Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs. (17) Michigan Game Thread 11/14 12:00PM EST ABC

It's homecoming Hoosiers! Should be a perfect sunny day for some football. According to IDSNews, we haven't beaten Michigan in 30 years (!!!) and haven't won a homecoming game since 2010. After seeing part of their game against MSU this Saturday, I think we have a good chance for this to be our "breakthrough" game of the season. Michigan's O-line is not the greatest and O'Korn makes a lot of questionable throws when rushed. 

I'm excited for this game. Unfortunately I can't go. Have only made one game so far this year.

Have to get the fumbles under control. We can't spot them points like we did PSU.

I'm worried about our offense with this game. UM d line is their strength and I'm worried we won't be able to move the ball against them.

I think the defense will hold them but think it may be another close game that IU could have won but just didn't. Too many years following IU fball has scarred me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Here's some statistics regarding Michigan's defense using Bill Conolly's S+P rankings...

Florida - 17 points allowed (vs. #75 offense)

Cincinnati - 14 (#100)

Air Force - 13 (#46)

Purdue - 10 (#56)

Michigan State - 14 (#84)

Of course, statistics don't tell the whole story. However, I think the above statistics prove that Michigan's defense is really good. While they have yet to play a great offense, they have limited or shut down every offense they have encountered. They have the #3 ranked defense according to S+P. And even though their offense is struggling, they are still ranked a respectable #69. For comparison, IU's defense is ranked #22 while the offense is #76.

Judging from the above stats, it's going to be a challenge for our offense to hang 20 points on them. Michigan hasn't allowed that in any game all season. That's not to say we can't do it, but it will be a challenge and we're going to have to find a way to exploit a weakness that has yet to be found thus far. Fortunately, our defense is more than capable of holding an average offense at bay. Tom Allen orchestrated a great game plan that held them in check last year in Ann Arbor. But can we hold them below 20? I don't know. 

That's why we need the ball to bounce our way, so to speak. We'll need to win the turnover battle. It would help if we could be +2 in that regard. It's possible, because Michigan has had some turnover issues this season, too. Field position will also be vital. We can't start many drives inside our own 20 and expect to drive down the field against them. And we need top-notch play on special teams. If we can win these categories, the odds may turn in our favor enough to overcome a sizable talent differential. But if Michigan wins these categories, they probably win by at least a couple of touchdowns.

I certainly agree with ThompsonHoosier that this could be our big "breakthrough" game. But man, that Michigan defense is high-level. It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see us hang with them the whole game, but fall short 23-14 or 26-17 or something like that. However, I think we're playing them at a good time. If we can have a few things go our way in this game, I'd say we can pull out the first victory against them in 30 years.

35 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

We are ranked #122 in the nation in turnover margin at -7. Other teams with this exact margin are Oregon State, Kansas, UCONN and Georgia State. This has to start moving in a positive direction if we hope to knock off the better competition. 

A lot of our stats don't look great but we also have to take into account the fact that we have faced two top-5 level teams already. But you are right, if we want to win this weekend we'll have to win the turnover battle.

15 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

A lot of our stats don't look great but we also have to take into account the fact that we have faced two top-5 level teams already. But you are right, if we want to win this weekend we'll have to win the turnover battle.

Absolutely right and I did think of that when I listed the other teams there. However, we have been really sloppy even against these FCS teams when it comes to TO's and putting the ball on the ground. Gotta clean that up! 

This could be a big recruiting weekend in Bloomington! Hoping we can pull the upset and impress some of the visitors.

From Steve Wiltfong at 247Sports:

Indiana is expecting many of their commits and top targets on campus for Saturday afternoon’s game against No. 17 Michigan.

Tom Allen and company will host four official visitors in Miami (Fla.) Southridge teammates in defensive end Randy Charlton, and James Head, who is already committed to the Hoosiers, along with Ole Miss receiver verbal Demarcus Gregory and IU receiver pledge Jacolby Hewitt.

The Hoosiers have been trending for Charlton since his July visit and he’s excited to get back to Bloomington.

“The IU game atmosphere and feeling of the team,” he said of what he looks forward to seeing the most.

The 6-foot-3, 196-pound Gregory has been saying he’s 100 percent committed to the Rebels but his weekend plans say otherwise. He fits the mold of what Grant Heard covets at the position and IU would love to flip the Duncan (SC) Byrnes standout.

Besides Head and Hewitt, other members of the Indiana 2018 class slated to be back include quarterback Reese Taylor, defensive ends Madison Norris and Gavin McCabe, offensive lineman Nick Marozas, safety Jordan Jusevitch, cornerback Jaylin Williams, tight end Matt Bjorson and kicker Charles Campbell.

Notable underclassmen to keep an eye out for include 2019 linebacker Jack Kiser (has IU offer), 2019 cornerback MJ Griffin (has IU offer), 2019 offensive tackle Chris Akporoghene (has IU offer), 2019 defensive end Karter Johnson, linebacker Dezman Cooper and 2020 running back Daylin Dower.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:13 AM, TXHoosierDaddy said:

We are ranked #122 in the nation in turnover margin at -7. Other teams with this exact margin are Oregon State, Kansas, UCONN and Georgia State. This has to start moving in a positive direction if we hope to knock off the better competition. 

I work with a ton of Oregon State fans. It's nice to always know there's somebody sadder than you.