Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

You're consistent with your assessment of Rob P., and if you are right...wow...it would be truly outstanding.  For me? I expect there to be a real adjustment period to the college game for him, but after seeing the summer workout video with Rob's elbow over the rim while dunking, I'm quite convinced that size and athleticism will not be an issue.

As for DeVonte Green, I see a high ceiling for him. Not sure how well it will translate to extended starter minutes at the point, but there are plenty of anecdotal examples of the switch flipping for players of his ilk, and really good stuff then can follow.

I saw the video of RP also, and I’m pleasantly surprised at his athleticism. I thought this part of his game was somewhat lacking. I also love the fact Arch isn’t promising recruits what can only be earned in practice & play.

50 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

RP is currently quite the interesting enigma on this board.  Those of us who watched him play numerous games over his high school career really believe he is a jewel and will end his IU career considered as among the best IU PG's ever.  At the other end are those who consider him to be a question mark as a B1G PG.  That's fair and I'm not claiming he's going to set the world on fire from day 1 but this kid can flat out play.  Great court vision, ball handling and a pass first mentality.  His high school senior year he didn't have the supporting cast he had as a soph. and jr. and he had to take a larger share of the scoring load and he did just that and did it quite well.   I truly believe we're in for a real treat.  

I think there's also a portion of fan (hello) who are just hesitant to expect much of a freshman in the B1G. Definitely believe all the people singing his praises, but I don't expect him to walk in and own the starting role day one.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

RP is currently quite the interesting enigma on this board.  Those of us who watched him play numerous games over his high school career really believe he is a jewel and will end his IU career considered as among the best IU PG's ever.  At the other end are those who consider him to be a question mark as a B1G PG.  That's fair and I'm not claiming he's going to set the world on fire from day 1 but this kid can flat out play.  Great court vision, ball handling and a pass first mentality.  His high school senior year he didn't have the supporting cast he had as a soph. and jr. and he had to take a larger share of the scoring load and he did just that and did it quite well.   I truly believe we're in for a real treat.  

What's fun for me is, I've never seen him play at all, so I kinda feel like a kid in the months leading up to Christmas!  Not really sure what to expect, but excited nonetheless!  

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think there's also a portion of fan (hello) who are just hesitant to expect much of a freshman in the B1G. Definitely believe all the people singing his praises, but I don't expect him to walk in and own the starting role day one.

If RP and Hunter are ready to contribute as Freshman that has to be the best recruiting class in recent history

Here's how I feel:

Known Quantities (not all of them are star players, just known quantities):

• Romeo Langford
  • Juwan Morgan
  • Evan Fitzner
  • Zach McRoberts
  • Justin Smith

Point guard = Question Mark - Need to go one for three:

• Al Durham
  • Rob Phinisee
  • DeVonte Green

Rim Protector = Question Mark - Need to Go One For Four:

• Race Thompson
  • Clifton Moore
  • DeRon Davis
  • Jake Forrester

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Here's how I feel:

Known Quantities (not all star players, just known quantities):

• Romeo Langford
  • Juwan Morgan
  • Evan Fitzner
  • Zach McRoberts
  • Justin Smith

• Al Durham
  • Rob Phinisee
  • DeVonte Green

• Race Thompson
  • Clifton Moore
  • DeRon Davis
  • Jake Forrester

One of the best posts on this topic. 

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Here's how I feel:

Known Quantities (not all star players, just known quantities):

• Romeo Langford
  • Juwan Morgan
  • Evan Fitzner
  • Zach McRoberts
  • Justin Smith

• Al Durham
  • Rob Phinisee
  • DeVonte Green

• Race Thompson
  • Clifton Moore
  • DeRon Davis
  • Jake Forrester

Just my opinion but point guard comes down to Phinesee. Green may be a better player this year but I just can't see him developing into a true PG given his style. For rim protector, it comes down to Forrester. Deron won't be healthy to start the year. Clifton seems like a perimeter guy who won't bang much and Race is only what 6"7-6"8? Not sure he fits that description although I have hopes he will contribute. 

He just transferred to OSU after this last season at Florida State so he will be eligble for 19-20' season I believe. 
How is holtmann getting all these top guys? I thought his recruiting was not that great. It seems like Thad matta again coming in and getting studs from day one.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I've been on the Green bandwagon for awhile. (That's not to say Phinisee isn't good or won't play) Green's ability to impact the game is between the ears. He has the skills and ability to be a solid Big Ten point. When he chooses to start making the solid safe play instead of trying to be MVP of the AND1 circuit he'll impact this team. Hopefully this is his breakout year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm wondering about Clifton Moore. Will or is he developing into a kid with useable minutes or no?

I wonder the same. I believe still, he has unreal potential. Really like his shot blocking ability. I begged to see more of him last season, but when I did, he acted lost on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I wonder the same. I believe still, he has unreal potential. Really like his shot blocking ability. I begged to see more of him last season, but when I did, he acted lost on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It would be great if he can block or alter some shots, grab boards, and the garbage bucket. But you are right he did look pretty lost. Would just be good as well to have another true big to use besides Fitz until De'Ron is ready to come back.

It would be great if he can block or alter some shots, grab boards, and the garbage bucket. But you are right he did look pretty lost. Would just be good as well to have another true big to use besides Fitz until De'Ron is ready to come back.
I would think he is still another year away.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I am simply shaking my head.  I wonder sometimes if "experts" really have a clue about anything.   (again, not a shot at anyone here, but simply at the oversight he has dealt with for years)  Robert Phinisee is  better as a point guard than Al Durham or Green right now.  Yes, he is younger and smaller.  I get all of that.   But I am here to tell you having seen him up close many times and having been around the game a long time that he is better right now than Yogi was at this age.  Yogi got MUCH bigger and stronger; and his game developed; but at this stage?  Phinissee is better.  And he will surprise a lot of people.

I've let you do all the talking around here on this topic but just know I feel the same way. I've seen him several times and yeah he's constantly overlooked for whatever reason. Very complete player, excellent point guard skills.