Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2021 General Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

We shall see. 

We all had fantasies about TK, Aminu and Miller.  Looking to me like those dreams of Preston, Wilkes and Waters we once had. 

That’s recruiting.  I never saw Miller and Kaufman committing to the same school however I thought Kaufman and Furst wouldn’t play for the same school and I was proven wrong.   
 At one point during the 2021 recruiting cycle IU’s top 4 players on their hot board was 

Lander, Kaufman, Furst and Duncomb.   Lander reclassifying changed 2021 outlook but the staff landed 2 of 4 of their top targets for what they saw in the  future of  the program. 
missing Kaufman stings fans and the program for a bunch of reasons that have been pointed out but as a program you have to move on and move forward.  Fans don’t have to move on if they don’t want to. They can do whatever and say whatever they want 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Criticizing the staff for a bad class in theory, when that bad class has not formed yet is...

unfortunate.

I’m not criticizing them for a bad class. I’m criticizing them for missing on their top targets.  Which doesn’t prevent a good class it sure as hell makes it harder.  And judging by our results the last couple years we aren’t in a position to make recruiting harder on ourselves. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

That’s recruiting.  I never saw Miller and Kaufman committing to the same school however I thought Kaufman and Furst wouldn’t play for the same school and I was proven wrong.   
 At one point during the 2021 recruiting cycle IU’s top 4 players on their hot board was 

Lander, Kaufman, Furst and Duncomb.   Lander reclassifying changed 2021 outlook but the staff landed 2 of 4 of their top targets for what they saw in the  future of  the program. 
missing Kaufman stings fans and the program for a bunch of reasons that have been pointed out but as a program you have to move on and move forward.  Fans don’t have to move on if they don’t want to. They can do whatever and say whatever they want 

It is recruiting. But it’s much more similar to the recruiting of Crean than of Miller even two years ago. 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Look at USPS waxing philosophical on us. I agree, by the way.

Missing top targets will happen. I understand that. How you plan for and around that is most critical.

Indiana shouldn’t be a boom or bust recruiting school, but all 2 often we are.

I understand roster construction. We desperately need a 4/5 for next season. Duncomb partly/mostly addresses the 5 spot eventually. But we are selling the TJD spot, and we should have done better. That’s why I strongly feel like the staff was blindsided by Kaufman.

Many on here would feel good about Mason Miller. I won’t/wouldn’t much. He needs to be a 3 and add a lot of muscle if he plans to play and rebound the 4. He’s not really a Kaufman replacement despite being similar height.

I’ll admit to being envious. When Michigan State, Michigan, Illinois, and now Purdue put together rock star classes it’s hard to project we are gaining ground in the B1G.

But here’s Archie’s chance to start showing he can beat the rock stars with his guys like others have done in the past.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Hey...any 6'9" kid with a very good shooting stroke and no post game could turn out to be Fitzner, but it is just not necessarily so. I cannot think of any player at IU in the past who was exclusively a stretch four other than Fitzner. Max B or Haston are the closest others, but they both had plenty of down low presence.
Of course, Fitzner was a stretch four who shot 16% from 3pt in conference play in his year at IU, so it is natural to be pre-disposed against anyone who gets tagged as the 'next Fitzner'. However... this is a kid with one month in the U.S. How the heck can anyone know what he will turn out to be? I think your "prove me wrong" line is well-stated, though I'd probably say "Mustapha--prove yourself" and withhold judgment.
Hopefully we will find out--we need size and length on the defensive end, and two of our primary targets, this kid and Mason Miller, are stretch fours on the offensive end. 

Magnus Pelkowski, the original IU stretch 4. We loved to see him shoot the 3 but it seemed he got less reliable as he aged.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Magnus Pelkowski, the original IU stretch 4. We loved to see him shoot the 3 but it seemed he got less reliable as he aged.

One time when he attempted a three at AH, RMK yelled “quit trying to do something you can’t do”. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Would Elijah Hutchins-Everett be a viable option if Mason Miller picks Creighton?  Someone had posted that we expressed interest but never offered.  His rating won't blow you away but he has offers from Minnesota, Miami (FL), Villanova, Syracuse, Rutgers, as well as other P5's and would fill a big frontcourt need as a 6'10" C.

7 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

Would Elijah Hutchins-Everett be a viable option if Mason Miller picks Creighton?  Someone had posted that we expressed interest but never offered.  His rating won't blow you away but he has offers from Minnesota, Miami (FL), Villanova, Syracuse, Rutgers, as well as other P5's and would fill a big frontcourt need as a 6'10" C.

We’ve got an incoming future C.  It’s really that Stretch 4 we need 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We’ve got an incoming future C.  It’s really that Stretch 4 we need 

I agree, and I think Miller would be the perfect stretch 4 if we could get him.  Based on what little video I could find of Everett it looked like his game at the next level might be more of a high post forward even though he is listed as a center.  My thought was that maybe he could help Race or whoever else backfill TJD's spot if Miller doesn't come, or split some time at the 5 if Logan isn't ready to take on a lot of minutes early.   He almost reminds me of a young Juwan Morgan.  

Pretty fair. I didn’t want Wesley at any cost but the mismanagement of this class has been truly baffling.

Archie needed to identify that he wasn’t getting Kaufman earlier. Same for Brooks the year before.

Archie was selling TJDs spot. TJD is getting all the accolades. Yet he can’t sell it. Shocking failure.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty fair. I didn’t want Wesley at any cost but the mismanagement of this class has been truly baffling.

Archie needed to identify that he wasn’t getting Kaufman earlier. Same for Brooks the year before.

Archie was selling TJDs spot. TJD is getting all the accolades. Yet he can’t sell it. Shocking failure.

Is he selling TJDs spot? Seems like most people want TJD to be our 5 this year.  We’ve got our 5 for the future already. 

Problem with having 7 guys on the roster who can play 2 of the 3 positions of 2-4. It’s hard for incoming recruits to see minutes coming up when there’s several of players competing for the spot already. 

Missing on Miller does doesn’t doom us but 22 has to be better  

Our starters in 21-22 still look to be the same with or without Miller.  Gotta hope Hunter and Race both develop like we all hope  

Very concerned here 

We do understand that these kids are stringing coaches and programs along for social media clout, right? They answer these coaches the way they answer the media: recruit speak. These ridiculous top 15s to 10s to 8-6-4-2s up to a commitment are largely a gigantic waste of time for coaches. But they have to play along to get the player. I can see how it would be hard to ‘identify earlier’ if they weren’t getting a recruit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners