Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Mason Toye - Minnesota United

Per this article Jeremy Price posted on twitter Mason Toye has entered the draft as a Generation Adidas player:

Profile/Stats

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/meet-the-2018-generation-adidas-class-and-top-mls-draft/og9972guauei1vlg2wq3nfksx

As much as I follow IU soccer and can be the go to person on this board I am not at all familiar with how these drafts work and whether this means Toye is gone for sure or if he is just a candidate to leave and be drafted? Does this mean Rennicks, Dorsey, Gutman and Muse are staying at IU or do they have other avenues for entering the pro's? Interestingly article makes no mention of Lillard who deserves to be a high pick and is graduating.

What is surprising to me is out of the other 4 guys I mentioned Toye is far and away the least talented and pro ready of the bunch and the one I thought least likely to leave. Dorsey and Rennicks are probably rawer but posses way more pure talent at this point and Muse and Gutman are more finished products. 

If this is it for Toye than I wish him the best but feel he could of really benefited from another year of developing under Yeagley who does a great job with that. Either Warr who shows some potential will have to step in at forward or Rennicks or Dorsey (if they are back) will have to move up as converted mids which is not ideal as we learned with Rich Ballard and Femi in the last few years. Much rather have a pure forward like Warr or Toye up top and I hope Warr is ready. 

On the plus side the fact that we have so many potentially draft-able guy shows Yeagley has finally upgraded the talent to the very top of college soccer again as I have said all year. Lets keep in that way moving forward and get more of the 4 and 5 * players like we did in last recruiting class even if we lose them early. Having very highly ranked guys (and we didn't get any since Zavaletta until this year) is key to staying at the elite level for good as we finally were again this year.  

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

Per this article Jeremy Price posted on twitter Mason Toye has entered the draft as a Generation Adidas player:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/meet-the-2018-generation-adidas-class-and-top-mls-draft/og9972guauei1vlg2wq3nfksx

As much as I follow IU soccer and can be the go to person on this board I am not at all familiar with how these drafts work and whether this means Toye is gone for sure or if he is just a candidate to leave and be drafted? Does this mean Rennicks, Dorsey, Gutman and Muse are staying at IU or do they have other avenues for entering the pro's? Interestingly article makes no mention of Lillard who deserves to be a high pick and is graduating.

What is surprising to me is out of the other 4 guys I mentioned Toye is far and away the least talented and pro ready of the bunch and the one I thought least likely to leave. Dorsey and Rennicks are probably rawer but posses way more pure talent at this point and Muse and Gutman are more finished products. 

If this is it for Toye than I wish him the best but feel he could of really benefited from another year of developing under Yeagley who does a great job with that. Either Warr who shows some potential will have to step in at forward or Rennicks or Dorsey (if they are back) will have to move up as converted mids which is not ideal as we learned with Rich Ballard and Femi in the last few years. Much rather have a pure forward like Warr or Toye up top and I hope Warr is ready. 

On the plus side the fact that we have so many potentially draft-able guy shows Yeagley has finally upgraded the talent to the very top of college soccer again as I have said all year. Lets keep in that way moving forward and get more of the 4 and 5 * players like we did in last recruiting class even if we lose them early. Having very highly ranked guys (and we didn't get any since Zavaletta until this year) is key to staying at the elite level for good as we finally were again this year.  

Interesting that the team hasn't said anything yet.

The MLS draft gets confusing with homegrown contracts and Generation Adidas.

If I understand it correctly, when a player signs a Generation Adidas contract, he is turning pro. The contract is some sort deal with the MLS, where there salary won't count against the MLS team who drafts them. I believe it is to encourage drafting young, domestic talent. 

So, it seems Toye is gone. I'm a little surprised. Don't seem him getting time at the MLS level, so he'll likely be loaned down to a feeder team. Wish him nothing but the best. 

Imagine we'll hear about Gutman turning pro before long. I'd also keep an eye on Timmy Mehl. He may not make the jump, but don't be surprised if he does.

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

Interesting that the team hasn't said anything yet.

The MLS draft gets confusing with homegrown contracts and Generation Adidas.

If I understand it correctly, when a player signs a Generation Adidas contract, he is turning pro. The contract is some sort deal with the MLS, where there salary won't count against the MLS team who drafts them. I believe it is to encourage drafting young, domestic talent. 

So, it seems Toye is gone. I'm a little surprised. Don't seem him getting time at the MLS level, so he'll likely be loaned down to a feeder team. Wish him nothing but the best. 

Imagine we'll hear about Gutman turning pro before long. I'd also keep an eye on Timmy Mehl. He may not make the jump, but don't be surprised if he does.

I would be surprised on Mehl but who knows?

Also what's your feeling on Dorsey, Muse and Rennicks? I assume with Doresy and Rennicks as freshman they would need to be Homegrown or Generation Adidas to turn pro and no word there yet? I also assume Muse can just go pro as is with his affiliation with the Sounders and Gutman the same with the Fire? The whole way MLS does all of this is very confusing. 

Good news is IU is so deep even if we lose every potential player possible we are still a top 15-20 team with our depth and any potential freshman who could contribute right away. If everyone besides Toye is back (which I doubt) we are top 5.     

Our worst case lineup losing every realistic player to the pro (barring a surprise or stud freshman) is probably Gruber in goal with Palazzolo, Kleyn, Buckmaster and Glass on D with Swartz, Moore, Gutjahr, Thomas and Panchot in the Mid with Warr up top. That's not bad. You would love to add Dorsey and Rennicks to that and maybe even Muse and Gutman if they stay. Either way next year should be solid. The question is how solid and we won't have an answer on that until everyone's pro decision is in and we see if any frosh can contribute right away.      

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I would be surprised on Mehl but who knows?

Also what's your feeling on Dorsey, Muse and Rennicks? I assume with Doresy and Rennicks as freshman they would need to be Homegrown or Generation Adidas to turn pro and no word there yet? I also assume Muse can just go pro as is with his affiliation with the Sounders and Gutman the same with the Fire? The whole way MLS does all of this is very confusing. 

Good news is IU is so deep even if we lose every potential player possible we are still a top 15-20 team with our depth and any potential freshman who could contribute right away. If everyone besides Toye is back (which I doubt) we are top 5.     

Our worst case lineup losing every realistic player to the pro (barring a surprise or stud freshman) is probably Gruber in goal with Palazzolo, Kleyn, Buckmaster and Glass on D with Swartz, Moore, Gutjahr, Thomas and Panchot in the Mid with Warr up top. That's not bad. You would love to add Dorsey and Rennicks to that and maybe even Muse and Gutman if they stay. Either way next year should be solid. The question is how solid and we won't have an answer on that until everyone's pro decision is in and we see if any frosh can contribute right away.      

I would be surprised by Mehl as well, but I've been told it's something he's considering. 

Everything around the MLS draft is super confusing. In theory, Dorsey and Rennicks could opt to enter the draft without Homegrown or Generation Addidas, but they would have no safety net. Personally I think they'll both be back next season. Muse's father was quoted not too long after the Stanford match saying he was happy at IU and it would take something really big for him to leave. Apparently there is some interest from Europe, no idea what level. Believe that information was in an IDS article I saw on Twitter. 

Aside from seniors, I only expected to lose Gutman, but it seems Toye is gone as well. Crossing my fingers those are the only two to leave early.

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

I would be surprised by Mehl as well, but I've been told it's something he's considering. 

Everything around the MLS draft is super confusing. In theory, Dorsey and Rennicks could opt to enter the draft without Homegrown or Generation Addidas, but they would have no safety net. Personally I think they'll both be back next season. Muse's father was quoted not too long after the Stanford match saying he was happy at IU and it would take something really big for him to leave. Apparently there is some interest from Europe, no idea what level. Believe that information was in an IDS article I saw on Twitter. 

Aside from seniors, I only expected to lose Gutman, but it seems Toye is gone as well. Crossing my fingers those are the only two to leave early.

In some ways I am not surprised on Toye. I met his father very briefly at a game this year. Seemed like a nice guy but was certainly someone who was expecting big things for his son fast which it appears they got. This was always in the back of my mind from this encounter (and I could of completely misread him so if I am wrong don't be mad) but just didn't expect them to get this opportunity so fast but congrats and hope it works out.

It's a good thing Warr saw spot minutes this year and I am cautiously optimistic can take the reigns solidly and put 5-10 goals up this year. It's just now going to take some balanced scoring from our midfield again which certainly worked this year and is successful usually. I was just hoping Toye would be back and developed into the go to scorer with 15-20 goals that Zavaletta or Bruin were but that's not happening I guess.

Also if Muse really stays that is really key especially since we may need to rebuild our whole defense. Muse was not called into action much this year but with a young more inexperienced defense he will be needed to save a lot more goals and is certainly capable of it. Butler was like that this year. Had an average D at best but their goalie Eric Dick was beyond phenomenal and made many ridiculous saves to give them a good goals against average under 1 and keyed a very successful season. Muse can certainly pull Dick like miracles with his talent if needed to keep us as a solid D but hopefully our D is better than that when it's said and done. 

A completely rebuilt defense (no Mehl or Gutman potentially) with Gruber in goal and Muse gone is a little scary. However, with Muse I am confident you could put you, me and 2 other guys on this board in the back and it would still be a good D. That's how good I think Muse is.    

When its all said and done however, I am optimistic for the season as we will have tons of talent no matter who goes pro.

Good luck to him. Great season!

@SoccerByIves: NOW official: #MLS announces a six-player Generation Adidas class for the 2018 MLS Draft: Francis Atuahene, Joao Moutinho, Ema Twumasi, Mason Toye, Mo Adams and Gordon Wild. As always, more could be added, with Virginia’s Ed Opoku the top candidate.

No mention of anyone else leaving in the press release. Obviously could still happen but clearly Dorsey, Rennicks, Gutman and Muse have not made their mind up either way yet and are at least considering staying. Good luck to Toye. Warr is next man up. Very good Yeagley brought in two top 100 forwards 4 star forwards last year (Toye, Warr) since we are losing 1. 

Recognize many of the other players listed right below Toye since they either played IU or were on teams who were among the best in college soccer that I saw in tourney on TV. Hillard Arce, Atuahene, Moutinho, Mueller, Gallagher, Bakero, Wild, Krolicki and Winn were all players I saw play this year at some point and all are well deserving to be high selections. That Toye is thought of more highly then all of them save for Hillard Arce is quite a compliment. 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, does Lilliard not get drafted? Soccer is so confusing. 

No, he didn't need to go through the draft. He signed a homegrown contract with the Chicago Fire.

Homegrown contracts can essentially be offered to any player who played a year plus in the teams training academy.

1 hour ago, KB0 said:

No, he didn't need to go through the draft. He signed a homegrown contract with the Chicago Fire.

Homegrown contracts can essentially be offered to any player who played a year plus in the teams training academy.

Gotcha. Odd.