Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

Glad to hear Trey Galloway will be back soon. He is tough and plays decent defense. But Anthony Leal has demonstrated real value shooting 50% from 3-point range compared to just 25% for Galloway. They essentially play the same position so Galloway's playing time will necessarily be limited until he demonstrates he can shoot. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Glad to hear Trey Galloway will be back soon. He is tough and plays decent defense. But Anthony Leal has demonstrated real value shooting 50% from 3-point range compared to just 25% for Galloway. They essentially play the same position so Galloway's playing time will necessarily be limited until he demonstrates he can shoot. 

Galloway and Leal are very different players with very different skill sets.

Anthony is jockeying for minutes with Parker Stewart. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Galloway and Leal are very different players with very different skill sets.

Anthony is jockeying for minutes with Parker Stewart. 

And Galloway was really coming along well this season before his injury. He'll need time to get back into game shape etc. but timing's not too bad. Plenty of time in the reg season to get him going again, he can help a lot.

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Pre-injury Trey was first off the bench and looked like CMW was going to play him 20 or more minutes per game.  He is not going to resume those kind of minutes immediately after his return but he is going to play and get minutes.  He has improved his shot but that’s not where his value is.  He brings so much to the table.  I’m really excited he is doing well and is getting closer to a return.  I agree with Anthony Leal and I think he has actually earned more minutes.  They have different games and bring different things so I hope they both are getting significant minutes.

Galloway wasn't the first off the bench--Rob Phinisee was. And, Phinisee and Bates received more playing time than Galloway. Yes, Galloway and Leal have different games--Leal can shoot from 3 and Galloway can't. Galloway has great hustle but with so many teams playing zone against IU Leal is a more valuable player against those teams. Now that Leal has shown what he can contribute, he is bound to cut into Galloway's minutes.

Pre-injury Trey was first off the bench and looked like CMW was going to play him 20 or more minutes per game.  He is not going to resume those kind of minutes immediately after his return but he is going to play and get minutes.  He has improved his shot but that’s not where his value is.  He brings so much to the table.  I’m really excited he is doing well and is getting closer to a return.  I agree with Anthony Leal and I think he has actually earned more minutes.  They have different games and bring different things so I hope they both are getting significant minutes.

Is there evidence that he has improved his shot? Hope so but haven’t noticed that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Is there evidence that he has improved his shot? Hope so but haven’t noticed that.

Short answer. No, there is no evidence.
This year he has only taken shots against EMU (1/2) and Northern Illinois (3/7) and only   played 4 minutes against St John’s without taking a shot.
I have no idea if his shooting has improved but don’t know how one could come to the conclusion that he is a better shooter based on the very  little time he has played this year.

PS..I hope he does well when he comes back and makes it clear that his shooting has improved.

13 hours ago, DChoosier said:

This year he has only taken shots against EMU (1/2) and Northern Illinois (3/7) and only   played 4 minutes against St John’s without taking a shot.
I have no idea if his shooting has improved but don’t know how one could come to the conclusion that he is a better shooter based on the very  little time he has played this year.

PS..I hope he does well when he comes back and makes it clear that his shooting has improved.

Completely fair and accurate on the numbers. However, I think people seeing an improved shot are basing it on what they saw (the dreaded eye test). I'm kind of one of those - his form looked better, and he looked more confident shooting. Again, you're right on the numbers, and time will tell -- echo your hope he makes it clear when he returns.

Kid brings a lot of game, sees the floor like a point guard, goes 'downhill' to the rim really well, and plays solid D. Looking forward to seeing him healthy again.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Completely fair and accurate on the numbers. However, I think people seeing an improved shot are basing it on what they saw (the dreaded eye test). I'm kind of one of those - his form looked better, and he looked more confident shooting. Again, you're right on the numbers, and time will tell -- echo your hope he makes it clear when he returns.

Kid brings a lot of game, sees the floor like a point guard, goes 'downhill' to the rim really well, and plays solid D. Looking forward to seeing him healthy again.

Yes, I get that and agree but I would still like to see more than 4 total baskets made against 2 mid-majors before concluding that his shot has improved. 
Also agree about him getting downhill, his D and effort, etc. If the shooting is indeed improved he could see some fairly major minutes. It’s a shame he was injured due to a cheap shot/pull-down.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

Yes, I get that and agree but I would still like to see more than 4 total baskets made against 2 mid-majors before concluding that his shot has improved. 
Also agree about him getting downhill, his D and effort, etc. If the shooting is indeed improved he could see some fairly major minutes. It’s a shame he was injured due to a cheap shot/pull-down.

Agree here too. He's only taken 4 shots from the arc and went 1-4 (25%). Of course that tells us nothing, can't draw any conclusion on 4 shots, so we'll need to see how his shooting ends up on a lot more shots. I was just chiming in to say agree but from what (little) I saw this season from him his form looked better.

Related, the team's deep shooting numbers show whose getting the great majority of the outside shots up, how that's panning so far, and who should be taking more of those shots. 

- Kopp and Bates are basically the same from the arc. Kopp is at 42% and Bates at 36%, on the same number of shots - 31 - the difference is a whopping 2 made shots, Kopp 13-21 and Bates 11-31. I am looking to see Bates grow his minutes as, imo, he brings more overall, especially defensively, but he's still a frosh and makes frosh mistakes, so time will get him there.

- Leal is at 50%, but has taken only 10 outside shots (due to minutes). He came here as a shooter and he's been showing it, as he grows his minutes I would bet on him staying in the 40's, the more he is integrated into the outside game the better, imo.

- Flip side, Race is now down to 14%, on 2-14 from the arc. I'm one who has thought he'd improve his outside shooting with more shots, he shot well in high school but wasn't asked to shoot much here before this season. 14 shots is still too few to draw real conclusions, but, yeah, 14% is not good.

- Stewart is outstanding from the arc, 47% on 51 shots. That's the most on the team from outside, and that's a good thing.

- Rob, unfortunately, has not found his stroke. He's at 17% from outside, on 3-17. He's a better shooter than that, but like with Race, not good so far, and 17 outside shots 4th most on the team (behind Stewart, Bates, Kopp). That doesn't line up.

- X has taken only 13, 1 less than Race - his form is whack, but he's at 46% on 13 shots. Also think that's misleading, again that form, ugh, but he's hit at 46% so far, so should be taking more than Rob and Race. He also creates space better.

- Numbers on outside shooting go only so far, Geronimo at 22% but only 9 shots - he is a much better shooter than those numbers reflect. Hope to see more balance in the outside game going forward with guys like Leal getting more integrated.... 

I believe one of the reasons X is at a much higher % is the shots he has taken from deep are WIDE OPEN for the most part. I recall 3 of those makes he would have had time to "stop, drop, shut 'em down open up shop" before shooting.

WHEN (!!!) we begin to get better ball and player movement I believe we'll see some of the lower averages rise a little. I've been happy that the good shooters are taking a higher overall percentage of the shots from range.

16 hours ago, 8bucks said:

15 hours ago, DChoosier said:

His shot has improved.  His form is different than last year and you can tell he has spent a lot of time working on it with the help of the new coaching staff.  It’s a lot more fluid and less mechanical.  It’s one of the first things I noticed in pregame warmups.  It’s obvious that he has put in a lot of time working on it so kudos to him for putting in the work.

22 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW, he shot decently from three as a freshman and sophomore in high school.  Took a big drop his junior and senior years.

Over been trying to find out this info so thanks for sharing. My theory has been that the wrist injury (injuries? I don't remember if it was one that got air multiple injuries) that he had in HS may have had an effect on his shot since it was his shooting wrist. This was for the last 2 HS seasons where you saying his shooting dropped off so I may be right. It also makes sense for how a coach's son could have such a broken looking shot.

11 hours ago, go iu bb said:

Over been trying to find out this info so thanks for sharing. My theory has been that the wrist injury (injuries? I don't remember if it was one that got air multiple injuries) that he had in HS may have had an effect on his shot since it was his shooting wrist. This was for the last 2 HS seasons where you saying his shooting dropped off so I may be right. It also makes sense for how a coach's son could have such a broken looking shot.

Per Maxpreps:

Freshman year:  19 games, 23 of 61 (38%)

Sophomore year:  28 games, 48 of 133 (36%)

Junior year:  28 games, 31 of 115 (27%)

Senior year (believe he suffered a wrist injury early):  20 games, 20 of 86 (23%)

Also of note:  he was  a 70% free throw shooter as a freshman and sophomore but only 58% as a junior and senior.

My guess is at some point he picked up a hitch in his stroke.  Didn't hurt him that much in high school because he was still North of 50% from the field every year, but that's because he's really a pretty good athlete (very underrated in that respect).  Also averaged over 5 assists per game as a senior.