Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

2/22 wouldn’t be as bad if we wanted a 2 person class.

2/22 when we want a 3 or 4 person class and now the options are limited makes it worse.

Take Purdue for example. Identified and wanted Jaden Ivey. Got him early and he is better than his rating.

Getting your early targets has better optics.

Keion Brooks I think really threw us off. I think the staff expected to get him. I don’t think we actively recruited strong for that position outside of Brooks.

Brooks and DJ Carton. Land those 2 with our current group and we are competing with the big boys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think when you say things like 'Jaden Ivey is better than his rating' you get stuck in the mentality of making a personal prediction/opinion into a fact....which its not.  There are obviously some pretty in tune evaluators that don't think he is better than that.  And the truth is that I think often evaluations after a guy has signed become effected by where they signed at, not on any actual progress they made.

Conversely, I think too many people in the IU fan base would say that if we signed a guy that was ranked 219th on 247 that we settled.  Painter seems to be getting a pass/credit right now because of the success of the program the last couple of years.  If all it took to be right in the future was to be right in the past, then I would assume after players like Oladipo/Sheehey/Anunoby would have translated to Crean consistently getting underrated finds.  There is an awful lot of luck involved.  It seems to me it wasn't long ago that Purdue went through a string of underperforming players leaving the program.  

FWIW, Brunk coming in for two years doesn't make it a two man class.  Brooks certainly was the guy we didn't get that we thought we would, but we also know that under previous management that missing on a player like him lead to giving scholarships to illogical reaches like Priller, April, Gelon, etc.  It takes discipline to not give scholarships to players whom hurt the program's numbers in the long run when you miss on your top choices.  Jalen Windham is a perfect example.  By all accounts, Miller did the work on Jalen Windham and decided he was not worth using a scholarship on.  Could Windham end up being worth one?  Sure.  But I would rather have a coach who does the work and not panic and throw darts.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Re:Ivey glowing reports this spring. He’s outplaying his ranking thus far, I’d bet he’s one of the ones that jump when rankings get updated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He may be better than his current ranking, but even if his ranking increases that doesn't make him 'being better than his ranking' a fact.  And a guy ranked at 219 can be better than his ranking and still not be a big ten level player.

I'm just pointing out that if we brought in a player ranked 219th, this board wouldn't exactly be thrilled regardless of whether he inched closer to 150.  Painter is given a pass (deserved or not) based on recent team success.  A lot of things get hidden (particularly that Purdue was very pedestrian on defense) when you have guys that can shoot the ball.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

He may be better than his current ranking, but even if his ranking increases that doesn't make him 'being better than his ranking' a fact.  And a guy ranked at 219 can be better than his ranking and still not be a big ten level player.

True but in this case he definitely looks to be. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

True but in this case he definitely looks to be. 

And he may very well be.  I just think right now that as IU fans we are conveniently forgetting the number of misses that Painter has had.  And nine years into his time at Purdue there were certainly a lot of calls from Purdue fans for him to be fired....and let's not also forget that he got to come in for an extra year before he became the head coach to get his guys in place.  Certainly no guarantee that the class he got to come in during his second year (Hummel, Martin, Johnson, Moore) was one he could have gotten if he only had their senior year to recruit them.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people out there upset that all Miller brought in was a top 30 player, a top 150 player, and a quality grad transfer that has two seasons of eligibility left.  As much as it pains us (and me), if Archie is the right coach that doesn't mean it is going to happen immediately.

And I say this as a guy who was on board with bringing Jalen Windham in, whose ranking isn't good.  But whether or not we were to offer, I am happy that it does seem that CAM did the due diligence to make a determination of whether or not he felt that he was worthy of an offer.  Think back to some things that happened under Crean....particularly the David Williams debacle.  

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And he may very well be.  I just think right now that as IU fans we are conveniently forgetting the number of misses that Painter has had.  And nine years into his time at Purdue there were certainly a lot of calls from Purdue fans for him to be fired....and let's not also forget that he got to come in for an extra year before he became the head coach to get his guys in place.  Certainly no guarantee that the class he got to come in during his second year (Hummel, Martin, Johnson, Moore) was one he could have gotten if he only had their senior year to recruit them.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people out there upset that all Miller brought in was a top 30 player, a top 150 player, and a quality grad transfer that has two seasons of eligibility left.  As much as it pains us (and me), if Archie is the right coach that doesn't mean it is going to happen immediately.  

It’s not about how many quality recruit Miller has brought in for this class and more about how we repeatedly missed on recruits to shore up known needs. I don’t care how many big men you have at the end of the day you need shooters and ball handlers. 

IUs recruiting will continue to drop off if we don't win. That has to be the lesson of our inability to land shooters and ball handlers this 2019 spring.  If the 2019-2020 season is a success (i.e., IU wins enough to make it to the NCAA tournament) recruiting will pick up. Until then, we are not likely to do any better than Anthony Leal, a four-star hometown player (who is a shooter).

IUs recruiting will continue to drop off if we don't win. That has to be the lesson of our inability to land shooters and ball handlers this 2019 spring.  If the 2019-2020 season is a success (i.e., IU wins enough to make it to the NCAA tournament) recruiting will pick up. Until then, we are not likely to do any better than Anthony Leal, a four-star hometown player (who is a shooter).
And we may not even get him

Sent from my LG-K371 using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not about how many quality recruit Miller has brought in for this class and more about how we repeatedly missed on recruits to shore up known needs. I don’t care how many big men you have at the end of the day you need shooters and ball handlers. 

I don’t disagree.  I was responding to a post that said that we only brought in two players.  I know we need shooters and we didn’t get them.  But I don’t see how that means bringing in a third recruit (for two years) could be counted as anything but a positive and when he’s better than the two guys that transferred.

our shooting will come down to guys that were on the roster (healthy or hurt) last year.  I’m not optimistic about it but ultimately my opinion doesn’t make or miss shots.  I am higher on DeVonte Green than almost anyone here, whether that is right or wrong.

20 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I am higher on DeVonte Green than almost anyone here, whether that is right or wrong.

I think it depends on which DG shows up. Hopefully he can keep producing like he was at the end of this year.

18 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

I think it depends on which DG shows up. Hopefully he can keep producing like he was at the end of this year.

True- and in my opinion he doesn't even have to be great, just good and most important, consistent. In other words, play like a Senior. 

7 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

True- and in my opinion he doesn't even have to be great, just good and most important, consistent. In other words, play like a Senior. 

Yeah for sure. I was super critical of him like most people last year but he really impressed me at the end of the season. Made a huge jump in decision making. 

5 hours ago, Capt. Crimson said:

He did show at the end of the season that he can play a stretch of games at a high level....the last seven games of the year he truly was our best player.  During that stretch he shot 38 of 75 including 23 of 45 from three and averaged over 15 points and about 4 rebounds and assists per game and put a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.  In the BTT and NIT, he averaged 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists.  

To put that 7 game string in perspective, it is in line with Robert Johnson's best seven game string.  Johnson had a string of seven games where he averaged 17 points/game but shot a little bit worse than Green did.

He did show at the end of the season that he can play a stretch of games at a high level....the last seven games of the year he truly was our best player.  During that stretch he shot 38 of 75 including 23 of 45 from three and averaged over 15 points and about 4 rebounds and assists per game and put a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.  In the BTT and NIT, he averaged 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists.  
To put that 7 game string in perspective, it is in line with Robert Johnson's best seven game string.  Johnson had a string of seven games where he averaged 17 points/game but shot a little bit worse than Green did.

He also averaged 2 steals per game in those last 7. Which I think is impressive as well. DG is absolutely HUGE for IUBB this upcoming season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He also averaged 2 steals per game in those last 7. Which I think is impressive as well. DG is absolutely HUGE for IUBB this upcoming season

Too bad he is a cancer and not coming back next year. Wait, scratch that all of a sudden

Pretty crazy how this board went from being certain he was at the root of all of our chemistry problems and that there was zero percent chance he came back to now talking about how important he is.

Too bad he is a cancer and not coming back next year. Wait, scratch that all of a sudden

Pretty crazy how this board went from being certain he was at the root of all of our chemistry problems and that there was zero percent chance he came back to now talking about how important he is.

Yeah I don’t know what to think about that one.