Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

13 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27390195/avenatti-filing-nike-okd-payments-zion-more

OH. DEAR. GOD!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If Nike thought they were going to move the needle with a 20,000 dollar offer after all adidas had done for the Langford’s that’s kind of foolish 

Romeo being paired with Zion is great news for IU actually. There is no chance, none, the NCAA pursues anything against Duke. There will be some dismissive remarks about Avenatti being a disreputable scumbag (no doubt true) and it will die quietly. The NCAA will then return to worshiping at it's shrine to Coach K.

Where’s the guy who called me foolish for thinking the Langford’s would have any involvement in this world?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm very confused by this passage in that ESPN story -- which are the second and third graphs. They seem to contradict each other. The first graph here (second in the story) says the "offers" to Zion and Romeo provide proof that Nike execs arranged for and made payments to players and their families. The very next sentence says there is no evidence that any offers or payments were made to Zion or Romeo. Huh? 

The alleged offers -- $35,000 or more for Williamson and $20,000 for Langford -- were purportedly discovered among "text messages, e-mails and other documents from 2016-17 ... proving that Nike executives had arranged for and concealed payments, often in cash, to amateur basketball players and their families and 'handlers,'" according to the motion filed in U.S. District Court in New York.

There is no evidence that the offers or payments were made to Williamson, Langford or their families. 

26 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm very confused by this passage in that ESPN story -- which are the second and third graphs. They seem to contradict each other. The first graph here (second in the story) says the "offers" to Zion and Romeo provide proof that Nike execs arranged for and made payments to players and their families. The very next sentence says there is no evidence that any offers or payments were made to Zion or Romeo. Huh? 

The alleged offers -- $35,000 or more for Williamson and $20,000 for Langford -- were purportedly discovered among "text messages, e-mails and other documents from 2016-17 ... proving that Nike executives had arranged for and concealed payments, often in cash, to amateur basketball players and their families and 'handlers,'" according to the motion filed in U.S. District Court in New York.

There is no evidence that the offers or payments were made to Williamson, Langford or their families. 

Proof that they engaged in the practice of paying players/families/coaches but no proof of it to anyone specific.  Apparently the documentation shows that they approved making offers to the 2 named players.  IMO, it's kind of shoddy journalism, implying that they proved one thing (no one named) and try to tie in players without any evidence the players were involved or even aware of it.

That's my take on the article, anyway.

Romeo being paired with Zion is great news for IU actually. There is no chance, none, the NCAA pursues anything against Duke. There will be some dismissive remarks about Avenatti being a disreputable scumbag (no doubt true) and it will die quietly. The NCAA will then return to worshiping at it's shrine to Coach K.
Or iu self sanctions and reports violations. Doc scholarship and 1 year post season ban lol. Archie on 2 year probation

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Or iu self sanctions and reports violations. Doc scholarship and 1 year post season ban lol. Archie on 2 year probation

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Dook does the complete opposite and forces Nike to increase their salary cap. Dook lands a Bron Bron James for the 2019 class. The Lakers report that LeBron has taken a leave of absence for the year..

56 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Proof that they engaged in the practice of paying players/families/coaches but no proof of it to anyone specific.  Apparently the documentation shows that they approved making offers to the 2 named players.  IMO, it's kind of shoddy journalism, implying that they proved one thing (no one named) and try to tie in players without any evidence the players were involved or even aware of it.

That's my take on the article, anyway.

I don't think it's really shoddy journalism. They're saying there is proof that Nike offered money to Zion and Romeo. There is no proof that either player accepted that money. With the available info though, we can make the assumption that Nike does engage in paying high school basketball players. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think it's really shoddy journalism. They're saying there is proof that Nike offered money to Zion and Romeo. There is no proof that either player accepted that money. With the available info though, we can make the assumption that Nike does engage in paying high school basketball players. 

The story specifically says "there is no evidence that the offers or payments were made to Williamson, Langford or their families." ... How is that proof that Nike offered money to Zion and Romeo? And how is that proof that Nike arranged for payments to players and their families? ... The writing of that article is very unclear. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

The story specifically says "there is no evidence that the offers or payments were made to Williamson, Langford or their families." ... How is that proof that Nike offered money to Zion and Romeo? And how is that proof that Nike arranged for payments to players and their families? ... The writing of that article is very unclear. 

You're right. I read that incorrectly. The first paragraph says there is evidence and the second says there is no evidence. Gotcha. 

It’s all about the wording.

Nike was willing to offer that much for those players. Appears confirmed through texts, etc.

Did Nike actually offer it? Unclear, no evidence

Did families accept? No evidence.

This was my take. Being offered isn't illegal(for the player). Taking it is. I read there is no evidence of the latter

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Something definitely illegal - their consultant breaks the laws of English by having no vowels in his last name.  But seriously, I guess we'll see how much evidence has to hit the NCAA in their collective face before they act.