Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

High School Basketball Thread

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Agree on the locker rooms and their tempo last year.

I did tell a SC guy that CV would give them all they wanted in the tourney last year. CV is very well coached. Very. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I did tell a SC guy that CV would give them all they wanted in the tourney last year. CV is very well coached. Very. 

I think they are playing at a faster pace this year. No stars on that team but they have a chance to win it all in 3A I think.

54 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I think they are playing at a faster pace this year. No stars on that team but they have a chance to win it all in 3A I think.

They had about a 6'2/6'3 kid on their JV last year... I cannot remember his name. I couldn't believe he played JV. 

He was the best JV player I coached against last year. I think he was a SO last year. 

Any idea how he's doing on V? 

57 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

That regional will be way less loaded this year with SC and HH coming back to reality. 

My Braves should be there though and won't be an easy out for anyone. 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They had about a 6'2/6'3 kid on their JV last year... I cannot remember his name. I couldn't believe he played JV. 

He was the best JV player I coached against last year. I think he was a SO last year. 

That class is stacked. Hard to say who as Brown was always pulling someone different down to play a jv game.

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

From looking at Maxpreps stats, it looks like you would either be talking about Josh Williams or Lucas Barron.  Both played some varsity last year but looks like very few minutes -- Williams played 15 games on varsity but scored just 0.7 ppg while Barron played 21 games on varsity and scored 1.6 ppg.

This season, Williams (listed at 6'3") is averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists to go along with 2 steals.  modest point totals but he's shooting 61% from the field and 43% from three.  Barron is averaging 14.8 ppg, 3.6 reb and 1 assist.....shooting 71% from the field and 39% from three.  Williams' numbers make him look more like a guard/distributor who is the better shooter (nearly half his shots are threes), Barron seems to be the bigger scorer -- averaged 9 1/2 ppg on JV as a freshman.  No stats posted for either of them for their sophomore JV year.

5 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

That class is stacked. Hard to say who as Brown was always pulling someone different down to play a jv game.

Have to say with the five quarters per night rule, seeing a lot of young fringe varsity players getting two quarters on JV and leaving them 3 for varsity.  Probably makes sense because you make sure they are getting minutes on the court from JV and still play them situationally on varsity.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

From looking at Maxpreps stats, it looks like you would either be talking about Josh Williams or Lucas Barron.  Both played some varsity last year but looks like very few minutes -- Williams played 15 games on varsity but scored just 0.7 ppg while Barron played 21 games on varsity and scored 1.6 ppg.

This season, Williams (listed at 6'3") is averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists to go along with 2 steals.  modest point totals but he's shooting 61% from the field and 43% from three.  Barron is averaging 14.8 ppg, 3.6 reb and 1 assist.....shooting 71% from the field and 39% from three.  Williams' numbers make him look more like a guard/distributor who is the better shooter (nearly half his shots are threes), Barron seems to be the bigger scorer -- averaged 9 1/2 ppg on JV as a freshman.  No stats posted for either of them for their sophomore JV year.

Not talking about this year. 

Any of you been to the gym at West Vigo? It's an old style gym built in the 60's. It's very nice. Tons of green everywhere. It's a bowl style with a stage on one of the court. A lot like Clay City if any of you have been there.

9 hours ago, Indiana muskie said:

Zeke Tanoss is getting a lil buzz at west vigo will end up the stud in the area senior year.

He was voted player of the week by the IndyStar. He can score and rebound very well. He's a stud but WV struggles when teams try to take him away. He needs to put on a little weight on his frame.

42 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

He was voted player of the week by the IndyStar. He can score and rebound very well. He's a stud but WV struggles when teams try to take him away. He needs to put on a little weight on his frame.

Yep. 

9 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Should be a bench technical I believe. What happened if I may ask?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kid got his 5th foul on a bucket and-1, scoreboard showed him with 5, but he stayed in the game. Play continued for about 10-15 seconds after the free throw before the buzzer sounded to get the officials' attention. They let his team sub for him and then went on like nothing had happened. 

This was one of the worst crews I've ever seen. With less than a minute left and the same team down two, a player on that team made the first of two shots to cut it to 1. He missed the second, other team rebounded the miss, only for the official to stop play and motion for a player at the scorer's table to come into the game. He then gave them a do-over on the free throw, and they made it to tie the game. 

All's well that ends well as the team that got hosed out of their skulls with these travesties escaped with a 1 point win. 

So I went back and watched the last few minutes of this game. I may have been a bit too harsh on the officials, as it appears the scorer's table played a part in these shenanigans as well. Apparently the scorer sounded the horn as the second free throw was attempted, trying to get the sub into the game. And get this...the kid shooting these free throws wasn't even the player who got fouled! The player at the line should have been a reserve who hadn't taken a shot all game (what I've termed a "cold shooter" in the last few minutes of a tight game). Instead, this team snuck their leading scorer to the line and no one noticed. 

Just a comedy of errors all around. 

Am currently watching Botkins vs Tri-Village,  2 Ohio small schools with no D1 kids within a country mile. Think Hickory if Jimmy Chitwood stayed on the farm. 1 team has identical twins with flat top haircuts named Elijah and Jacob, because, of course they are. 1 is the best player on the team. The other can’t play dead, but makes up for it with that combination of insane effort and awkwardness that guarantees he’s gonna get someone hurt. Sure enough, the kid dives madly into a pile after a loose ball he has no chance of getting and in doing so busts a kid in the mouth with the top of his head. The kid’s mouth is gushing . Nothing  called for jumping into a pile and his coach is literally bellowing with enthusiasm at his aggressiveness. I sometimes forget that backwoods high school hoops can be a different world.