Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2020) SG Trey Galloway To IU

CMA in a 76-36 romp over Traders Point Christian School for its 9th straight win.  It was no contest from the opening tip.  Galloway 15 pts. in limited minutes.

Galloway received a tech in the 3rd Q for hanging on the rim after a dunk.  He also became CMA's all time leading scorer.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I re-watched the entirety of the Culver - Cathedral game.  It was tied at 50 at the end of regulation but in the 4:00 minute OT, the teams combined to score 27 points with CMA winning 69-58.  Go figure.  Cathedral came in as a team averaging 79.6 ppg, 3rd highest in the state.  I had Galloway with 27 points on 10-20 FG; just 1-7 on 3s; 6-10 FT; 8 reb; 3 asst; 3 stls; 1 blk.  During the course of the broadcast the announcers said Galloway is averaging 22.5 ppg for the season but only shooting 60% FTs.

CMA plays a very good man-to-man defense and Galloway drew Tayshawn Comer as his assignment.  Comer '22 came in averaging 17.2 ppg; 3.6 rpg; and 4.5 assts.  He finished with 15 on 6-15 FG; 1 reb; 1 asst.  He went to the line 38 times in his previous 2 games but only attempted 1 foul shot in this game.  

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of Comer, and I think he's good but very over rated.  Cathedral's team is solid and deep.  To beat them by 11 is an accomplishment in itself, but Galloway is a better player than Comer.  I'd expect this result.

I hope I'm not the only one that watched this game.  One of the finest games I've seen from Galloway finishing with 35 pts. on 12-19 FG; 1-5 on 3s; 10-15 FT; 9 reb; 3 asst; 3 TO; 1 stl.   And no taped wrist.
Attucks has a very good team with lots of quickness and led at the end of 1st Q 20-15 and stretched it to 40-26 at halftime forcing a number of CMA turnovers.  Galloway had 17 pts. at the half.  In the 3rd Q, he scored 16 pts. and grabbed 4 reb. and almost singlehandedly pulled CMA back into the game as they only trailed 50-46 at the end of three quarters.  4th Q was a dogfight but CMA pulled it out 64-61.  Great game to watch.

Wasn’t it Crispus that just beat Blackhawk Christian?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Couple of more comments based on the games I've watched.  Unless he improves significantly, he is not a solution to our 3-point shooting woes.  He is a very hard-nosed defender for a team that only plays man-to-man defense and typically guards the opponents best player.  He's a player that just seems to have that feel for where the ball is going to be and he's good at finding the driving lanes and taking it to the bucket.  Definitely not afraid of contact.  His free throw shooting is really bad and needs a whole lot of work.  Odd that his % is so poor when he's a coach's son.

Couple of more comments based on the games I've watched.  Unless he improves significantly, he is not a solution to our 3-point shooting woes.  He is a very hard-nosed defender for a team that only plays man-to-man defense and typically guards the opponents best player.  He's a player that just seems to have that feel for where the ball is going to be and he's good at finding the driving lanes and taking it to the bucket.  Definitely not afraid of contact.  His free throw shooting is really bad and needs a whole lot of work.  Odd that his % is so poor when he's a coach's son.

Exactly, my scout as well. Love his grit, and athleticism. Can he fix his shot? Can he drive on bigger, more athletic guys? We will see.

38 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Exactly, my scout as well. Love his grit, and athleticism. Can he fix his shot? Can he drive on bigger, more athletic guys? We will see.

I agree completely.After watching this game and a few others I see a player who won't back down, has better than average athleticism along with good handles and court vision.

I think he'll help us and could end up a primary ball handler.That shot though...

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Interesting developmental arc. When I saw him as a Soph he had a reputation as a kid who could make shots but needed to improve his athleticism. Now as a Sr he’s become a better than average athlete who can’t make shots. Weird.

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Interesting developmental arc. When I saw him as a Soph he had a reputation as a kid who could make shots but needed to improve his athleticism. Now as a Sr he’s become a better than average athlete who can’t make shots. Weird.

I have to wonder if the wrist injury hasn't had something to do with the shooting.

Personally,when I saw him early I thought he was fairly athletic but had a weird looking gate and shot but that was just my impression. He seemed to get to the rim fairly often and that's his go to now.Like Fleek said it remains to be seen if that translates at the next level. He looks to be a legitimate 6'5" and strong on top of it.I was impressed last night by his ability to handle the ball with a super quick ball hawking guard harassing him for much of the game.

He is my favorite of the 3 recruits coming in. On a different team he could help by being the jack of all trades/glue man.

On this team...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree. I see him like a little smaller Sheehey but better handles and vision.

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree. I see him like a little smaller Sheehey but better handles and vision.

The more I see of him the more I see him maybe evolving into, an admittedly unconventional, Ty Jerome-type PG. Yeah, the shooting needs to get better, and I think it probably will. But I love the vision and instincts and the defense will absolutely play. Watching him defend Jalen Blackmon last year was eye opening. He flat smothered that kid. He had no problem staying frontal, he fought over every screen and he contested everything. And even if the shooting doesn’t come he has a chance to be a really tough matchup for a lot of pg’s with his sheer size and physicality.