Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SG Brandon Newman to Purdue

This kid is starting to put up some nice numbers.
@MichaelOsipoff: Final score: Valparaiso 69, Portage 41. Brandon Newman with 32 points and 10 rebounds, didn't play the final 3:38 of first half with two fouls or the final 4:24 with the game decided. #NWIBB

Nebraska assistant Michael Lewis was at the game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

23 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

This kid is starting to put up some nice numbers.

@MichaelOsipoff: Final score: Valparaiso 69, Portage 41. Brandon Newman with 32 points and 10 rebounds, didn't play the final 3:38 of first half with two fouls or the final 4:24 with the game decided. #NWIBB

Valparaiso 76, Penn 61. Vikings (8-3) get 39 points from Brandon Newman.  Not a bad weekend for the young man.

Ok, this kid needs his own thread. Here's some numbers this season. I couldn't find a few games. Ball State and Valpo are his only offers according to 247.

39/15 Penn
32/10 Portage
18/6   Fishers
33/14 FW North Side
23/14 EC Central
19/5   Lowell
27/10 Mishawaka
31/12 Hobart
18 pts Boone Grove

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Kinda curious now what's a better indicator for college success Indiana 4A performance versus AAU performance. 

Phinisee also has me wondering that. 

Don't think there's a perfect answer.   To me, there's a world of difference in the style of ball played and thus I think it's more the philosophy of the college head coach and the product he wants to put on the floor.   I think FCTC salivated over the AAU runners and gunners; Archie not so much.  In terms of high school rankings, clearly AAU performance drives the rankings and overall, AAU competition is going to be stronger than the typical 18-20 game high school schedule.  But again, I think AAU is a completely different style of basketball as is typically played in Indiana.  My $.02.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Don't think there's a perfect answer.   To me, there's a world of difference in the style of ball played and thus I think it's more the philosophy of the college head coach and the product he wants to put on the floor.   I think FCTC salivated over the AAU runners and gunners; Archie not so much.  In terms of high school rankings, clearly AAU performance drives the rankings and overall, AAU competition is going to be stronger than the typical 18-20 game high school schedule.  But again, I think AAU is a completely different style of basketball as is typically played in Indiana.  My $.02.

Yeah I don't think either is perfect but my gut tells me the organized teams might be closer than the AAU set ups. 

If I ever have time again I might try and do some digging on that

20 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah I don't think either is perfect but my gut tells me the organized teams might be closer than the AAU set ups. 

If I ever have time again I might try and do some digging on that

https://mobile.twitter.com/draftexpress/status/860133141897457664

Nike EYBL stats have translated really impressively to NCAA over the years. Competition level is strong. Some interesting sleepers emerging.” - @draftexpress

Not a comparison to IHSAA 4A, of course, but apparently top-level AAU stats are a good predictor of college performance.

13 minutes ago, lillurk said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/draftexpress/status/860133141897457664

Nike EYBL stats have translated really impressively to NCAA over the years. Competition level is strong. Some interesting sleepers emerging.” - @draftexpress

Not a comparison to IHSAA 4A, of course, but apparently top-level AAU stats are a good predictor of college performance.

fair enough. Still don't think AAU is fair for PGs

Agreed but it's not very conduscive to the pass first pg style. I'd be interested to see if that data only looked at scoring. 

You think?

They are playing with the best talents around. Isn't it the job of a pass first PG to elevate his teammates games by getting them the ball in the right spots at the right times.

I think we like to alter the facts to make ourselves feel better.

Now granted, not all AAU teams are the same and that could be a factor but generally the best players find ways to separate themselves no matter what team they are on.

To me, that is why AAU is a better indicator of college success than high school.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You think?

They are playing with the best talents around. Isn't it the job of a pass first PG to elevate his teammates games by getting them the ball in the right spots at the right times.

I think we like to alter the facts to make ourselves feel better.

Now granted, not all AAU teams are the same and that could be a factor but generally the best players find ways to separate themselves no matter what team they are on.

To me, that is why AAU is a better indicator of college success than high school.

Sometimes a pass first PG needs the ball to come back to him. Not every pass is meant to set up a shot  

From what i have seen in AAU its more guys jusy wanting the ball so they can score. More than high school teams at least. Clearly not everybody is like this. But without the same defensive effort by the opponent these guys dont always need their PG to create a situation for them. 

9 hours ago, ccgeneral said:

He made it with '19 SF Mason Gillis (New Castle). Another in-state heating up.

@1997Davis: 2019 recruits @GillisMason and @ballislife_219 are also in attendance to watch #iubb take on Northwestern.

OMG I love the focus on Indiana talent.  Unless you are trying to build a team like Kentucky or Duke there is more than enough talent in this state to build a championship team.  Obviously can still recruit kids that fit the model and are talented out of state but only go for winnable situations.  Like Hurt where we have a relationship.  Or east coast guys that Bruiser has relationships with.