Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Fort Wayne - 12/18 @ 8:00 E.T.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm fairly certain that RoJo will continue to start.  There aren't other options.

I'm guessing one of the upperclassmen will not start next game. But they will play because as you say they have too. Not many other options.

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

This is one thing I'll say:  those people who blamed Blackmon for our lack of defense really didn't want to look very deep.  Most of the guys Crean went after weren't known for their defense.  

And if you don't think we miss Blackmon, you're nuts.  We most certinally need his shooting and it's not like his defense was any worse than we've seen on the floor in several of our games.  I do think people truly overestimated what we were going to put on the court this year -- didn't matter who the coach was.  You don't lose the talent we had the last two years and have a couple of mediocre recruiting classes and expect to miss a beat.  My concern is that we could lose some of the guys we did keep that are young and are seeing the veterans out there floundering and still can't get on the court.  Clifton Moore is a mirage at this point.  Justin Smith barely makes an appearance.  I'm truly not a big Josh Newkirk detractor, but if I were a freshman seeing him play as a senior I'd have to scratch my head as to what he has done to deserve minutes that shouldn't be going to younger guys.  I don't think much of Curtis Jones' game, but I understand why he left.

James Blackmon is the epitome of how the team has gotten to this point. You are right we would be better with him because at least he had some offense to go along with his non existent defense, but I'm glad he's gone.

Last night I watched Devonte Green's man come up from the baseline and set a pick on Morgan's man at the high elbow. Green proceeded to go past (above) all three players so that when Morgan got screened there was no one within 8 feet of Morgan's man when he released to the baseline for a 3. All Green did was give a lazy hand wave to Morgan to get through which Morgan couldn't even see.  It was a James Blackmon play and  I wanted to throw up.

We might be better with Blackmon but I sure as hell don't miss him.

Edited by HoosierX

How do so many of you still not understand that this is a WORSE team than last years team that lost in the first round of the NIT?!

I said at the beginning of the season this team lacked a PG, CAM wouldn’t solve all the turnover issues immediately, and it lacked star power. I was told his “system” would fix everything. Well, planning and preparation are great things, but execution is all that matters. These are the same players that cannot execute.

Try to think beyond one game or even one season.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Just now, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing one of the upperclassmen will not start next game. But they will play because as you say they have too. Not many other options.

I expect Hartman and one other new starter, and Josh and either DeRon or Al to not start.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

How do so many of you still not understand that this is a WORSE team than last years team that lost in the first round of the NIT?!

I said at the beginning of the season this team lacked a PG, CAM wouldn’t solve all the turnover issues immediately, and it lacked star power. I was told his “system” would fix everything. Well, planning and preparation are great things, but execution is all that matters. These are the same players that cannot execute.

Try to think beyond one game or even one season.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

I absolutely know this team is worse, you can't lose the best 3 players (on a bad team), bring in the recruits that we did, change coaches, and expect the team to be instantly better. But improvement is always still a possibility. You can still see glimpses of improvements, in certain games, of taking care of the ball, defense, post play...., but they are still learning. I just really thought that last years loss to IUFW would have lingered in the back of the upperclassmen's minds, at least they mentioned it beforehand, publicly, but it didn't show in the way they played. Rojo showed again last night that he can't get out of his own way, 6 tos from a senior guard that has started all those games is beyond ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm pretty sure Mark Richt left the cupboard a little more stocked for Smart than Crean did for Miller. Also didn't Richt get hired immediately after getting fired? Crean had to go into TV that should tell you something. 

I am a huge Georgia Bulldog football fan. Mark Richt was a fantastic coach. Went to bowl game every single year he was there. He had top 10 classes last 3-4 years. Kirby walked in with great talent, just needed a little polish. Richt got fired because the norm became he always would lose big games. Georgia football and Kirby hire are night and day and cannot be compared to IU and Archie hire. 

**Richt was hired by Miami and was one win away from playoff also. 

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

I am a huge Georgia Bulldog football fan. Mark Richt was a fantastic coach. Went to bowl game every single year he was there. He had top 10 classes last 3-4 years. Kirby walked in with great talent, just needed a little polish. Richt got fired because the norm became he always would lose big games. Georgia football and Kirby hire are night and day and cannot be compared to IU and Archie hire. 

**Richt was hired by Miami and was one win away from playoff also. 

Thank you!!! That is what I thought.

42 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Why make the bench players suffer the embarrassment?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That would be the last thing on my mind. I'd be out there trying to take someone's spot. 

I absolutely know this team is worse, you can't lose the best 3 players (on a bad team), bring in the recruits that we did, change coaches, and expect the team to be instantly better. But improvement is always still a possibility. You can still see glimpses of improvements, in certain games, of taking care of the ball, defense, post play...., but they are still learning. I just really thought that last years loss to IUFW would have lingered in the back of the upperclassmen's minds, at least they mentioned it beforehand, publicly, but it didn't show in the way they played. Rojo showed again last night that he can't get out of his own way, 6 tos from a senior guard that has started all those games is beyond ridiculous.

I’ve seen improvements too! But we’re going to see a lot of relapses, especially in our more seasoned players who have had a different “system” further ingrained and developed poor habits for longer.

I’m still very encouraged watching Al. The kid is supposedly a nobody recruit, who is starting and doing a lot of little things that surprise me from a freshman. Also, notice who didn’t turn the ball over last night? Al. Sure he only played 13 minutes, but he was the only one without a TO. Morgan has certainly improved as well.

That was really ugly last night.. Losing on your home floor to FORT f-ing WAYNE!? This is going to be a really difficult year. I'm not going to be surprised by anything that happens going forward with this team. They could lose at home by 30 to Youngstown State or pull off a win in East Lansing. You just don't know what you're gonna get.

I will say this.. I think losing on your home turf to outmatched in-state opponents is a realllllly bad look when you are hoping to attract 5-star talent (Romeo). Especially when said recruits have said they want to come in and immediately compete for a National Championship. I think Romeo is a pipe-dream at this point.

3 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

That was really ugly last night.. Losing on your home floor to FORT f-ing WAYNE!? This is going to be a really difficult year. I'm not going to be surprised by anything that happens going forward with this team. They could lose at home by 30 to Youngstown State or pull off a win in East Lansing. You just don't know what you're gonna get.

I will say this.. I think losing on your home turf to outmatched in-state opponents is a realllllly bad look when you are hoping to attract 5-star talent (Romeo). Especially when said recruits have said they want to come in and immediately compete for a National Championship. I think Romeo is a pipe-dream at this point.

Please don't say lose to Youngstown again, I'm taking my 5yo son to his first game that night!!!!

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Justin Smith finally got in the game and then just stood there watching when there was a loose ball (that McRoberts dove for) - that was indicative of much of the effort level I saw. 

Exactly! I saw that too and thought apparently Smith didn't get the effort memo. I don't know how many of these guys will be here next year and I don't care. McRoberts has played with more effort than anyone on this team. I saw him one time last night doing everything he could to get the team going and all he got in return was the 'Robert Johnson blank stare'. I don't know if these guys lost it or never had it, but I see little to no pride from this team.

I get that this loss looks bad and certainly can't help for a kid like Romeo to see. However, it's not like Vandy or KU are tearing it up. KU beat Nebraska by 1 point the other night and lost to Washington at home. Yes, I know there is no Fort Wayne or ISU spinkled in there. Vandy has 7 losses so far. I'm not aware of any other schools RL is seriously considering so let's pump the brakes on the fact that after last night we aren't getting 5 star kids. 

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

I get this sentiment, but it’s a fine line to walk. What if this causes him to lose those guys mentally the rest of the year? That creates a toxic environment. If we have a terrible year because of that I’m thinking you can kiss Romeo (already convinced that ship has sailed) and TJD or whoever in the 19 class goodbye. 

Most of our recruits in the 19 class are getting recruited by MSU and watching them have a great year. If we bomb, they look that much more attractive. 

We need to have the most respectable year possible, and as much as I hate to say it, we need the seniors to do that. 

These players don't have much to lose mentally, so I say go for it.  Losing their mental lapses and defensive indifference would not be a bad thing.

The bomb went off last night.  Make a change.

I get that this loss looks bad and certainly can't help for a kid like Romeo to see. However, it's not like Vandy or KU are tearing it up. KU beat Nebraska by 1 point the other night and lost to Washington at home. Yes, I know there is no Fort Wayne or ISU spinkled in there. Vandy has 7 losses so far. I'm not aware of any other schools RL is seriously considering so let's pump the brakes on the fact that after last night we aren't getting 5 star kids. 

Oklahoma was 11-20 (5-13 in Big 12) last year and Trae Young arguably playing the best out of all the freshman chose Oklahoma over Kentucky and Kansas

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Oklahoma was 11-20 (5-13 in Big 12) last year and Trae Young arguably playing the best out of all the freshman chose Oklahoma over Kentucky and Kansas

Got it.. However, I am not aware of Trae Young making comments about wanting to come in and win a National Championship in year one.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Exactly, perfect example. It's very typical of our fan base to think the absolute worst after a game like this. We know now it's going to be a very up and down year. Archie is not TC though. He brought in assistants that can recruit. However this season plays out I still think he can sell his vision and the program to get a guy like RL. 

I see a lot of talk about our cupboard being somewhat bare this year, and I agree with that... to a point. ALL of these guys, right down to the final walk on sitting on the bench, should be capable of playing a very solid game of fundamental basketball. All of them. Softness indicates laziness, and it doesn’t take a 5 star to play tough, hard nosed, basic basketball.  That’s what I’m going to be looking for the rest of the season, just hard nosed fundamental basketball. And some hard assed coaching to boot.