Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

High School Basketball Thread

There may actually be a high school basketball season in Illinois and then again there may not.  Confusion still reigns in the state but at least some schools may be able to play a few games.  This is part of today's announcement:

The Illinois High School Association announced on Wednesday that basketball season will start immediately and run until March 13. Teams will need seven days of practice before they can play games and the schools must be in COVID-19 regions that have reached Phase 4.  Basketball won’t have any postseason.

Local school districts still have the authority to cancel this limited season in its entirety if they so desire.  There is also a major question mark as to what the Chicago Public School system will do.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/high-school-sports/2021/1/27/22252908/high-school-basketball-ihsa-coronavirus

There may actually be a high school basketball season in Illinois and then again there may not.  Confusion still reigns in the state but at least some schools may be able to play a few games.  This is part of today's announcement:
The Illinois High School Association announced on Wednesday that basketball season will start immediately and run until March 13. Teams will need seven days of practice before they can play games and the schools must be in COVID-19 regions that have reached Phase 4.  Basketball won’t have any postseason.
Local school districts still have the authority to cancel this limited season in its entirety if they so desire.  There is also a major question mark as to what the Chicago Public School system will do.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/high-school-sports/2021/1/27/22252908/high-school-basketball-ihsa-coronavirus
Our f---ing Governor is a f---ing idiot

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Our f---ing Governor is a f---ing idiot

Let's try to all be consistent and use the preferred Aloha shorthand --  f****ing Governor is a f****ing idiot.    Thank you.

And people wonder why more people don't want to be officials.

Police called. A battery occurred at Kokomo High School.  Male battered an official at a basketball game. 

UPDATE:  Original report incorrect.  It was an official who attacked a fan!

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Clarification

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In a game last night in northern Indiana, Northridge hit 23 3-pointers against Plymouth.  Kid from Northridge hit 9 of the 23.

Also in northern Indiana, a game between a couple smaller schools, Southern Wells and South Adams. Southern Wells hit 18 threes, South Adams hit 11. South Adams won 88-76. 

Good shooting still exists in this state, even if the state's flagship university no longer displays it. 

And people wonder why more people don't want to be officials.
Police called. A battery occurred at Kokomo High School.  Male battered an official at a basketball game. 
UPDATE:  Original report incorrect.  It was an official who attacked a fan!
Any stories on the incident in the media?

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Any stories on the incident in the media?

Won't be any Kokomo Tribune newspaper until Tuesday morning and unless Earth is invaded by aliens from another galaxy it's doubtful anything will even be posted to the newspaper's website before then. 

Last weekend the head coach for Lighthouse Academy did an excellent impersonation of Bobby Knight throwing a chair onto the court because of what he felt was bad officiating.  He's since been fired.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/ihsaa-investigating-after-basketball-coach-tosses-chair-at-players-referee/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WISH-TV&fbclid=IwAR3t8joSlvRCf-1uQrVhGfqtvURIJH9JRW53sBAH6qTduvXOhOvo7ttNMPM

The IHSAA received a very harsh rebuke from a Marion County judge in overturning the IHSAA's decision prohibiting Jayden Brewer from playing varsity basketball at Ben Davis HS following his transfer from Avon HS.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/02/01/indiana-high-school-basketball-jayden-brewer-gets-full-eligibility-ben-davis-transfer-ihsaa/4344403001/?fbclid=IwAR35VHkND2H6FJ0YoUK0s6I2qSkJ_c_a2sJ_KWG1tW8GbaME8hX_oexN0lA

38 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The IHSAA received a very harsh rebuke from a Marion County judge in overturning the IHSAA's decision prohibiting Jayden Brewer from playing varsity basketball at Ben Davis HS following his transfer from Avon HS.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/02/01/indiana-high-school-basketball-jayden-brewer-gets-full-eligibility-ben-davis-transfer-ihsaa/4344403001/?fbclid=IwAR35VHkND2H6FJ0YoUK0s6I2qSkJ_c_a2sJ_KWG1tW8GbaME8hX_oexN0lA

What in the **** is wrong with our system that a kid and his family has to go to a judge to be allowed to play a ******* game?!  I get tampering happens but **** (!) these are kids in high school.  If their family wants to drive them halfway across the state, every day, to go to school or practice then let them ******* do it.  ****!

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good deal. A lot of times this is just poor sportmanship from the previous school. Watched a good friend go through this last year. They couldnt afford to fight it in the courts.

Great game last night Shenandoah at New Castle. Jasper Campbell rebounds a missed free throw with under a second remaining in the  first half,throws it the full length of the court and it goes in! Then Kaden McCollough hits a step back three with about 2 seconds left to win it for Shenandoah.

This came up on my memories on FB

These are some of the teams that won 4 girls State Championship ships in 5 years. The first was in 86. My wife was the Senior Manager(holding ball in top picture) that year.
The two years before that they finished second.7ed873c1eb860560f1f6b1af68668749.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, Alford Bailey said:

Great game last night Shenandoah at New Castle. Jasper Campbell rebounds a missed free throw with under a second remaining in the  first half,throws it the full length of the court and it goes in! Then Kaden McCollough hits a step back three with about 2 seconds left to win it for Shenandoah.

With the closure of Anderson Highland, I have heard Shenandoah has become a larger school. At any rate they could always ball. I attended Pendleton Heights and we played both schools annually.

35 minutes ago, schoosier said:

With the closure of Anderson Highland, I have heard Shenandoah has become a larger school. At any rate they could always ball. I attended Pendleton Heights and we played both schools annually.

Pendleton Heights?  Know a Vaughn Duggins?

48 minutes ago, Rico said:

Pendleton Heights?  Know a Vaughn Duggins?

I don’t personally know him as he was younger, and I moved to SC. But he was a helluva player; committed to a D1 school and followed his coach to Wright St. He could jump out the gym and I believe he played pro ball overseas for a number of years. I played against the likes of Troy Lewis and Steve Alford, and we had a good team at the time for a county school.