Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SG Brandon Newman to Purdue

38 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Archie decided to go with Franklin instead. Hopefully that proves to be a wise decision.

For a while I definitely preferred Newman. He is the better shooter of the 2. 

After some thought I believe that Armaan is probably a better fit in Archie’s system. He can handle, defend, and drive fairly well. If his shot ever becomes reliant he will be a versatile guy on our roster.

From reading around some, it seems Newman needs more work in more areas. 

28 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not convinced we got the better player here. Not going to fret though either.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Newman fan personally, but I do not believe the difference is enough to cry about. I wonder if this means anything for OSU's chances with Liddell because Newman was scheduled to visit OSU this weekend and Liddell appears to be announcing next week. 

Edited by FraneT

A 6'4" guard hitting over 40% from 3 is a major weapon.  I wanted him for sure, even over Ramsey.  He's an effective player, scoring over 18 ppg in EYBL this year.

I will say, I think Armaan is a better locker room guy.  It seems like coaches all love him, and the players too.  Is there anything to this?  I don't know, but it sounds good in my head.  

Juuuust for good measure, this excerpt from the article on Armaan:

During a holiday tournament last winter, when Cathedral faced Tindley, Franklin volunteered to guard Purdue signee Eric Hunter. He doubled his talented opponent up, holding Hunter to 15 points while scoring 30 of his own.

Linky:  https://usatodayhss.com/2018/armaan-franklin-indiana-basketball-recruiting

Definitely not Newman over Ramsey for me.

Speaking of which, lets get Ramsey to guard Newman. Newman won't be able to breathe.

This is the type of class that makes Purdue fans cocky. To them it's a Homerun. It's certainly a solid class, but we are also certainly aiming much higher.

Let's compare notes in 2 months.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Yep, they just need to add some freakishly large dork to play Center (and spread social diseases) and you have the quintessential Purdue class. Very solid, some skills.....but just not good enough to really matter. 

Malik Hall would be a big addition. 

2 hours ago, el drado said:

Where else would he go?  His mom is sick.  I would find it strange if he went somewhere else. Good luck to him too

I agree and wish him and his mom the best of luck. We can’t get them all, an I would rather him go to Purdue than another out of state school that poaches our in state talent.

I agree and wish him and his mom the best of luck. We can’t get them all, an I would rather him go to Purdue than another out of state school that poaches our in state talent.

This is true. Family issues aside, it always feels good to best Purdue, but definitely feels better to best them when they think they’ve hit a slam dunk with their in-state recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, schoosier said:

I gotta disagree with that. I would much rather an out of state school get a good Indiana recruit than Purdue. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I gotta disagree with that. I would much rather an out of state school get a good Indiana recruit than Purdue. 

I'm actually OK with him at Purdue. And, yes, he'll probably be a pain to the Hoosiers. But he is close to his family, and without knowing the details, that's probably the most important thing. We can't take everyone and I trust CAM to be the difference maker when it counts. I hope things work out for Newman and he realizes his dreams.

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm actually OK with him at Purdue. And, yes, he'll probably be a pain to the Hoosiers. But he is close to his family, and without knowing the details, that's probably the most important thing. We can't take everyone and I trust CAM to be the difference maker when it counts. I hope things work out for Newman and he realizes his dreams.

I'm fine with not getting him, and if it works out for the best with his family situation then that's good for him. In general though I'd rather Purdue get stuck with crummy recruits and be at the bottom of the Big 10. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm fine with not getting him, and if it works out for the best with his family situation then that's good for him. In general though I'd rather Purdue get stuck with crummy recruits and be at the bottom of the Big 10. 

I understand the thought process but I remember the classic contests between the Knight and Keady teams when both were really good. At the end of the day, I would rather beat them when they are also good. And when both teams each have several in state kids, it's even better.