Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

High School Basketball Thread

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Am currently watching Botkins vs Tri-Village,  2 Ohio small schools with no D1 kids within a country mile. Think Hickory if Jimmy Chitwood stayed on the farm. 1 team has identical twins with flat top haircuts named Elijah and Jacob, because, of course they are. 1 is the best player on the team. The other can’t play dead, but makes up for it with that combination of insane effort and awkwardness that guarantees he’s gonna get someone hurt. Sure enough, the kid dives madly into a pile after a loose ball he has no chance of getting and in doing so busts a kid in the mouth with the top of his head. The kid’s mouth is gushing . Nothing  called for jumping into a pile and his coach is literally bellowing with enthusiasm at his aggressiveness. I sometimes forget that backwoods high school hoops can be a different world.

Tri Village went undefeated to win a state championship a few years ago in Ohio.

Saw 4A #1 Chesterton play tonight.  They're very good but I would be very surprised if they were to contend with the Indianapolis area schools in the tournament.  

That said, 4A is going to be very wide open this year in the tournament.  Sagarin rates the top 15 schools in 4A as being within 10 points of each other.  Carmel is the highest rated team by Sagarin but they've already lost to three 4A teams.

19 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Saw 4A #1 Chesterton play tonight.  They're very good but I would be very surprised if they were to contend with the Indianapolis area schools in the tournament.    Carmel is the highest rated team by Sagarin 

Meh.  Chesterton beat Homestead and Homestead beat Carmel

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Meh.  Chesterton beat Homestead and Homestead beat Carmel

Yeah, Carmel has laid a couple of eggs.  Not saying I think they are the best team in 4A.......there aren't any great 4A teams this year.  Typically there are two or three teams rated over a 100 in Sagarin, this year there are a lot in the 90s but not in triple digits.

One thing Carmel has that Chesterton doesn't is a schedule that will get them ready for the tourney.  Carmel's SOS is rated the best in the state and 12 of their 13 games have been against top 64 teams and 9 of the 13 against top 25.  Chesterton has only played 2 top 25 and 3 top 64.  Whoever comes out of the Indy area to the state finals will have earned it....9 of the top 10 in 4A in the sagarin ratings are from the Indy area.  Chesterton's path is certainly easier but I could also see them not getting out of sectional.  Chesterton's point guard is a four year starter and he's averaging 19 points/game but he's their only double figure scorer and I do worry that when he meets up with a team that can put a guard with some size on him his speed will be neutralized.  He's only getting looks right now by D2 schools and at some point elite talent is going to matter.

Talent-wise, the best player in Northwest Indiana is Portage's Junior Kamari Slaughter.  Big problem with focus for him.  He's not showing up on recruiting services because you never know what you can get from him, but when he's focused he's basically a more athletic Brandon Newman.  Portage starts two freshman and their sixth man is a freshman as well and they could be really good next year.

Watched Leo vs Snider tonight. Leo pulled away in the 4th but was a close game most of the way. Leo should contend for a 3A title. 

I watched too. Our freshman team got ran out of the gym. We are too reliant on Bontrager but he’s really, really good. DJ Allen needs to have a bigger impact. We lack great shooting from the guard spot and we are too reluctant forcing the ball out of the hands of the other teams best player. Northrop and New Haven had upset wins for mostly these reasons. Great team though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Norwell has been on a good run this season.  They have definitely over-achieved this season.  It will be interesting to see what they do post season.  They are a tough, smart team.  

Of the three losses:

Mississinewa (first game of the season on the road)

Leo (determined by free throws at the end)

#1 Chesterton (only 4 point loss at the Noblesville classic)

Norwell has been on a good run this season.  They have definitely over-achieved this season.  It will be interesting to see what they do post season.  They are a tough, smart team.  
Of the three losses:
Mississinewa (first game of the season on the road)
Leo (determined by free throws at the end)
#1 Chesterton (only 4 point loss at the Noblesville classic)

Leo Vs East Noble tonight. Should be good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 1/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

Cathedral beats Tech to win the City Tournament, but... let's say there was no love lost at the end, forcing the game to be called off early.

Background for those not aware.  Officials declared the game over with around 30 sec. left and Cathedral with a large lead.  Really hard and unnecessary foul on the part of a Tech player and the players involved exchanged some words but it wasn't anything more than that.  However, assistant coaches from both teams started jawing and that's when the officials called the game before it could escalate further.

Tonight, both teams, coaches and the officials got together at Tech and put the matter to rest including a cutting down of the nets for Cathedral.  Unknown at this time if the IHSAA will take any action against either school.

Random complaint: when did teams start getting so lazy/secretive when printing team rosters? I remember when a roster showed each player's height, weight and grade. At some point awhile back, I began to notice more teams omitting their players' weight. Now, I'm seeing rosters that don't even include height. What's the deal? Coaches too lazy to take measurements? Players too insecure about their size? 

3 hours ago, landrus13 said:

West Vigo goes on the road to Marshall, IL and picks up a 38-35 win this afternoon.

Terre Haute North suffers their second loss of the season to Evansville North 61-56.

How did Zeke play tonight .

10 hours ago, Indiana muskie said:

How did Zeke play tonight .

He had 12 yesterday. Nobody played extremely well. I think everyone was tired since it was only like 16 hours in between games. He was excellent Friday night though. Had 22 on 6-10 from 3. Had 8 rebounds too.