Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The question with Galloway moving forward is does he become a shooter? Right now his inability to hit open 3-point shots is limiting the team's offense.

He plays because of his energy. I doubt he becomes a good shooter with that form which is kinda surprising considering his dad was a coach.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Trey Galloway with a serviceable jump shot = Dane Fife.

Trey Galloway without a serviceable jump shot = Jamal Meeks.

Fife didn't have a serviceable shot until his senior year.

2 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Fife didn't have a serviceable shot until his senior year.

Yup.

He was an asset until then, but a flawed asset.

His senior year he one of the three best players on a team that went to the national championship game.

He’s never really shot well. Especially poor in HS. I don’t feel like that will change under the current staff, or any other staff for that matter. He’s not a shooter, never was. Many, many data points support this. Many in this very thread. The writing should have been clear as day. I don’t see how so many have been taken by surprise here? Can he develop a shot out of the blue? Sure. I’m guessing he will shoot fine as a senior.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Honkyman said:

The question with Galloway moving forward is does he become a shooter? Right now his inability to hit open 3-point shots is limiting the team's offense.

You could say that about everyone on the team.

6 hours ago, Honkyman said:

along with everybody else that is unable to hit a 3...

along with everybody else that is unable to hit a 3...

It is definitely limiting the offense. Him specifically. The argument is “well, nobody else on the team can shoot either”. That may be true, but teams are not intentionally leaving Rob, Aljami, and Frank open. I’m saying he’s on the scouting report as a guy who you need to goad into taking one. He’s getting these miracle open looks, seemingly every possession. It’s not because our offense is so efficient, and he’s just the lucky recipient. No. It’s on purpose. Now he’s not even willing to hoist them and is trying to drive on guys who are playing 5 feet off him. Guess what? That’s on the scouting report too. His presence on the floor exacerbates the same old problem of teams packing the lane to prevent TJD. I’m sorry to have to think this way, I do love the kid., but if he can’t hit at least 30%, you have to cut his minutes or sub him defense/offense. His ineffective 3 % is causing problems getting space inside.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

It is definitely limiting the offense. Him specifically. The argument is “well, nobody else on the team can shoot either”. That may be true, but teams are not intentionally leaving Rob, Aljami, and Frank open. I’m saying he’s on the scouting report as a guy who you need to goad into taking one. He’s getting these miracle open looks, seemingly every possession. It’s not because our offense is so efficient, and he’s just the lucky recipient. No. It’s on purpose. Now he’s not even willing to hoist them and is trying to drive on guys who are playing 5 feet off him. Guess what? That’s on the scouting report too. His presence on the floor exasperates the same old problem of teams packing the lane to prevent TJD. I’m sorry to have to think this way, I do love the kid., but if he can’t hit at least 30%, you have to cut his minutes or sub him defense/offense. His ineffective 3 % is causing problems getting space inside.

He made his living driving to the basket in HS. Cant do that against B1G talent. Definitely the type kid you want on your team but we need someone who can shoot.

His best role would be coming off the bench right now. Leal should be starting and it's time to finally make that happen. I think a combo of Durham and Galloway would be our best bets off the bench. 

I think you might be right. Now, with Leal you may give up some on ball defense and a bit of rebounding, but it’s not like you’d be pulling Trey for the whole game. Leal may even fail to score at the same average as Galloway for a few games, but that would be ok, in part, because the threat would be there. The mere threat that Leal is known on the opponent scouting report as a guy that needs to be guarded on the perimeter would be a big upgrade to what we really want to do on offense, which is get the ball on the block. Imagine if he makes one early. In my opinion, that alone, that threat, is what could make all the difference. Trey still needs to play a good amount of minutes, no doubt he does things Leal and even Durham aren’t really capable of. But I think he needs to do it coming off the bench as a change of pace from Leal.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, Honkyman said:

IU fans like Trey Galloway because of his hustle. If Trey developed a reliable shot, he could be something truly special.

I think I'm higher on Galloway than most here.  I also think he's a guy who you will see develop a shot.  At Culver, he was a four year starter.  His freshman and sophomore years, he shot 25% (51 of 201) from three and 58% from the line.  His junior and senior year, he shot 37% from three (71 of 194) and 70% from the line.  The kid is a tireless worker.  He probably won't make the Armaan Franklin type of jump from three, but Franklin fixed his shot through hard work.