons.  It looks like we'll be seeing this at UL, maybe MSU, and eventually at NC and Duke. 

As to Fife, I'm probably in the minority and hold an unpopular opinion about him.  It still sticks in my craw that he was one of the most vocal about demanding that Mike Davis be made the permanent (not interim) coach in that first post-RMK season.

"remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember me for thy goodness' sake" (insert MJ dunking over head poster HERE lol)

When he first took over at Louisville I thought it was Scott. After looking it up it made me feel real old when I realized it was David lol

I knew it was David,

Senior moment,happening all too frequently.

5 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

Does anyone think David Padgett was totally unaware at Louisville? Hes still there and may end up keeping that job.

I Agree. Also, think about 2 IU rivals potentially replacing HoF coaches with unproven youngsters! Sure they may turn out to be terrific for a long time....or they may crash and burn the respective programs! I choose the latter, please. 

I don't believe MSU has a lot of intrinsic value and will likely whither away after Izzo, unless they get a really strong hire. 

Louisville floundered for how long after the mid-80's before selling their soul for Pitinio? I like the way this is shaping up.