Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

OK. I'll pretend like others here that it is we are losing graduate transfers who actually want to play for IU because it is so difficult to get admitted to an IU grad program even though there are absolutely no facts to support the supposition.  I'll also pretend that IU is in good shape to win the Big 10 and compete for a national championship next year even though there is no evidence to support that supposition. Its easier to pretend than it is to live in the real world.

Well your real world is plainly wrong like Hova said like it or not. But if pretending gets you back to the real world, welcome back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I can see it being an issue with a grad program

And it sucks. As this is an area that could help us. I get it, but it doesn’t make it any easier. This is another area where those at the very top are wrong imo. It shouldn’t have to be so cut and dry. There should be some leeway if it makes sense beyond athletes.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

And it sucks. As this is an area that could help us. I get it, but it doesn’t make it any easier. This is another area where those at the very top are wrong imo. It shouldn’t have to be so cut and dry. There should be some leeway if it makes sense beyond athletes.

Goes back to the one arm tied behind our back comment.

What grad transfers has IU landed in recent years... Zeisloft, Bielfeld, Fitzner, and now Brunk. All top notch students by what was said but I agree with Bailey. Why would they not allow a student that doesn’t get accepted into the grad school?! Just let them play, it’s not like they’re student-athletes!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What grad transfers has IU landed in recent years... Zeisloft, Bielfeld, Fitzner, and now Brunk. All top notch students by what was said but I agree with Bailey. Why would they not allow a student that doesn’t get accepted into the grad school?! Just let them play, it’s not like they’re student-athletes!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Can’t we just start some grad program for athletes. Offer a PHD in athletic organization aptitude or some BS 

I'm not alleging a conspiracy. I'm simply pointing to the fact that there is no public information to support the claim that graduate transfer basketball players can't meet the entrance requirements at IU. Other schools, e.g., Notre Dame, have acknowledged that their admission standards are higher. IU has not. Nor have I seen any articles using even anonymous sources to make that point. Only as often happens people on this board making claims without citing facts to support those claims. It can only be considered true if there are fact to support it. There are not.

10 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I'm not alleging a conspiracy. I'm simply pointing to the fact that there is no public information to support the claim that graduate transfer basketball players can't meet the entrance requirements at IU. Other schools, e.g., Notre Dame, have acknowledged that their admission standards are higher. IU has not. Nor have I seen any articles using even anonymous sources to make that point. Only as often happens people on this board making claims without citing facts to support those claims. It can only be considered true if there are fact to support it. There are not.

There’s no public information because they can’t make it public. So literally your point is moot 

You haven’t seen any articles on a free board but maybe on a premium board it has been discussed and wrote about for well over a year now

And you guys wonder how a team like Texas Tech has been able to elevate their program so quickly and remain consistent despite being Texas Tech. Yes, they got a very good coach but grad transfers were key to their title run this year. 

Oh they also have two important grad transfers coming in again.

Bottom line: Adjust accordingly or play from a disadvantage. 

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/05/15/texas-tech-picks-second-graduate-transfer-versatile-former-virginia-tech-swingman-chris-clarke

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Can’t we just start some grad program for athletes. Offer a PHD in athletic organization aptitude or some BS 

I seem to recall North Carolina trying something like this.  Found this powerpoint slide that IU could use for reference...

Image result for north carolina football powerpoint

And you guys wonder how a team like Texas Tech has been able to elevate their program so quickly and remain consistent despite being Texas Tech. Yes, they got a very good coach but grad transfers were key to their title run this year. 
Oh they also have two important grad transfers coming in again.
Bottom line: Adjust accordingly or play from a disadvantage. 
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2019/05/15/texas-tech-picks-second-graduate-transfer-versatile-former-virginia-tech-swingman-chris-clarke

Uof6 and O$U benefitted from this the last few years as well. Archie is trying to get old and stay old. TTU, Uof6, and O$U signed old and stayed old. At some point in the season, I looked up the ages of the players on this three teams and voila they were old. I believe we had 3 1/2 rotation players that were 21 or older. TTU had multiple 23 year olds. I believe Uof6 had several too.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Speaking on the grad transfer thing. If it's so hard for grad transfers to come to IU why if we had five or six of them? Also we've recruited a bunch that have went to other place. Mooney at TT, Lee and Thompson that went to OSU, Albright that went to PU, etc. It seems like we've tried and have took advantage of the grad transfer rule in the past, but now it's an issue. Did we change the rules this year?