Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

From what I have been told is that Ohio St offered Carton to start from day 1. IU and UM were not willing to give him a starting spot. We feel very good this offseason with how well Green, Durham have looked and now having RP on campus. I said this last year so take it for what it's worth but Green has looked unbelievable this offseason. Now let's hope he can take it to games this season. 

It only makes us better so I hope. Any word on how the freshman have looked?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Hunter has been better than expected, Romeo works extremely hard, Forrester is a little more athletic than we thought. One thing that everyone says is these guys live in the gym. Nothing to do for 18-year-olds in the summer in Bloomington so they spend a lot of time in the gym.

A top 50 recruit is better than expected. Awesome news

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

To answer your other question. Green has been off the charts this summer, Smith very good, Durham shot has improved, Race shows signs of helping. Morgan has been Morgan. That's all I have off of the top of my head. 

Great reports and most appreciated but I am holding my breath on Green since we kinda sorta heard the same reports on him last summer.  Love the fact our freshmen appear to be gym rats at least up to this point.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Great reports and most appreciated but I am holding my breath on Green since we kinda sorta heard the same reports on him last summer.  Love the fact our freshmen appear to be gym rats at least up to this point.

Totally understand, I get it because I was the one saying the same thing last summer about Green but it's different this summer for now at least.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Totally understand, I get it because I was the one saying the same thing last summer about Green but it's different this summer for now at least.

I feel your reports last summer were less certain. More hes shown improvement and what not which he obviously did. 

You dont have a 6 game stretch like he did without skill

26/49 shooting. 14/23 3%. 4.5 Assists. With OSU and MSU in that stretch. 

He clearly improved his ability but but working within the system seemed to elude him 

Hunter has been better than expected, Romeo works extremely hard, Forrester is a little more athletic than we thought. One thing that everyone says is these guys live in the gym. Nothing to do for 18-year-olds in the summer in Bloomington so they spend a lot of time in the gym.
Thanks Chris,
No mention of Phinessee though ,hope its oversight and not an indicator of his abilities as I feel we will need him to at least back up Green.

2 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

Thanks Chris,
No mention of Phinessee though ,hope its oversight and not an indicator of his abilities as I feel we will need him to at least back up Green.

He'll be fine. Not heard anything bad about any of them. We also have Durham who can back up Green if we need him too.

27 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

Thanks Chris,

I am simply shaking my head.  I wonder sometimes if "experts" really have a clue about anything.   (again, not a shot at anyone here, but simply at the oversight he has dealt with for years)  Robert Phinisee is  better as a point guard than Al Durham or Green right now.  Yes, he is younger and smaller.  I get all of that.   But I am here to tell you having seen him up close many times and having been around the game a long time that he is better right now than Yogi was at this age.  Yogi got MUCH bigger and stronger; and his game developed; but at this stage?  Phinissee is better.  And he will surprise a lot of people.

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I am simply shaking my head.  I wonder sometimes if "experts" really have a clue about anything.   (again, not a shot at anyone here, but simply at the oversight he has dealt with for years)  Robert Phinisee is  better as a point guard than Al Durham or Green right now.  Yes, he is younger and smaller.  I get all of that.   But I am here to tell you having seen him up close many times and having been around the game a long time that he is better right now than Yogi was at this age.  Yogi got MUCH bigger and stronger; and his game developed; but at this stage?  Phinissee is better.  And he will surprise a lot of people.

You're consistent with your assessment of Rob P., and if you are right...wow...it would be truly outstanding.  For me? I expect there to be a real adjustment period to the college game for him, but after seeing the summer workout video with Rob's elbow over the rim while dunking, I'm quite convinced that size and athleticism will not be an issue.

As for DeVonte Green, I see a high ceiling for him. Not sure how well it will translate to extended starter minutes at the point, but there are plenty of anecdotal examples of the switch flipping for players of his ilk, and really good stuff then can follow.

From what I have been told is that Ohio St offered Carton to start from day 1. IU and UM were not willing to give him a starting spot. We feel very good this offseason with how well Green, Durham have looked and now having RP on campus. I said this last year so take it for what it's worth but Green has looked unbelievable this offseason. Now let's hope he can take it to games this season. 

It will be interesting to see what happens at OSU. It seems they told CJ Walker he would start from day 1 after his redshirt year

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I don't think Chris' info is coming from "experts". More so someone who is watching RP and the rest of the team in the gym/practice...

14 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

If you are right you get so much bragging rights. I’m hoping you are right. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

It will be interesting to see what happens at OSU. It seems they told CJ Walker he would start from day 1 after his redshirt year

Ohp. He got that in writing on his contract right? Oh the school has all the power and doesn't really need to keep promises to kids once they sign on the dotted line? Oh.

I've seen Rob play several times and believe he's a better decision maker than Green now and our primary point guard after a break in period.Just seems odd to me how he gets overlooked.
I flat out love the kid.