Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

After reading the Marty Blazer story I wonder how much further this will go. This first wave allowed the FBI to get information because those passing money were not worried about getting caught.

Now, unless kids kept texts from a coach or there is some other evidence already out there to capture folks are going to shut this down for a bit. Even reading that story you saw how there was some degree of caution so there might not be much out there to get.

I hope I am wrong but I think the haul on this will be smaller than I originally thought

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yep, if they have the evidence already, those associated are screwed but if they are planning on getting new evidence, this whole ordeal gave everyone time to cover tracks and avoid such actions for the near future

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not so sure that some of these trails can be quickly swept away, I'm sure the feds knew that this will cause any other perpetrators to try to clean their tracks, but they now know what they're looking for, too.

I'm not so sure that some of these trails can be quickly swept away, I'm sure the feds knew that this will cause any other perpetrators to try to clean their tracks, but they now know what they're looking for, too.

There will always be smoke but the wire taps/recordings are going to be hard to come by over the next few months and that is the concrete evidence that was always lacking that they got in the latest probe.

People overestimate how much evidence is needed to convince a jury in any given case. It's a tree. The article Stu posted on like page 45 shows how the trunk grew around Blazer and then reached out into these first branches. Now these branches start producing branches of their own so instead of being pruned, they're nurtured. And on and on.

There are witnesses in the charged group who will be able to provide evidence on associates who will be able to provide evidence on associates. Two people have every message.  A lot can be deleted, but phone records or tower records can't; bank statements correlated with income taxes, etc. White collar crime doesn't pay because it leaves massive trails but hides them under millions of similar trails, but as soon as you know what you're looking for, you see it everywhere.

i can't tell you how many times I've gone back over documents that were set aside as not relevant after learning a key fact and suddenly everything had new meaning. 

And these guys never expected this. They thought they were breaking some NCAA rules and in the worst case face a show-cause for a couple years. They didn't expect to be staring down the barrel at 121 years; they'll do what they have to. The general offer from the FBI was a good one. If you know something, come forward now and cooperate because the more information they have, the less they need yours and it's not the mob, there won't be reprisals for snitches, just shame and relative freedom. 

Oh please can I hear Pitino say, "snitches end up in ditches?"

Yep, if they have the evidence already, those associated are screwed but if they are planning on getting new evidence, this whole ordeal gave everyone time to cover tracks and avoid such actions for the near future

Maybe they went public to soon.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Another good article. Interesting to see that Self was close with Gatto.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/two-men-bring-college-basketball-011524387.html

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Makes sense since Zion Williamson all of a sudden got hot for KU. Also, wonder about Josh Jackson. He committed towards the end and wonder his ties to Adidas while in high school/AAU. 

Shame on me, I forgot to link Coach-2's statement of the day yesterday. He's 'received' a lot of warm wishes from his collegiate teams; no news from the late 80's Knicks or late 90's Celtics. I really want to hear Charles Oakley's take.