Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

14 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Oh I wouldn’t expect them to. It’s every coaches job to look for any advantage possible. It’s the NCAA’s job to continually improve and adjust the rules with the times. There really isn’t a ton of money outside of March Madness the NCAA gets from basketball. That tv deal alone was just over $10 billion. In Sports Illustrated in a recent article it said 80% of the revenue for the NCAA as an organization comes from March Madness. No matter who is playing that tournament has always provided viewership. When Duke played Butler it had a tv rating of 34% higher than UNC vs MSU the year before.

So while I get the NCAA does make a lot of money, I would argue their actual revenue (March Madness) they would prefer fresh teams every year. Even surprising teams. That’s good business for them. I think oversight is an issue. A complex issue that the schools don’t want in the hands of the NCAA. They are the ones reaping the benefits more so I feel on an individual level. Kansas cares Kansas is getting hammered. The NCAA really doesn’t. They are better for the product, but if they miss a tournament or two nobody in the NCAA will skip a beat.  

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Will agree with this with the small caveat that they don’t want teams with huge fan bases to miss multiple years in a row like we have.  They would want to lose a team with a huge fan base for some small commuter school out in Wyoming with a total fan base the size of IUs student base. 

Which is one reason I think they are going to let kids start using their own likeness. Big media markets Will also be able to compete with big fan bases. A star at a smaller school in a big media market can make a lot of money.  

This will allow large traditional teams with big fan bases as well as schools in big media markets to be successful. All about the $$$

Will agree with this with the small caveat that they don’t want teams with huge fan bases to miss multiple years in a row like we have.  They would want to lose a team with a huge fan base for some small commuter school out in Wyoming with a total fan base the size of IUs student base. 

Which is one reason I think they are going to let kids start using their own likeness. Big media markets Will also be able to compete with big fan bases. A star at a smaller school in a big media market can make a lot of money.  

This will allow large traditional teams with big fan bases as well as schools in big media markets to be successful. All about the $$$

Agreed. And I don’t want people to think I am suggesting paying players will go away. It won’t.

1 minute ago, mdn82 said:

Agreed. And I don’t want people to think I am suggesting paying players will go away. It won’t.

It’s just making it legal. Instead of paying a guy under the table a booster would just pay them that much to make a public appearance or do a commercial.  

They are doing this so they don’t ever have a scandal and have to act like they want to punish a Kansas or Louisville ever again. 

Frankly if I owned Yogis I’d create a meal called the 5 star special.  With half the revenue from that meal going into a fund to hire 5 stars to do a yearly appearance at Yogis. Which is then something 5 star recruits would know they are going to get if they commit 

I stopped reading Gregg Doyel and the Indianapolis Star some time ago but the headline on this article caught my eye and I took a look.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/05/11/ncaa-investigates-louisville-while-rick-pitino-coaches-iona/3109122001/

Yes, Doyel, nobody at those schools knew they were cheating.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s just making it legal. Instead of paying a guy under the table a booster would just pay them that much to make a public appearance or do a commercial.  

They are doing this so they don’t ever have a scandal and have to act like they want to punish a Kansas or Louisville ever again. 

Frankly if I owned Yogis I’d create a meal called the 5 star special.  With half the revenue from that meal going into a fund to hire 5 stars to do a yearly appearance at Yogis. Which is then something 5 star recruits would know they are going to get if they commit 

Think bigger. I want to see Lander doing an Eli Lilly commercial and telling me that side effects include irritable bowels.

Florida judge denies a stay to Zion Williamson and will allow discovery to proceed against him in FL on whether he received improper economic benefits to attend Duke. Expect an immediate appeal to the Third DCA, via a petition for writ of certiorari.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29255403

New plaintiff filings in the Zion Williamson lawsuit and a small extract from the 247 article.  

Ford's attorneys also pointed out evidence of Williamson's parents residing in a North Carolina-based property during his career at Duke with monthly rent valued at $4,995. The property reportedly belonged to a Duke alum, named Thomas Morris. There's mention of three "luxury cars" registered to Williamson's parents as well

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Zion-Williamson-lawsuit-Duke-Blue-Devils-basketball-new-evidence-alleges-cars-housing-Nike-Adidas-NCAA-violation-148039455/?fbclid=IwAR3UOAJLkJ7toWCnrDk3C00v3uN8YNO_cKR2eCQW54GC5dvxK1bLyFscipk

On 5/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, MikeRoberts said:

The problem the NCAA now faces is that they have turned their head for so long and let some of these schools become so corrupt that others jumped on board and now there aren’t just a few, there are a bunch and proof of this cheating on many of them is coming out all at once. If they had to reprimand one or two, no big deal, but now there are at least 8 that I can think of that there is solid proof of cheating and it will be hard to slap them all with punishment

It's kind of like the steroid scandal in baseball.  The NCAA benefited by having certain blue blood schools continue to stay on top by cheating, much like MLB benefited by having the home run races.  The ripple effect is that in order to stay competitive, many schools that otherwise would not have done so (just like many players that would not have done so in the steroid scandal) felt that had to in order to compete.

Honestly, screw 'em.  IMO, there are more important things in life than winning some games if you can't do it on the up and up.  Jerry Sloan was once asked if he would ever have Dennis Rodman on his team given all of the headaches he caused.....Sloan was an ultra-competitive coach, but even he had his limits.  His reply was that "I guess some things are more important to me than winning."

Earlier today:  Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent files ‘newly-discovered evidence’ in North Carolina federal lawsuit. New affidavit claims Williamson and his stepfather were paid $400K in Oct. 2018 in exchange for granting exclusive marketing rights to another agent.”  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/New-evidence-emerges-Zion-Williamson-federal-lawsuit-he-and-stepfather-received-400000-dollars-Duke-Blue-Devils-New-Orleans-Pelicans-148981869/?fbclid=IwAR3tUPP7eTjL1HTu62LqslbOJ-kZJ4Kgsu9mu_rQxJ3lUxIxwGdooykTCeA

Earlier today:  Zion Williamson’s former marketing agent files ‘newly-discovered evidence’ in North Carolina federal lawsuit. New affidavit claims Williamson and his stepfather were paid $400K in Oct. 2018 in exchange for granting exclusive marketing rights to another agent.”  
https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/New-evidence-emerges-Zion-Williamson-federal-lawsuit-he-and-stepfather-received-400000-dollars-Duke-Blue-Devils-New-Orleans-Pelicans-148981869/?fbclid=IwAR3tUPP7eTjL1HTu62LqslbOJ-kZJ4Kgsu9mu_rQxJ3lUxIxwGdooykTCeA

Falls inline with what I heard long ago from a HS coach with Clemson ties. He said 350k. Ayton supposedly got 250k. Plus all the additional perks.

It's kind of like the steroid scandal in baseball.  The NCAA benefited by having certain blue blood schools continue to stay on top by cheating, much like MLB benefited by having the home run races.  The ripple effect is that in order to stay competitive, many schools that otherwise would not have done so (just like many players that would not have done so in the steroid scandal) felt that had to in order to compete.
Honestly, screw 'em.  IMO, there are more important things in life than winning some games if you can't do it on the up and up.  Jerry Sloan was once asked if he would ever have Dennis Rodman on his team given all of the headaches he caused.....Sloan was an ultra-competitive coach, but even he had his limits.  His reply was that "I guess some things are more important to me than winning."
I just want all the cheaters to be put on blast so all past accomplishments are tarnished. Kansas, Kentucky,Duke, msu,Louisville. The obvious ones who have blatantly cheated. That is my hope

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just want all the cheaters to be put on blast so all past accomplishments are tarnished. Kansas, Kentucky,Duke, msu,Louisville. The obvious ones who have blatantly cheated. That is my hope

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You’d have to get into levels at that point or just name the few programs who’ve had success that didn’t cheat, as much. I would like to see some type of graph of the dirtiest programs compared with the winningest.