Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

High School Basketball Thread

Do you know how many quarters/night players are given?

Off the top of my head I can't remember. I have submitted that question to our coach, but I don't believe their is a limit because smaller schools may not have numbers. I've seen kids from a small school play a Sophomore game in the morning, jv and some Varsity that night. This is illinois.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 10/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Effective with the start of the upcoming season.

The IHSAA has adopted a mercy rule for basketball beginning with the upcoming season.

It is similar to the football mercy rule, as far as the point spread. It will be used beginning in the second half of games.

IHSAA BASKETBALL “MERCY RULE” PROCEDURES

Basketball Mercy Rule is in effect at all levels of play and in the IHSAA tournament (Except for the State Finals), a running clock will be initiated after the first half when one team has a lead of thirty-five (35) points or more.

Once the running clock begins, regular timing procedures will not be used for the remainder of the game.

The Game Clock will run continuously except for the following situations when it will be stopped:

An official’s time-out for an injured participant.

A charged (team) time-out occurs.

Intermission between third and fourth quarter.

Anytime a foul is called that will result in free throws.

Anytime officials determine it is necessary for safety reasons.

This rule will take effect with the upcoming 2021-22 boys and girls basketball seasons.

I really don't know if I like this rule.

6 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I like it here in Illinois during tournaments or lower level games when the talent divide is huge

I understand but as a player I wouldn't have liked it.  

48 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I like it here in Illinois during tournaments or lower level games when the talent divide is huge

In football in Indiana, I believe that the mercy rule applies in sectional play, but after that it doesn't.  Don't know the plan for basketball.

Anywhere, in sectional play in basketball, if a coach is still playing his starters up 35, he's an idiot.  That's just asking for an injury knowing the next round is in a day or two.

Interesting. We saw this during the HS soccer season this fall and wondered about why we just noticed it. We have been in the top 15 most of the year so I assumed we were just better this year. It likely is the same idea but for soccer too.

I felt bad for our first opponent this year who was down 5-0 at half. At the beginning of the second half their PA discussed how if we got up by 9 the game would end. I felt for the team to have to hear that and try to remember what the coach said at halftime

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

MaxPreps pre-season rankings for what it calls the Independent Top 20, i.e., prep schools and academies.  You'll see a number of names that have IU targets on the roster.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/n2fqnYHq40a32iiWNVsU-g/high-school-basketball-rankings--az-compass-prep-opens-at-no-1-in-preseason-maxpreps-independent-top-20.htm

On 10/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

MaxPreps pre-season rankings for what it calls the Independent Top 20, i.e., prep schools and academies.  You'll see a number of names that have IU targets on the roster.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/n2fqnYHq40a32iiWNVsU-g/high-school-basketball-rankings--az-compass-prep-opens-at-no-1-in-preseason-maxpreps-independent-top-20.htm

I couldn't help but notice #7 in the poll.  Link Academy.  This is their 1st year?  LOL  Let's rank them #7 in the country.

I couldn't help but notice #7 in the poll.  Link Academy.  This is their 1st year?  LOL  Let's rank them #7 in the country.

I get what your saying but their roster is loaded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations to Lawrence North head boys basketball coach Jack Keefer, who picked up career win #850 in the Wildcats’ 57-45 win over Fort Wayne North last night. His current career record is an amazing 850-331, and 789-305 at Lawrence North. The Wildcats are currently 2-0 and ranked #5 in the latest IBCA poll.

Full day of hoops at Brownsburg HS this coming Saturday in its Sneakers for Santa event.

1. Brownsburg vs. Plainfield, 10 a.m.
  2. Gary 21st Century vs. Tuscola (Ill.), 11:30 a.m.
  3. Hammond Central vs. Fort Wayne North Side (Tae Johnson) 1:15 p.m.
  4. Crispus Attucks vs. Linton-Stockton (Joey Hart), 3 p.m.
  5. Carmel (Sam Orme) vs. Homestead, 4:45 p.m.
  6. Lawrence North vs. Heritage Christian, 6:30 p.m.  NOTE:  C. J. Gunn is out until the end of December with a broken toe.
  7. Cathedral (Xavier Booker) vs. Brush (Ohio), 8:15 p.m.:

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Saw a video on Twitter... I didn't know Carmel had such a small and boring gym. Was surprised. 

Dang man, it seats 4K lol 

I mean, I understand in our state that's only above average, but that's still a big gym. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dang man, it seats 4K lol 

I mean, I understand in our state that's only above average, but that's still a big gym. 

It's like 3800 I think. Just figured it would be bigger. Especially with a bigger school. But I guess it's abnormal for a HS like where I went to to have a gym as big as it did.