Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

If Kansas wasn't a blueblood (or any other blueblood besides IU) they would get hammered. I hope it happens to Kansas, but I won't hold my breath

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/05/08/kansas-basketball-scandal-bill-self-tj-gassnola

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I definitely get the cynicism shown by a lot of people. But the biggest issue the NCAA always has had is getting anything concrete. All you had to do prior is deny, deny, deny. These are legal documents and recordings. I just don’t see how they don’t come down on Kansas. I keep seeing all of the money Kansas makes the NCAA. That’s not entirely true. March Madness makes the NCAA a ton of money. The most money. Did anyone in the 70’s feel the NCAA could survive without an Indiana or UCLA being constantly good? Probably not if we would have asked. It’s better when a Kansas is good, but the NCAA is at a crossroads and if they don’t come down on them with 5 level 1’s they are dead. IMO. If I am wrong I will have lost any shred of faith in all of this and honestly it just won’t mean much to me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I definitely get the cynicism shown by a lot of people. But the biggest issue the NCAA always has had is getting anything concrete. All you had to do prior is deny, deny, deny. These are legal documents and recordings. I just don’t see how they don’t come down on Kansas. I keep seeing all of the money Kansas makes the NCAA. That’s not entirely true. March Madness makes the NCAA a ton of money. The most money. Did anyone in the 70’s feel the NCAA could survive without an Indiana or UCLA being constantly good? Probably not if we would have asked. It’s better when a Kansas is good, but the NCAA is at a crossroads and if they don’t come down on them with 5 level 1’s they are dead. IMO. If I am wrong I will have lost any shred of faith in all of this and honestly it just won’t mean much to me anymore.

NCAA worried about the power 5 disbanding and taking the associated monies with it.

Louisville so far has got off easy. UNC miraculously dodged what they had coming. Imo, NCAA knows exactly what is going on, and didn’t want it highlighted but the FBI exposure is forcing their hand from a perception standpoint. It’ll be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

NCAA worried about the power 5 disbanding and taking the associated monies with it.

Louisville so far has got off easy. UNC miraculously dodged what they had coming. Imo, NCAA knows exactly what is going on, and didn’t want it highlighted but the FBI exposure is forcing their hand from a perception standpoint. It’ll be interesting.

They do know what’s going on. UNC dealt with academics. I agree they should have been hammered, but that’s something UNC was able to fight with the reach NCAA made then. This is recordings, notes, letters, emails, etc. you paying players. Even Kansas own fans know they are about to get hammered and most hope it’s a one year thing for postseason ban and Self gets one year suspended. That’s what their fans are mostly hoping for on various boards. But with this response from the NCAA to Kansas response means we are a couple of months from knowing what is handed down. Then the appeal. If they go to the independent board to weigh in on this I wonder what the timeline changes to. I really have zero doubts Kansas and Self get hammered. Their boards almost gave that IU feel at the end of Sampsongate. Kind of weird the majority of them are resigned to the fact they are going to get hammered. I didn’t expect that.

The 18th anniversary of Allen Iverson's famous rant was a couple days ago, so I modified it to reflect the absurdity of the NCAA slamming us while letting UNC, others get off scot-free ... 

"We in here talkin' 'bout phone calls. I mean, listen ... we talkin' 'bout phone calls. Not academic fraud. Not paying recruits. Not stripper parties. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. Not hookers. Not setting up illegal payments. Phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. I mean, how silly is that, man! ... What are we talkin' about? Phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. ... It's strange to me, too, but we here talkin' 'bout phone calls!" 

15 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

The 18th anniversary of Allen Iverson's famous rant was a couple days ago, so I modified it to reflect the absurdity of the NCAA slamming us while letting UNC, others get off scot-free ... 

"We in here talkin' 'bout phone calls. I mean, listen ... we talkin' 'bout phone calls. Not academic fraud. Not paying recruits. Not stripper parties. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. Not hookers. Not setting up illegal payments. Phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. I mean, how silly is that, man! ... What are we talkin' about? Phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. We talkin' 'bout phone calls. ... It's strange to me, too, but we here talkin' 'bout phone calls!" 

Had we handled it in house imagine how different things would have been 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I really don't know why anyone still thinks the NCAA slammed us. We turned ourselves in, got down on our knees, spilled our guts and begged for mercy. The NCAA basically just sort of giggled and said "ok, enjoy your walk-ons!" 

We didn't even beg for mercy, we self sanctioned the NCAA just accepted the sanctions.  We spilled out guts, said here's what we're doing and the NCAA said "really, okay then".

Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent has served requests for admission in their lawsuit asking him (Williamson) to admit that he received “money, benefits, favors or other things of value” to attend Duke University and to wear and/or use Nike and Adidas.

image.png.9955eb07d863f4949d8cae89d5c3c910.png

image.png.5d20e766c863b1329cb1f4a4c5e7e1fe.png

image.png.9e4b0215604af1256759ce130e7da510.png

That's the extent of what I saw online.

Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent has served requests for admission in their lawsuit asking him (Williamson) to admit that he received “money, benefits, favors or other things of value” to attend Duke University and to wear and/or use Nike and Adidas.

Interesting

Here is an article

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-basketball/news/zion-williamson-agent-impermissible-duke/1htqe60awhsnq1avosz37oksxo?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The problem the NCAA now faces is that they have turned their head for so long and let some of these schools become so corrupt that others jumped on board and now there aren’t just a few, there are a bunch and proof of this cheating on many of them is coming out all at once. If they had to reprimand one or two, no big deal, but now there are at least 8 that I can think of that there is solid proof of cheating and it will be hard to slap them all with punishment

Why would Zion admit to receiving anything? Is he legally obligated?

Zion is getting sued by this person can they ask him in a deposition if he got paid to play for Duke.  

Zion would risk perjury in this case right?  Assuming the agent has some legit proof 

It sounds like he didn’t get paid directly so they want him to acknowledge he knew why people got money. I doubt we hear him say much.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Zion is getting sued by this person can they ask him in a deposition if he got paid to play for Duke.  

Zion would risk perjury in this case right?  Assuming the agent has some legit proof 

You’d be amazed at what judges will allow in a deposition. My fiancé’s ex and his mother are facing felony aggravated stalking charges and the judge allowed his lawyer to ask my fiancé questions regarding her current residence during her deposition. 

Based off what I’ve seen with regards to this case, they’re using the threat of perjury to try and force him into admitting impermissible benefits. It will ultimately depend on what the judge allows them to ask.

Re: Zion and the claims of improper benefits

1.  As much as I'd love to see Duke hit, it's one of those schools that, IMO, does not need to do things like this to get top talent.  Kids know what that name on the jersey does for their NBA prospects, and playing/developing under Coach K is a huge advantage.  I really do find this hard to believe, that Duke would have to resort to these tactics, whether directly or through back channels, to land a kid like Zion

2. Even if this does in fact turn out to be true, I do not for one single second believe anything will happen to Duke. Ever. 

Re: Zion and the claims of improper benefits
1.  As much as I'd love to see Duke hit, it's one of those schools that, IMO, does not need to do things like this to get top talent.  Kids know what that name on the jersey does for their NBA prospects, and playing/developing under Coach K is a huge advantage.  I really do find this hard to believe, that Duke would have to resort to these tactics, whether directly or through back channels, to land a kid like Zion

2. Even if this does in fact turn out to be true, I do not for one single second believe anything will happen to Duke. Ever. 
Coach K is old and has quit coaching and wants another championship and will do whatever to get it. He changed his model of coaching from actually coaching and making the players better to just trying to win with projected talent which has not worked.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk