Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Al Durham - Lavrio (Greece)

14 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

I see Durhams potential, but his shooting must improve. Good coaches will just play off of him making the next play harder to get into.

I wonder if the "Al can't shoot" narrative is true, or merely the repetition of a pre-established theme?

52.2 Total FG %

73.7 FT %

30% from three (three of ten)

His three point shooting will probably improve a bit, but his shooting is already pretty good.

"There is a lot of chatter on the circuit about what position Durham will play at the next level. Right now, his production at the point speaks volumes: 14.9 pts, 5.2 rbs, 3.4 ast per game in 16 eybl contests. That said, Durham's percentages will need to improve to experience maximum success at the next level. 25% beyond the arc and 32% from the field" from Brandon Clay

I love what Durham has been doing for us. I follow recruit stats very closely. He struggled shooting the ball that season. Doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad shooter but his stats have indicated so.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

At this stage, 1 more of those 3's drop and he's at 40% which is more than respectable.

While that's true, either they go in or they don't.

What is also true is that over 10% of the season is in the books, and Al's shooting numbers have been quite good; better than in high school. Archie said during the pre-season that Al is a good shooter, and Archie doesn't seem like the "puffing" type.

It may have been already mentioned earlier in this thread but what I notice about Al is how well he feeds the post, especially against the zone.  With the others, it seems they look very uncomfortable doing so and would prefer to keep passing the ball around the perimeter.  I called that Al would start at least 5 games this year after hearing Archie talk about his game during in preseason.  Looks like it is only a matter of time before that happens now if things continue the way they are.  I'm not even worried about how well he shoots, although he isn't bad IMO.  We need him in the game for all of the other things he does.  

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

While that's true, either they go in or they don't.

What is also true is that over 10% of the season is in the books, and Al's shooting numbers have been quite good; better than in high school. Archie said during the pre-season that Al is a good shooter, and Archie doesn't seem like the "puffing" type.

That's true but 10 games from now it'll be clear whether it's closer to 30% or closer to 40%. 

1 minute ago, incrediboy said:

Ironic, isn't it, that our lowest-regarded recruit could turn out to be the most valuable?

Oladipo and OG come to mind. And while I'm high on Smith, Durham could turn out to be the best of this group.

And remember, Calbert Cheaney wasn't that highly regarded coming out of high school. Nobody who's ever played B1G men's basketball has scored more points. 

5 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

He got hurt during his Sr. year which hurt is ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes, I realize that. But thank you.

He already had signed with IU when he got hurt. But before that, IU and Evansville were pretty much the only schools on him. 

I’m pleased that Knight stayed the course with him. Had he not had his injury, more schools would have offered.

Durham has been a pleasant surprise to me. I’ve seen him shoot some “bricks” from the outside, but he’s hit some tough shots going to the rim with either hand and seems to make good decisions. D seems to be good also, for the most part. Nice player.

Yeah his shots not great by any means.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

Only a freshman. That will probably get better along with shot selection. What I am impressed with is he values the basketball. Through 4 games, he only has 6 TO in 82 min played. That is by far the best percentage of any of our other guards.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I am very surprised by Al so far. How was he ranked so low? He doesn't do the flashy things but he's going to be a heckuva player for us. 

Part of his ranking being low is probably because he committed as a sophomore.

8 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Part of his ranking being low is probably because he committed as a sophomore.

That and overshadowed on his AAU team by Collin Sexton. Which would happen to most people to be fair. I don't think his high school was exactly a powerhouse either.