Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

It's hard to justify starting a shooting guard who shoots poorly from 3-point range. Galloway brings energy, passion and leadership. Unfortunately for him, as players like Jalen Hood-Schifino and Tamar Bates develop, Galloway's playing time will suffer--unless he develops a reliable outside shot.

18 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It's hard to justify starting a shooting guard who shoots poorly from 3-point range. Galloway brings energy, passion and leadership. Unfortunately for him, as players like Jalen Hood-Schifino and Tamar Bates develop, Galloway's playing time will suffer--unless he develops a reliable outside shot.

He's going to play 18-22mpg for the remainder of his time at IU. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's going to play 18-22mpg for the remainder of his time at IU.

You must be confident that Galloway is going to develop a reliable outside shot. I hope he does.

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

You must be confident that Galloway is going to develop a reliable outside shot. I hope he does.

Ummm.. no idea on his shot! We don't have another player that impacts the game in which Trey can.  I mean, I don't think he will start... but he'll be a 6th man of the year candidate moving forward, no doubt. 

Once we start playing at a faster pace, the coaching staff has mentioned how much we need to do this... Trey will shine even more. 

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It would be great if he developed a reliable jumper, but he doesn't need it to get minutes. He already is one of our most important players without a reliable jumper and already plays that many minutes, and probably would have been more minutes without the injuries. 

What Galloway brings gets more important as more talent comes in, not less important. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We were an immensely better team last year when he was healthy. No coincidence. There won't be any mins taken from TG. 

Yeah, I mean it's not random that IU was good before his wrist injury, lost a lot of close games while he was out, won again when he was back,, then went on a February swoon when he had the groin injury, and then started winning again when he came back in March. 

A jumper would be great if he developed it, but as is Galloway is critical to what IU does. His minutes aren't going down. 

Trey's minutes may go up a tick, but they aren't going down.

We are losing about 61 minutes per game from Parker, Khristian, Durr, and Rob, and if Miller goes from last year's 25 minutes down to 18, that's 68 minutes to spread around. 

Tamar and Jordan only played a collective 27 mpg last year, so if they go up to 45, that still leaves about 50 minutes for JHS, Malik, Kaleb, and CJ.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I mean it's not random that IU was good before his wrist injury, lost a lot of close games while he was out, then went on a February swoon when he had the groin injury, and then started winning again when he came back im March. 

A jumper would be great if he developed it, but as is Galloway is critical to what IU does. His minutes aren't going down. 

Yes. You made a good point about the  talent coming in, as well.  And absolutely no question TB is going to be a better basketball player...heck by this time in the off season he might already be... but he isn't a better passer and he isn't a better defender and that's where Treys value is. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

... those are RP, MK, and PS mins.

TG is going to play 20 ish mins. 

Yeah, JHS gets Stewart's minutes and some of Phinisee's. Bates gets his own minutes plus some of Kopp's and then Galloway gets the minutes he already had plus also some of Phinisee's. 

What Galloway brings is so unique, at minimum his minutes will stay the same. 

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I mean it's not random that IU was good before his wrist injury, lost a lot of close games while he was out, won again when he was back,, then went on a February swoon when he had the groin injury, and then started winning again when he came back in March. 

Idk… I mean, he played in two games before he broke his wrist and those were against two cupcakes. We were 12-8 in total in the 20 games he played. We lost four straight in February prior to his groin injury, in which he played heavy minutes. He started in 3 of those 4 games. I’ll be disappointed if he’s continuing to play heavy minutes this year.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Idk… I mean, he played in two games before he broke his wrist and those were against two cupcakes. We were 12-8 in total in the 20 games he played. We lost four straight in February prior to his groin injury, in which he played heavy minutes. He started in 3 of those 4 games. I’ll be disappointed if he’s continuing to play heavy minutes this year.

... seriously? yeah, 12-8 vs. Big Ten level competition. We all have seen we need a talent influx and he shouldn't be starting on a really good team. 

The bold is unfathomable. 

And holy cow... yeah we lost 4 straight in Feb, one of those was NW. He was great in that game. Tough as nails. 

We were also playing without RP at that point in time. I thought how much better our team was when TG was healthy was pretty evident. He just has so much versatility to his game. 

It can't be understated... when our style of play gets to where we want it, TG's value skyrockets. You can't have 5 dudes on the court with the same skill set. 

24 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I will be really, really surprised if you're not disappointed then. It was crystal clear that IU was better last year, for the most part, when Trey Galloway was playing 20ish mpg. 

^^ I think Trey's positive impact on both sides of the ball and to the team's competitiveness is clear. 

How many minutes he gets next year is to an extent up in the air with the incoming guys and developing impact of JG etc. but I can't see any conceivable way he's playing less than 18-22 barring injury, he makes the team better. 

Adding a decent jumper, and again I really don't think it needs to be from the arc, would increase his impact and imo would make him a genuinely dynamic player -- and kind of like early Troy, getting his drives from the wing/baseline under control would also bring a new level to his game. I'd bet on at least the latter this season, he is a hell of a player and you have to love his fire.

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

... seriously? yeah, 12-8 vs. Big Ten level competition. We all have seen we need a talent influx and he shouldn't be starting on a really good team. 

The bold is unfathomable. 

If you want to talk about “vs Big 10 level competition,” it’s 9-8, not 12-8. Two of the 12 wins were against cupcakes. A third win, the one against St. John’s, he played 4 minutes before breaking his wrist. We need better guard play. That’s not debatable. If he improves enough to give that better guard play, great. If he’s similar to last year and plays heavy minutes I will be disappointed. If that’s “unfathomable” to you, oh well. We need better guard play that what Trey Galloway has given. 

57 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ll be disappointed if he’s continuing to play heavy minutes this year.

I like Trey Galloway, I like his attitude, his energy, etc.  I don't know if I would be disappointed if he continued to play heavy minutes this coming season. But the fact remains that IU's greatest liability last season was 3-point shooting, which also happens to be Galloway's greatest weakness. If other players demonstrate they can shoot significantly better than he does this season, their playing time will increase at the expense of Trey's. It's not just Bates and Jalen Hood-Schifino who could take time away. CJ Gunn could also cut into Galloway's time if he can demonstrate he shoot and play defense at the college level.