Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) SG Armaan Franklin to IU

I don't agree, I think we need to pursue the best recruits in the nation no matter if they're from Indiana or Uranus.  I don't understand giving preference to recruits based upon their area code instead of their talent level.  I'm not hating on this pickup (welcome Armaan!), I just disagree with the premise.  Is Archie recruiting him over better prospects because of what hospital he was born in?  I know that's what a lot of vocal fans want, but I hope that's not the case in spite of his comments.

I do like that Purdoo wanted him and we got him though.  I like that a lot.  I hope we win a lot of games together Armaan, welcome to Hoosier Nation!

I get this position but I would add that a little state pride could go a long way. If we're recruiting two similar players and one is from the state I'd take him. Also, I don't think I'd take a recruit from Uranus. The gravity of earth might mess with him a little.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get this position but I would add that a little state pride could go a long way. If we're recruiting two similar players and one is from the state I'd take him. Also, I don't think I'd take a recruit from Uranus. The gravity of earth might mess with him a little.

Plus Uraniuns are way to small to be playing in the Big.

50 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't agree, I think we need to pursue the best recruits in the nation no matter if they're from Indiana or Uranus.  I don't understand giving preference to recruits based upon their area code instead of their talent level.  I'm not hating on this pickup (welcome Armaan!), I just disagree with the premise.  Is Archie recruiting him over better prospects because of what hospital he was born in?  I know that's what a lot of vocal fans want, but I hope that's not the case in spite of his comments.

I do like that Purdoo wanted him and we got him though.  I like that a lot.  I hope we win a lot of games together Armaan, welcome to Hoosier Nation!

Indiana - like Florida for baseball and football, Texas for football - and the surrounding area has players who understand the game sometimes just a little better than kids from other places.   They have generally been very well coached, Indiana teams in particular do consistently well at national AAU tournaments; and they also understand more than kids from elsewhere what Indiana Basketball means.    That may not be important to you, which is fine, but it is to me and others.   Take a look at the rosters for Indiana's best teams over the years.   Where are those kids from?   Indiana and the donut states, primarily.   

I have no problem going to get high level kids from other states.  But I also think Indiana should be a priority, and it clearly is.  Why did we need Stanford Robinson?   Why did we need Peter Jurkin?   Just as examples, and I know the same holds true for kids from Indiana.  They do have to fit.  No doubt.  I like the inside out approach in basketball.    Football is a different animal.  Does that make sense?

Welcome to the family Armaan. Can't imagine what that must feel like for the  kid. I remember just warming up on the other end against Isiah and Landon and the boys and just about wetting myself. Actually wearing the candy stripes?  Damn. 

That being said, if Archie wants the kid, then I want him to have him. But if Franklin isn't ready to compete for rotation minutes early, and that seems to be the thinking here, then I really hope we're looking at someone who is, be it Ramsey or someone else. A '19 backcourt of Green, RP, Durham and Franklin  seems realllllly marginal to me unless Hunter, Brooks(hopefully) and some of the other wing types really do evolve into legitimate secondary creators.

24 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Indiana - like Florida for baseball and football, Texas for football - and the surrounding area has players who understand the game sometimes just a little better than kids from other places.   They have generally been very well coached, Indiana teams in particular do consistently well at national AAU tournaments; and they also understand more than kids from elsewhere what Indiana Basketball means.    That may not be important to you, which is fine, but it is to me and others.   Take a look at the rosters for Indiana's best teams over the years.   Where are those kids from?   Indiana and the donut states, primarily.   

I have no problem going to get high level kids from other states.  But I also think Indiana should be a priority, and it clearly is.  Why did we need Stanford Robinson?   Why did we need Peter Jurkin?   Just as examples, and I know the same holds true for kids from Indiana.  They do have to fit.  No doubt.  I like the inside out approach in basketball.    Football is a different animal.  Does that make sense?

Not really.  Remember "the movement"?  The last class that was all from Indiana that you all were so excited about and tried to make an example of?

That was terrible.   Judging a kid based upon his zip code is small minded imo.

43 minutes ago, Josh said:

Not really.  Remember "the movement"?  The last class that was all from Indiana that you all were so excited about and tried to make an example of?

This is short sighted in my opinion.  Indiana basketball talent is the life blood of the program. When you don’t focus inside out, then you alienate yourself from a tremendous talent pool. IU is not Duke, UK, Kansas, or UNC. IU isn’t going into NYC, NJ, or California and plucking 5* talent. IU is going to get the best talent in state and when we have a Romeo Langford come through the high school ranks, there is a tremendous amount of loyalty and cache built up with the grassroots programs across the state, that those coaches will then help guide our elite players to IU. 

While football and basketball are different, this would be similar to Ohio State or Texas not taking 4* kid from their own back yard. IU sits in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, it would be crazy to ignore that advantage. 

This doesn’t mean we don’t take a run at players elsewhere in the country. The foundation should always be homegrown players. So I you miss on an elite out of state player, then you still have a team that will compete with the top 1/4 of the conference. 

Recruiting out of state is fine. What has sparked off so many complaints from our fanbase is that in recent years, the fruits of our cross-country recruiting labors have resulted in players like Max Hoetzel and Tim Priller. Crean had to recruit those kinds of players because he burned bridges locally.

This is short sighted in my opinion.  Indiana basketball talent is the life blood of the program. When you don’t focus inside out, then you alienate yourself from a tremendous talent pool. IU is not Duke, UK, Kansas, or UNC. IU isn’t going into NYC, NJ, or California and plucking 5* talent. IU is going to get the best talent in state and when we have a Romeo Langford come through the high school ranks, there is a tremendous amount of loyalty and cache built up with the grassroots programs across the state, that those coaches will then help guide our elite players to IU. 
While football and basketball are different, this would be similar to Ohio State or Texas not taking 4* kid from their own back yard. IU sits in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, it would be crazy to ignore that advantage. 
This doesn’t mean we don’t take a run at players elsewhere in the country. The foundation should always be homegrown players. So I you miss on an elite out of state player, then you still have a team that will compete with the top 1/4 of the conference. 

Totally agree. Tom Crean and Mike Davis tried to recruit nationally in spite of the in state talent. If I recall, that did not work out very well

Purdue fans are taking this with the maturity and grace you would expect from them. The Purdue Barstool Twitter account in particular is awful, completely classless and immature. What an embarrasment. Worst fanbase I have ever seen.

That was entertaining. So is Hammer and Rails.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

"I know the same holds true for kids from Indiana.  They do have to fit.  No doubt."   Reading comprehension, my man.   The movement was my example in the other direction.  I just didn't say so.   Look at the rosters I said to look at.  Not the ones I used as a counter example.,

Who judged a kid based on his zip code?   What did I say that is even remotely untrue?   You think teams from all over the place recruit Indiana as hard as they do for no reason?   Why don't they recruit, say Tennessee that hard?  Or West Virginia?   Or Maine?  Or Florida for basketball players?  You think Izzo, Thad Matta, Steve Alford, etc all spend/spent tons of time in Indiana for any other reason than the players here are pretty damned good?   

Welcome home Armaan! Having a top Indiana recruit, one from our neighbors to the north’s usual hunting grounds; is a great example of securing our borders. For those of you who doubt this philosophy, get ready to see the results starting this season. I am a happy man knowing this young player has decided to wear the candy stripes. 

38 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Welcome home Armaan! Having a top Indiana recruit, one from our neighbors to the north’s usual hunting grounds; is a great example of securing our borders. For those of you who doubt this philosophy, get ready to see the results starting this season. I am a happy man knowing this young player has decided to wear the candy stripes. 

Exactly. All parts of the state. New Albany, South Bend, Lafayette and Indianapolis. That’s casting a net around the entire state. Soon to be Ft Wayne and Greenwood as well

11 hours ago, Demo said:

Welcome to the family Armaan. Can't imagine what that must feel like for the  kid. I remember just warming up on the other end against Isiah and Landon and the boys and just about wetting myself. Actually wearing the candy stripes?  Damn. 

That being said, if Archie wants the kid, then I want him to have him. But if Franklin isn't ready to compete for rotation minutes early, and that seems to be the thinking here, then I really hope we're looking at someone who is, be it Ramsey or someone else. A '19 backcourt of Green, RP, Durham and Franklin  seems realllllly marginal to me unless Hunter, Brooks(hopefully) and some of the other wing types really do evolve into legitimate secondary creators.

I think a backcourt of Green, RP, Durham, Franklin, Hunter, and Anderson is way better than marginal.