Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

40 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

My thought as I read it was to wonder how much of this has already filtered down to the high school level when kids up and leave and head off to a basketball factory school located a very long way away from their home. 

Been telling some buddies this. I wouldnt touch any of UL's recruits with a 10 foot pole.

I don't see the NCAA shuttering the UL program for any period of time, for several reasons: 
1) Practice starts in a couple days. Unless the NCAA acts in the next 2-3 days, I don't see them letting these guys practice for any period of time, then saying, "Hey, sorry -- you guys don't get to have a season." 
2) I can't believe they'd let them play this season -- when the poop hit the fan -- then decide they can't play in 2018-19 or later.
3) There's too much money to be lost 
4) If they didn't shut down an athletic program that harbored a child rapist for years while looking the other way, I don't think it happens here. 

1) That is if the university wanted to get ahead of what many expect in a lost season. Not necessarily what the NCAA would do this season.

2) Again this currently not at a NCAA level. Have you seen how quickly they move (UNC, Hookers)?

3) Tell that to SMU and the NCAA that is trying to prove their worth.

4) That child rapist was a first offense. Not back to back major violations. The NCAA actually said they aren't the morality police. They are here for the student athlete. I hate to be blunt on that subject, but they care about this more as this effects the people they are charged with protecting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I reread the affidavits and complaints with looking for liability for players in mind. I revise my answer, the players' families are toast, if desired. Conspiracy to wire fraud, possible wire fraud, conspiracy to launder money, possible laundering, and travel act conspiracy could all be on the table just from the existing affidavit. Most demonstrated clear foreknowledge of the illegality of the transactions, encouraged them, and participated in them.

Hold onto your butts, things are going to get bumpy.

At least, Crean's recruiting helps us now. No one was paying for Tim Priller

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm concerned about the Arizona situation for a couple of reasons. First, I have a really hard time believing that Sean Miller didn't know what was going on in his program. Second, having been on the staff at Arizona, and Ohio State, I have a hard time believing that Archie Miller wasn't aware of what was happening in recruiting. I don't think he was directly involved in anything while at Dayton. But I wonder if he would have been willing to play the game once he got here. He knows the expectations here and he knows why we fired Coach Crean. All that said, I really like what I have heard and seen so far from Coach Miller, but having a brother deep in this mess makes me uncomfortable.

If Crean was clean, then I don't think the timing of this could be better for IU. If there was any chance Archie was going to play the shady recruiting game, he surely won't be now. And I don't think anyone that's committed for '18 thus far would have been someone who required those tactics. 

Romeo? I guess it's possible, but he hasn't committed yet, so he hasn't taken any payment I would assume.

Edited by kottke

I reread the affidavits and complaints with looking for liability for players in mind. I revise my answer, the players' families are toast, if desired. Conspiracy to wire fraud, possible wire fraud, conspiracy to launder money, possible laundering, and travel act conspiracy could all be on the table just from the existing affidavit. Most demonstrated clear foreknowledge of the illegality of the transactions, encouraged them, and participated in them.

BUT what if Tim Priller caught Crean red handed and blackmailed his spot on the team..... the plot thickens....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

29 minutes ago, MartintheMopMan said:

Taxes on the income from any payments to players/families.

I'm pulling this from another board because it's a tad relevant to us:

According to an AAU coach, South Carolina, Kansas, and UCLA may be next. There's also approximately 15 Adidas sponsored AAU programs on a list to be investigated. Indiana Elite, Team Loaded, Mass Rivals, and Atlanta Celtics to name a few. The ASM raid may implicate some parents of Indiana players aka Teague and Lyles.

I'm not a subscriber so I can't access and post the full article from theathletic.com but Slick Rick's NCAA issues go back much farther than I remembered.  He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant in 1974 at Hawaii and this is an extract from what is available on the website.

… during Pitino’s brief tenure there, Hawaii’s basketball program committed dozens of NCAA violations that eventually landed it on two years probation. Pitino was named in eight of the 64 infractions the NCAA listed in its final report. That included providing round-trip airfare for players, arranging for players to receive used cars in exchange for game tickets, and providing false information to the NCAA. When the scandal first hit, Hawaii fired head coach Bruce O’Neill and allowed Pitino to finish the 1975-76 season as...

17 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm pulling this from another board because it's a tad relevant to us:

According to an AAU coach, South Carolina, Kansas, and UCLA may be next. There's also approximately 15 Adidas sponsored AAU programs on a list to be investigated. Indiana Elite, Team Loaded, Mass Rivals, and Atlanta Celtics to name a few. The ASM raid may implicate some parents of Indiana players aka Teague and Lyles.

I'm pretty old so my memory might not be that good, but didn't Trey Lyle's dad try to work Coach Crean for some extra benefits? Coach Crean walked away, and where did he end up again?

Edited by cthomas
Autocorrect error.