Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2021 General Recruiting Thread

Is he selling TJDs spot? Seems like most people want TJD to be our 5 this year.  We’ve got our 5 for the future already. 

Problem with having 7 guys on the roster who can play 2 of the 3 positions of 2-4. It’s hard for incoming recruits to see minutes coming up when there’s several of players competing for the spot already. 

Missing on Miller does doesn’t doom us but 22 has to be better  
Our starters in 21-22 still look to be the same with or without Miller.  Gotta hope Hunter and Race both develop like we all hope  
Very concerned here 

Yeah, he’s selling his spot, or at least if he’s smart he was/is. That’s the best way to recruit. Players can envision themselves in that role. I am confident Archie was counting Kaufman as wrapped up. Like he did for Brooks.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, he’s selling his spot, or at least if he’s smart he was/is. That’s the best way to recruit. Players can envision themselves in that role. I am confident Archie was counting Kaufman as wrapped up. Like he did for Brooks.

Lying to recruits seems pretty short sighted.  20 years ago you can probably get away with that but  it’s too easy for these guys to check with former recruits.  

If we go this year with Race or Brunk starting at C that’s one thing but if TJD is at the 5.  Pretty hard to sell that spot.  

Lying to recruits seems pretty short sighted.  20 years ago you can probably get away with that but  it’s too easy for these guys to check with former recruits.  

If we go this year with Race or Brunk starting at C that’s one thing but if TJD is at the 5.  Pretty hard to sell that spot.  

Lying to recruits? Come on. You’re selling TJD’s spot. Guarantee you Duncomb isn’t our new TJD.

With TJD you are selling a versatile Forward spot that can play center in stretches. If TJD plays more at the 5 due to roster construction, it is what it is. If successful, he becomes a lotto pick. Next man up. Coaches job to recruit that guy and sell that success.

Lying to recruits? Come on. You’re selling TJD’s spot. Guarantee you Duncomb isn’t our new TJD.

With TJD you are selling a versatile Forward spot that can play center in stretches. If TJD plays more at the 5 due to roster construction, it is what it is. If successful, he becomes a lotto pick. Next man up. Coaches job to recruit that guy and sell that success.

Problem REALLY is our offense is ugly, and boring. Recruits have taken notice apparently, and are opting out of the slow clogged system Archie has created. Let’s see if Archie can fix his messes, he gets paid handsomely to do so.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Mason can’t play TJD spot. It would be like trying to sell Phinisees spot to Washington. They are too different. Of Course Duncomb isn’t TJD. But he’s closer to TJDs role than Miller.  

Miller would have competed with Hunter, Geronimo and Thompson more than anybody for minutes. 

Mason can’t play TJD spot. It would be like trying to sell Phinisees spot to Washington. They are too different. Of Course Duncomb isn’t TJD. But he’s closer to TJDs role than Miller.  

Miller would have competed with Hunter, Geronimo and Thompson more than anybody for minutes. 

Agree. I didn’t think Miller was a fit from start. (Never really had a suitable backup to Kaufman). Have said so in numerous cases. Kaufman was supposed to be TJD 2.0. I realize Kaufman is also more outside/in but he was the TJD replacement. They were counting on it.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree. I didn’t think Miller was a fit from start. (Never really had a suitable backup to Kaufman). Have said so in numerous cases. Kaufman was supposed to be TJD 2.0. I realize Kaufman is also more outside/in but he was the TJD replacement. They were counting on it.

Agreed. Like you said style of play stunk and it’s cost us. 

Archie should have ditched Devonte long ago if he was holding us back.  

Archie needs this years offense to not stink to show off to recruits. Convince all the guys to use their extra year of eligibility and get in good with some transfers.  If Brooks is still riding the pine maybe he could come idk. But something has to be different this year. Or we will be tracking flights within a few years.  Because until you have success in college basketball it’s all about momentum. 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

UT Martin transfer Parker Stewart tells me he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Kansas State
Indiana
Arkansas
Cincinnati
Nebraska
Memphis
Ole Miss
Washington State
Houston
Oklahoma State
NC State

Rothstein 

Because Parker Stewart graduated recently, there's a chance he's eligible to play immediately next semester at his next school. He hasn't decided whether he will play this season yet.

On 12/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good background on Parker Stewart from the UT Martin website.  

https://utmsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/parker-stewart/1904

Looks like a decent big guard and certainly could play in a three guard system with his size. While he doesn’t shoot it as well as you’d like against lower D1 competition, that has been on volume shooting.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Aminu replacement?

Not my take on "the plan." 

I would think Aminu decides on the 15th, and if we don't get our big wing, we are all in on PStewart.

The article doesn't add that:

• He has two+ years of eligiblity left.
  • He was All-Academic ACC as a frosh.
  • He was playing off-ball at Pitt and was over 40% from 3 with very low turnover #s. At UT Martin he had the ball in his hands alot, and still was 36% from 3, albeit with lots of TOs. We've got two pgs to keep him happy.

50 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Rosy take Stuhoo.

Devils advocate. 

He’s a volume scorer shooting at a clip of %41 FGpct against average to below average composition.  

So he’s a taller Devonte Green. 

We’ll see.

I think the "less rosy" take would be that his 9.1 ppg scoring at Pitt is far more representative of his potential production than his small conference 19.2 ppg.

Also, there's only one DeVonte Green (lol). Walking contradiction, ultra-complex players like DeVonte are uniquely themselves and no one else.

I think the "less rosy" take would be that his 9.1 ppg scoring at Pitt is far more representative of his potential production than his small conference 19.2 ppg.

Also, there's only one DeVonte Green (lol). Walking contradiction, ultra-complex players like DeVonte are uniquely themselves and no one else.

Like Devonte in that he loves shooting 3s. Shoots a decent/good clip from 3. Shoots a low FG percentage.

My point is, his stats don’t project as a great addition. I also realize players can improve or be better versions of themselves in other situations, however, the stats are the biggest proof of what to expect, and all else is conjecture.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Like Devonte in that he loves shooting 3s. Shoots a decent/good clip from 3. Shoots a low FG percentage.

My point is, his stats don’t project as a great addition. I also realize players can improve or be better versions of themselves in other situations, however, the stats are the biggest proof of what to expect, and all else is conjecture.

I think his freshman stats at Pitt as a catch and shoot wing are pretty good. Low fg%, but high 3pt%, ft%, rebounds, decent to/assist. When he was a soph at 19.2 ppg his turnovers went way up, but other stats stayed good anf fg% went up (while 3pt% was down a bit, but still good:

STATS

Pitt 2017-18

GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS

32 26.2 38.3 38.6 80.0 3.3 0.9 0.2 0.4 1.6 0.6 9.1

No thoughts on the kid’s game yet. But for the get old stay old crowd, Stewart is already 22 years old. If he takes the rest of this year off and plays 2 he’ll be a 24 year old senior. How very BYU.