Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

IUWBB 2018 Recruiting Class

6'3" F Aleksa Gulbe from Latvia signed with Berger and Wilson.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/11/8/indiana-womens-basketball-inks-three-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

Grace Berger
A 6-0 guard from Louisville, Ky., Berger averaged 14.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists as a junior for Sacred Heart Academy. During her time with the Valkyries, Berger has led her team to a 72-25 overall record including a 2017 7th region championship and appearance in the state finals. She is a three-time All-7th Region First Team honoree, three-time All-7th region tournament team selection, 2017 First Team All-State and 2016 and 2017 Louisville Invitational All-Tournament team. She is also a two-time team captain at Sacred Heart and played AAU with Kentucky Premier.

Berger is ranked by ESPN as a five-star recruit and No. 46 overall. She is also ranked No. 43 overall by Dan Olson, No. 70 overall by All-Star Girls Report, No. 76 overall by ProspectsNation.com and No. 79 overall by Preferred Athlete Scouting Service.

Chanel Wilson
A 5-6 guard out of Powder Springs, Ga., Wilson comes to Indiana after leading McEachern High School to three-straight GHSA AAAAAA state championships. As a junior, averaged 12.9 points, 5.0 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game before her season ended due to an injury. She was named a two-time First Team All-Region and two-time Atlanta Journal Constitution All-Metro second team selection. In addition, she was the 2017 Rose Classic Super Jam MVP, 2017 Atlanta Tip Off Club mid-season All-Metro and has been named a Sandy Spiel Preseason All-State for 2017-18.

As a sophomore, Wilson averaged 12.0 points, 3.6 assists, 2.0 steals and 3.0 rebounds per game as she was named the She Got Game Player of the Game; Art Turner Tipoff Player of the Game; First Team All-Region and Atlanta Tip Off Club Preseason All-Metro. She's ranked as No. 111 overall by All Star Girls Report, No. 124 overall by Blue Star and No. 229 overall by Dan Olson.

Aleksa Gulbe 
A 6-3 forward becomes the third Latvian player in IU history, coming to Bloomington from Riga, Latvia. Gulbe plays for TTT Riga and is a European and World Championship participant. She averaged 12.4 point and 6.4 rebounds at the 2017 U18 European Championship. In 2016, she participated in both the U17 World Championships where she averaged 15.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game as well as the U16 European Championships where she scored 12.4 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. At the U16 European Championships in 2015, she averaged 12.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per contest.

On her radio show, IU's Teri Moren expounded on recruiting Latvia's Aleksa Gulbe: "We just decided the 2018 class, there weren't a lot of post players. Even though we had a couple from the United State that were on our campus, they chose to go other places."

"So Plan B for us had to be to go over to Europe, Latvia, in particular, and see about four or five different kids. While (assistant Rhet Wierzba) was over there, Aleksa was one of the kids he really dialed in on.

On her radio show, IU's Teri Moren expounded on recruiting Latvia's Aleksa Gulbe: "We just decided the 2018 class, there weren't a lot of post players. Even though we had a couple from the United State that were on our campus, they chose to go other places."
"So Plan B for us had to be to go over to Europe, Latvia, in particular, and see about four or five different kids. While (assistant Rhet Wierzba) was over there, Aleksa was one of the kids he really dialed in on.

At least she is candid, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Reading this again it's a little insulting calling a player you recruited "plan b" I have a feeling i know why moren isn't heavily personally involved in recruiting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

That's how I read that. Unnecessary information for the public. Not too bright.

Same as the Garlands saying IU finished third. Unless they have a vendetta.

In Moren's case, my guess is she is just talking like she would to her staff. Bottom line, you have to make smarter word choices when speaking on record, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That's how I read that. Unnecessary information for the public. Not too bright.

Same as the Garlands saying IU finished third. Unless they have a vendetta.

In Moren's case, my guess is she is just talking like she would to her staff. Bottom line, you have to make smarter word choices when speaking on record, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Esp when you are dealing with women haha. **ducks for cover**

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I'll just put this here since we don't have a thread for Aleksa.

http://sportacentrs.com/basketbols/damas/05012018-gulbei_20_14_latvijas_u18_izlase_izcina_b

Latvian U18 women's basketball team won Estonia with 62:54 on Friday, January 5th, and won the Baltic Sea Cup. Finland finished second, Estonia third, Sweden fourth.

Aleksa Gulbe scored 20 points, won 14 rebounds and provoked eight notes, earning the team's best player prize. 

Indiana Women’s Basketball‏Verified account @IndianaWBB

12 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, a steal and a block That's incoming freshman Aleksa Gulbe's line for U20 Latvia to open up the FIBA U20 Women's European Championships! Watch her in group play tomorrow and Monday : http://youtube.com/fiba  

DhhS8hMXcAUAsrM.jpg

Updates on Aleksa Gulbe's performance.  No idea what the overall level of U20 European competition is, but she's put up some solid numbers and at 6'3" hopefully she can make some consistent and positive contributions to this season's team.  One drawback is that by playing in the just concluded U20 tournament and the upcoming August U18 European Championships, she'll be a very late arrival in Bloomington.

Incoming #iuwbb freshman Aleksa Gulbe had a team-high 25 points, nine rebounds and two assists to lead Lativa over Croatia, 71-60 at the U20 European World Championships! Latvia improved to 2-1 in group play.

Aleksa Gulbe finishes with 17 points on 7-for-10 shooting, 7 rebounds, 5 blocks 3 steals and 2 assists but Latvia falls to the Netherlands to end its run in the FIBA U20 European Championships

Gulbe averaged 16.0 points, 7.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks and 1.8 assists in four games played at the U20 Championships.  She will also represent Latvia in the FIBA U18 European Championships in August

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Young lady is playing some serious basketball.

Make it a double-double for Aleksa Gulbe as she drops a team-high 23 points and 12 rebounds and two steals in a 75-74 win over Russia in the FIBA U20 European Championship class game!

I'm really excited for this upcoming season!

Indiana Women’s Basketball‏Verified account @IndianaWBB 

Congrats to Aleksa Gulbe and Latvia on finishing the FIBA U20 Women's European Championships with a 71-57 win over Poland!  Aleksa had 14 points and 2 rebounds in the victory! #iuwbb   For the tournament, she averaged 15.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.0 blocks per game