Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2021 General Recruiting Thread

Idk. Fitzner 2.0. Prove me wrong, Mustapha. My instincts were right about this one all along considering the timing, regarding Trey Kaufman.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Seems like a way smoother athlete than Fitzner. More of a wing. Tough to tell how good he his based on year old overseas footage. Jump shot looks good. The young European kids usually are pretty fundamentally sound too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Idk. Fitzner 2.0. Prove me wrong, Mustapha. My instincts were right about this one all along considering the timing, regarding Trey Kaufman.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Hey...any 6'9" kid with a very good shooting stroke and no post game could turn out to be Fitzner, but it is just not necessarily so. I cannot think of any player at IU in the past who was exclusively a stretch four other than Fitzner. Max B or Haston are the closest others, but they both had plenty of down low presence.

Of course, Fitzner was a stretch four who shot 16% from 3pt in conference play in his year at IU, so it is natural to be pre-disposed against anyone who gets tagged as the 'next Fitzner'. However... this is a kid with one month in the U.S. How the heck can anyone know what he will turn out to be? I think your "prove me wrong" line is well-stated, though I'd probably say "Mustapha--prove yourself" and withhold judgment.

Hopefully we will find out--we need size and length on the defensive end, and two of our primary targets, this kid and Mason Miller, are stretch fours on the offensive end. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We are in the rationalizing everything to make it a positive stage of Archies tenure. Losing to Purdue in most facets of basketball will get you there I guess 

I would normally agree with you regarding a recruit like this. But look at his offer list, tells kind of a different story.

DePaul, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, N.C. State, Maryland, St. Johns, Boston College, Oklahoma State, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Marquette. That is a pretty good list

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

I would normally agree with you regarding a recruit like this. But look at his offer list, tells kind of a different story.

DePaul, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, N.C. State, Maryland, St. Johns, Boston College, Oklahoma State, Dayton, Pittsburgh, Illinois, Marquette. That is a pretty good list

It’s a decent list. But it’s not the list of a guy that makes up for losing Aminu or TK

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s a decent list. But it’s not the list of a guy that makes up for losing Aminu or TK

Oh I agree with TK. That was a bad loss and you won't see me try to rationlize missing on him for this kid. Getting Amzil will not make me feel ANY better about losing out on TK.

I am more stating that this doesn't seem to be a Crean like back up plan if you look at his offers and who is starting to recruit him. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Oh I agree with TK. That was a bad loss and you won't see me try to rationlize missing on him for this kid. Getting Amzil will not make me feel ANY better about losing out on TK.

I am more stating that this doesn't seem to be a Crean like back up plan if you look at his offers and who is starting to recruit him. 

Maybe. Kid is still an unknown.  Some of those offers can be conditional. And so far nobody has offered him that has a program where we expect to be.  

Losing recruits you spend years on then having to jump into others at the last second is a losing proposition regardless of the talent of the recruits you are jumping into 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I cannot discern which player has a 'better' offer list. Matching Offers for both players in bold:

Aminu Offer List

• Maryland
  • Indiana
  • Kansas State
  • Georgetown
  • DePaul
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Missouri State
  • Oklahoma State
  • Pittsburgh
  • Seton Hall
  • Towson
  • Wake Forest
  • Louisville

Mustapha Offer List

• DePaul
  • Indiana
  • Georgia Tech
  • Kansas State
  • N.C. State
  • Maryland
  • St. Johns
  • Boston College
  • Oklahoma State
  • Dayton
  • Pittsburgh
  • Illinois
  • Marquette

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I cannot discern which player has a 'better' offer list. Matching Offers for both players in bold:

Aminu Offer List

• Maryland
  • Indiana
  • Kansas State
  • Georgetown
  • DePaul
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Missouri State
  • Oklahoma State
  • Pittsburgh
  • Seton Hall
  • Towson
  • Wake Forest
  • Louisville

Mustapha Offer List

• DePaul
  • Indiana
  • Georgia Tech
  • Kansas State
  • N.C. State
  • Maryland
  • St. Johns
  • Boston College
  • Oklahoma State
  • Dayton
  • Pittsburgh
  • Illinois
  • Marquette

I’m not judging Aminu based on his offer list. He’s a relatively known commodity at this point.  We’re giving one of these two the benefit of the doubt because he’s a 3 star ranked in the 300s.  And looking to his offer list as to why that ranking is undeserved.  

Looking at their accolades and statistics makes this pretty easy relative to comparing Aminu and Mustapha.  

I’m not sure why we are comparing them anyway. 

I stand by my skepticism of Amzil.  His highlight tape looks decent. But the statistics don’t support him being a good shooter.  He’s slight of frame. That generally doesn’t equate to B1G basketball. This one is odd.  

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Most likely? 
This is the “let’s try to go one-for-two on 6’9” stretch fours” plan.

539093122_Toni_Kuko.jpg.a851f05311ccd025920e2e6d3dbcf899.jpg

I detest the Bulls, but when I think of "stretch 4" he comes to mind. Obviously I don't watch the NBA anymore. 

Archie basically did the opposite from what he did in the Brooks recruitment on the Kaufman recruitment.   People hammered him after Brooks chose Kentucky saying that he didn’t have a backup plan.  You can’t put your eggs in one basket when you are recruiting at a high major.  So moving forward to the Kaufman recruitment he didn’t put all his eggs in the same basket, he went aggressively after 2 other top 60 players at the same position(Hopkins and Miller who is still in play) as Kaufman and kicked the tires with another prospect that’s recruitment is just getting started.  After Kaufman went elsewhere he offered the new prospect.  Regardless of what he did people are going to be pissed because he missed out on a top recruit.   

45 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Archie basically did the opposite from what he did in the Brooks recruitment on the Kaufman recruitment.   People hammered him after Brooks chose Kentucky saying that he didn’t have a backup plan.  You can’t put your eggs in one basket when you are recruiting at a high major.  So moving forward to the Kaufman recruitment he didn’t put all his eggs in the same basket, he went aggressively after 2 other top 60 players at the same position(Hopkins and Miller who is still in play) as Kaufman and kicked the tires with another prospect that’s recruitment is just getting started.  After Kaufman went elsewhere he offered the new prospect.  Regardless of what he did people are going to be pissed because he missed out on a top recruit.   

Not entirely true.  When it is a gigantic position of need (basically replacing TJD) you sell that spot so you don’t end up chasing Mustapha Amzil last minute. 

I think Archie got blindsided again. I think he basically replicated the Brooks recruitment again.  Both blindsided him.  We weren’t entirely early or strong for Mason Miller or Hopkins or a few other later chances.  It was late when doubt set in.  Amzil is a prayer and Hail Mary. 

I don’t want Archie to go full Crean and shotgun but he’s not efficient enough to be a Sniper rifle either. 

2021 recruiting has been a mess.  

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not entirely true.  When it is a gigantic position of need (basically replacing TJD) you sell that spot so you don’t end up chasing Mustapha Amzil last minute. 

I think Archie got blindsided again. I think he basically replicated the Brooks recruitment again.  Both blindsided him.  We weren’t entirely early or strong for Mason Miller or Hopkins or a few other later chances.  It was late when doubt set in.  Amzil is a prayer and Hail Mary. 

I don’t want Archie to go full Crean and shotgun but he’s not efficient enough to be a Sniper rifle either. 

2021 recruiting has been a mess.  

Interesting.   Every thing I’ve read with Miller from his recruitment IU was always mentioned with him and IU was always mentioned with Hopkins even before he committed to Louisville and then decommitted IU even got an unofficial visit from him for a game.  
it’s been IU and Creighton as the top 2 teams for Miller for awhile now.

you read it one way while I read it another way. 
 Kaufman was clearly the top target from day 1 but from my perspective the staff worked hard in those other 2 recruitments as well.    Nothing wrong with different point of views on the same recruitments 

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Interesting.   Every thing I’ve read with Miller from his recruitment IU was always mentioned with him and IU was always mentioned with Hopkins even before he committed to Louisville and then decommitted IU even got an unofficial visit from him for a game.  
it’s been IU and Creighton as the top 2 teams for Miller for awhile now.

you read it one way while I read it another way. 
 Kaufman was clearly the top target from day 1 but from my perspective the staff worked hard in those other 2 recruitments as well.    Nothing wrong with different point of views on the same recruitments 

Regardless how hard we prioritized plans A and B.  It’s not a good sign when your onto plan C and beyond.