Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2021 General Recruiting Thread

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Lot of the '21 kids might want to start thinking if they should commit now vs. waiting.  If they were thinking they could improve their stock and offer list with strong AAU play, that ain't gonna happen.

You bring up a really good point that I didn't think of.

Report on Louis Lesmond from The Daily Hoosier.  We watched him at least twice during the season but haven't extended any offer.  We already have a longstanding offer (July '19) out to Blake Wesley and just offered Jordan Longino so on the surface doesn't seem we're that enamored with Lesmond, but what do I know?

It is a popular refrain in the Indiana fan base that the team needs to add more proven shooters to its roster.   One class of 2021 shooting guard that checks that box is Chicago area product Louis Lesmond.

The 6-foot-5 Lesmond averaged 16.5 points per game along with 5.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the 2019-20 season for Notre Dame High School in Niles, Ill.  Best known as a shooter, Lesmond made 44% from beyond the arc and 54.1% of his shots overall.  

IU has been in communication with Lesmond going back to last summer, and multiple reports had Indiana head coach Archie Miller and assistant Tom Ostrom most recently in Chicago on Valentine’s Day to watch him play.  Lesmond helped lead Niles Notre Dame to a 29-5 record and he was named first team all-state in Class 3A by the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.

Indiana has not offered a scholarship to Lesmond to this point as the IU staff was planning to watch him more during the AAU season.  Last season Lesmond played for the Illinois Wolves on the Under Armour Circuit.

A native of France, Lesmond’s father David Lesmond played at Purdue in the ’90s.

Lesmond is a 4-star recruit according to 247Sports.  He is rated as the No. 76 player overall in the 2021 class and the No. 16 shooting guard.

Lesmond has received offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Dayton, Xavier, Loyola Chicago and numerous others.

I saw several of Lesmond's games last year when he played at Evanston, after moving here from France.  He was the tallest player on a very good team that only lacked height, yet struggled to get playing time over more athletic guards and forwards (at least three of whom were also Sophs).  So it wasn't surprising that he transferred to a smaller school.  At the time he seemed to lack passion, consistency, and defensive instincts.  That said, it's quite possible that being a starter this past year has boosted his confidence and helped him turn a significant corner.  

4 minutes ago, triple said:

I saw several of Lesmond's games last year when he played at Evanston, after moving here from France.  He was the tallest player on a very good team that only lacked height, yet struggled to get playing time over more athletic guards and forwards (at least three of whom were also Sophs).  So it wasn't surprising that he transferred to a smaller school.  At the time he seemed to lack passion, consistency, and defensive instincts.  That said, it's quite possible that being a starter this past year has boosted his confidence and helped him turn a significant corner.  

Always great to get reports from our members who've actually watched a kid play a game or two.  With out-of-state targets oftentimes we can only get limited game stats.

I see his ranking, but man a spot up shooter on this team could easily get minutes with that one skill with solid length.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Report on Louis Lesmond from The Daily Hoosier.  We watched him at least twice during the season but haven't extended any offer.  We already have a longstanding offer (July '19) out to Blake Wesley and just offered Jordan Longino so on the surface doesn't seem we're that enamored with Lesmond, but what do I know?

It is a popular refrain in the Indiana fan base that the team needs to add more proven shooters to its roster.   One class of 2021 shooting guard that checks that box is Chicago area product Louis Lesmond.
The 6-foot-5 Lesmond averaged 16.5 points per game along with 5.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists during the 2019-20 season for Notre Dame High School in Niles, Ill.  Best known as a shooter, Lesmond made 44% from beyond the arc and 54.1% of his shots overall.  
IU has been in communication with Lesmond going back to last summer, and multiple reports had Indiana head coach Archie Miller and assistant Tom Ostrom most recently in Chicago on Valentine’s Day to watch him play.  Lesmond helped lead Niles Notre Dame to a 29-5 record and he was named first team all-state in Class 3A by the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association.
Indiana has not offered a scholarship to Lesmond to this point as the IU staff was planning to watch him more during the AAU season.  Last season Lesmond played for the Illinois Wolves on the Under Armour Circuit.
A native of France, Lesmond’s father David Lesmond played at Purdue in the ’90s.
Lesmond is a 4-star recruit according to 247Sports.  He is rated as the No. 76 player overall in the 2021 class and the No. 16 shooting guard.
Lesmond has received offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Dayton, Xavier, Loyola Chicago and numerous others.
Desmond will be playing in a Shootout in Highland, Illinois next January. Highland is about an hour west of me on I70. This Shootout is quickly becoming one of the top Shootouts in the region, if not the Country. Next years features quite a few top 100 players.
Here are the teams playing in January
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eillinoishighschoolsports%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D93256&share_tid=93256&share_fid=156187&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't follow a lot of recruiting, other than ones than those who IU has interest in, so I don't have a good mental image of the areas the recruits are from. I got this from Indiana High School Basketball Fans on Facebook (pretty good group when they're actually talking basketball, lol). Interesting breakdown of Indiana talent- not necessarily those that IU is following, but...

Image may contain: text

Latest comments from Corey Evans -

Indiana now sits with two solid commitments in the 2021 class, though Khristian Lander could opt to enroll this fall, more good news could be ahead for the Hoosiers.

The program still needs to find a high-level scoring wing, like Aminu Mohammed, and a versatile forward in the mold of Trey Kaufman. Of the two, I feel like Kaufman is the most likely to commit to Indiana.

I am not sure if Kaufman's pledge is imminent but the Hoosiers are in a great spot for the four-star forward. That doesn’t take away from the chances that someone like Louisville or Xavier might have, but IU is the favorite and have continued to place a heavy priority on Kaufman.

For Mohammed, Georgetown, Kansas State, Louisville and Maryland are among his other top suitors. The Cards might be slightly out in front compared to all others but IU has a chance, which could also be said for Blake Wesley.

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

I don't follow a lot of recruiting, other than ones than those who IU has interest in, so I don't have a good mental image of the areas the recruits are from. I got this from Indiana High School Basketball Fans on Facebook (pretty good group when they're actually talking basketball, lol). Interesting breakdown of Indiana talent- not necessarily those that IU is following, but...

Image may contain: text

Will Loving Watts!?!?!? 

Updated list from The Daily Hoosier of names on the IU radar for '21, '22 and '23.  I really like the job that Mike Schumann does with The Daily Hoosier but IMO there are names on this list that aren't legitimate IU targets.  We may have "kicked the tires" but it's been nothing more than that.  I follow an awfully lot of twitter accounts that relate to college basketball and recruiting and I haven't seen our name referenced in the recruitment for many of these kids.  Now having said that, I'll have to admit that Archie doesn't consult with me about his recruiting targets.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/first-look-indianas-class-of-2020-and-2021-prospects/ 

His class was about 2,000 years ago. We’re slightly past the point of offering.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s a rare talent though with some additional eligibility left. Word is he is coming back and plans to be much more dominant during his second stint.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app