Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierCoop

High School Basketball Thread

28 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Indiana All-Star series against the Kentucky All-Stars will be played on June 11 in Owensboro, Ky., and June 12 at Southport Fieldhouse. The All-Stars will play an exhibition game against the Junior All-Stars at Brownsburg on June 9. Ryan Osborn, head coach at Carmel will coach the all-stars.

1. Shamar Avance - Law. North
  2. Brooks Barnhizer - Laf. Jeff
  3. Jalen Blackmon - Marion
  4. Luke Brown - Blackford
  5. Caleb Furst - FW Blackhawk
  6. Luke Goode - Homestead
  7. Kooper Jacobi - Silver Creek
  8. Trey Kaufman-Renn - Silver Creek
  9. J. R. Konieczny - S.B. St. Joseph
  10. Blake Sisley - Heritage Hills
  11. Jayden Taylor - Perry Meridian
  12. Pierce Thomas - Brownsburg
  13. Brian Waddell - Carmel
  14. Bake Wesley - S. B . Riley

Excellent team

Interesting to see what the IHSAA will decide to do in Indiana.  The National Federation of State High School Associations will permit implementation of a 35-second shot clock leaving the decision to implement or not to each state association.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/shot-clock-allowed-by-state-adoption-for-high-school-basketball-in-2022-23/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=NFHS_Org&fbclid=IwAR3v_D6Cpli1yyuw6yg2-KZNRuHT9GuY9pYVrbB74ZwDeKuoebzXTVeQEM4

Interesting to see what the IHSAA will decide to do in Indiana.  The National Federation of State High School Associations will permit implementation of a 35-second shot clock leaving the decision to implement or not to each state association.
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/shot-clock-allowed-by-state-adoption-for-high-school-basketball-in-2022-23/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=NFHS_Org&fbclid=IwAR3v_D6Cpli1yyuw6yg2-KZNRuHT9GuY9pYVrbB74ZwDeKuoebzXTVeQEM4
Personally, I am not necessarily against, but I don't think it is feasible.
I know of quite a few schools who have trouble getting enough competent people to help at the table right now for the clock, the book and Stats panel(if they have it). Now they have to find one more to do the shot clock, a job we see in the College game that constantly sees mistakes with people who are paid good money to operate(or at least FAR more than the 10-25 a game a teacher or someone in the community to do.
I know small schools that can barely afford the equipment to play the game and now they must spend a few thousand for the clock system?
Another question I have is what level? Just Varsity? Or the other levels also?
I have seen kids play F/S level on Saturday morning, then play JV later in the game and some Varsity. I could see some being confused.
Girls also?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Number of 'high school' powerhouses are forming a national league.

The National Interscholastic Basketball Conference will feature traditional powers Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) and Wasatch Academy (Utah), along with two other schools yet to be announced. The eight teams will play a 10-game regular season, play in special NIBC events and hold a postseason tournament.  Full story at link.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/31503278

CJ Gunn has all the measurables. But he’s really going to have to improve as a shooter to be the player he wants to be and we need him to be.  

I think his ranking is a pretty fair assessment.  Great length for a guard but ball handling isn’t tremendous and neither is the shooting. 

I’m not basing this post on an All Star game. 

CJ Gunn has all the measurables. But he’s really going to have to improve as a shooter to be the player he wants to be and we need him to be.  

I think his ranking is a pretty fair assessment.  Great length for a guard but ball handling isn’t tremendous and neither is the shooting. 

I’m not basing this post on an All Star game. 

I agree. His injury this summer is unfortunate as he seemed more focused on finding offense. It would have been great to see the results for the full AAU play.

I have seen him play twice and honestly had to try and find him on the court as he just was not notable enough to remember if you weren’t actively watching for him

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

The 16th annual Kevin Brown Memorial Tournament of Champions will be held Nov. 23-27, in Washington, IL.   In 2019, over 20 teams participated with most playing 4-games over the 5-day event.  Invite list is subdivided into 3 categories:  Washington Invitational, National Classic and TofC.

The list of this year's participating schools is slowly being released and thus far here are some of the names with some degree of IU interest who will be there.

• St. Anne's Belfield (VA):  F Carter Lang '23 and Justin Taylor '22 (Syracuse)
  • Indpls. Crispus Attucks:  PF Jalen Hooks '23
  • Western Reserve Academy (OH):  PG/SG Jacob Theodosiou '24
  • Joliet West (IL):  Jeremiah Fears '25 (Jeremy Fears' brother)

https://washingtontofc.org/

@WCHSTOC

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added link and Twitter

Another big high school event scheduled for January 21-22, 2022.  The Quincy Shootout in Quincy, IL, will feature 20 programs from across the U.S.   Some names that have appeared on the IU radar who will play:

• Peoria Notre Dame - SF Cooper Koch '24 (Formally offered last week)
  • Real Salt Lake - G Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn '23 (Held IU offer from Archie)
  • Huntington Prep - CG Maki Johnson '23
  • St. Rita Chicago - PF Morez Johnson '24

https://www.quincyshootout.com/

@QuincyShootout

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Another big high school event scheduled for January 21-22, 2022.  The Quincy Shootout in Quincy, IL, will feature 20 programs from across the U.S.   Some names that have appeared on the IU radar who will play:

• Peoria Notre Dame - SF Cooper Koch '24 (Formally offered last week)
  • Real Salt Lake - G Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn '23 (Held IU offer from Archie)
  • Huntington Prep - CG Maki Johnson '23
  • St. Rita Chicago - PF Morez Johnson '24

https://www.quincyshootout.com/

@QuincyShootout

Saw Keynote George was going to be there, so I was planning to pop up just to watch him. Then I started looking at the field and there are many good players there that I booked a room to stay both days. Just a terrific event. 

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

Saw Keynote George was going to be there, so I was planning to pop up just to watch him. Then I started looking at the field and there are many good players there that I booked a room to stay both days. Just a terrific event. 

Pressure's on.  We'll be expecting highly detailed scouting reports from you!!

Effective with the start of the upcoming season.

The IHSAA has adopted a mercy rule for basketball beginning with the upcoming season.

It is similar to the football mercy rule, as far as the point spread. It will be used beginning in the second half of games.

IHSAA BASKETBALL “MERCY RULE” PROCEDURES

Basketball Mercy Rule is in effect at all levels of play and in the IHSAA tournament (Except for the State Finals), a running clock will be initiated after the first half when one team has a lead of thirty-five (35) points or more.

Once the running clock begins, regular timing procedures will not be used for the remainder of the game.

The Game Clock will run continuously except for the following situations when it will be stopped:

An official’s time-out for an injured participant.

A charged (team) time-out occurs.

Intermission between third and fourth quarter.

Anytime a foul is called that will result in free throws.

Anytime officials determine it is necessary for safety reasons.

This rule will take effect with the upcoming 2021-22 boys and girls basketball seasons.

The IHSAA has adopted a mercy rule for basketball beginning with the upcoming season.
It is similar to the football mercy rule, as far as the point spread. It will be used beginning in the second half of games.
Basketball Mercy Rule is in effect at all levels of play and in the IHSAA tournament (Except for the State Finals), a running clock will be initiated after the first half when one team has a lead of thirty-five (35) points or more.
Once the running clock begins, regular timing procedures will not be used for the remainder of the game.
The Game Clock will run continuously except for the following situations when it will be stopped:
This rule will take effect with the upcoming 2021-22 boys and girls basketball seasons.
Similar to Illinois rules, with some differences
Starts 4th quarter
Clock runs during FTs except last minute.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I teach and keep stats for my high school's football team and keep the scorebook for my school's basketball team.  Our school's football a few times per season will be on the right side of the mercy rule (and has never been on the wrong side) but our basketball program will end up on the wrong side of the mercy rule to three or four opponents.

I know the arguments on both sides of the mercy rule.  What I would like to say is that in my observations, I have seen a distinct difference between football and basketball:

-- in football, a 35 point difference typically reveals a huge deficit in physical talent and, unfortunately, these are the type of games that there seem to be the most injuries occurring -- not just for the team being dominated, but for the team dominating as well.  Another positive thing that was done was the allowing of a combined six quarters of play for a player in the varsity and jv game (it used to be five).  Previously, if a team was up 35 at half or in the third quarter, they pretty much played their starters until the fourth quarter so that the younger reserves could play the full jv game.  Now, the younger players can play both the third and fourth quarter in a blowout of the varsity game and play the full jv game.  Typically the jv game is played on Saturday, the day after the varsity contest.

-- in basketball, I don't see the same type of injuries occurring in football when there is a mismatch.  The hope would be that once it hits 35 points, the head coach would pull the starters and get his reserves some game time since there likely isn't going to much that much change in the margin with the running (unfortunately, I have seen a number of head coaches play their starters well into the fourth quarter of a large blowout because for some reason they think there is a difference between a 40 and 50 point margin of victory -- plus they are looking to keep their starters stats up).  I'm not sure the running clock will likely have much effect other than cut the actual court time down for reserves -- unlike football, the jv game occurs before the varsity and players are allotted five quarters and not six.

4 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Similar to Illinois rules, with some differences
Starts 4th quarter
Clock runs during FTs except last minute.

Do you know how many quarters/night players are given?