Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

1 minute ago, Demo said:

What, if any, possible legal exposure do the kids involved have in this? Are they just looking at loss of eligibility and reputation, or is there a worse scenario? 

Btw: you should probably be charging us at this point.

I'm speculating: I believe that their primary danger for criminal exposure would likely come from purposely false or misleading grand jury testimony.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm speculating: I believe that their primary danger for criminal exposure would likely come from purposely false or misleading grand jury testimony.

All else being equal, the athletes might have violated NCAA rules, but no federal laws were broken...if I'm understanding correctly.

3 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

All else being equal, the athletes might have violated NCAA rules, but no federal laws were broken...if I'm understanding correctly.

Welllllll....while they could be Title 18, section 2 co-conspirators...that's in theory....only.

In reality, they will more likely be witnesses via the magic of prosecutive leverage, proffer letters, and qualified immunity.

As was once said in my presence by a defense attorney:

(Attorney picks up weighty Federal Statutory code book; plops it back down on the desk) "I know you've got something for my guy in there somewhere!"

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Welllllll....while they could be Title 18, section 2 co-conspirators...that's in theory....only.

In reality, they will more likely be witnesses via the magic of prosecutive leverage, proffer letters, and qualified immunity.

I could see possible coconspirator charges for wire fraud or travel act as well, with the caveat that I do not do federal criminal work. That's wicked fact-dependent. Whether or not they'd stick is a tougher question  but ultimately irrelevant. They will not charge the athletes formally, they'll threaten charges to secure cooperation, it's not worth the headache.

On the facts, it's all speculation at this point. The complaints did not have enough specific information to judge culpability of additional parties. That will all filter out moving forward.

The athletes have some insulation in that they aren't public employees. While there would be other issues, it's arguably legal for private schools to funnel money to students as far as I know, the problems arise because the coaches work for the government and are held to a higher standard. Culpability will rest on what anyone knew, when they knew it, and what they said about the same, as always.

Though mostly, I just want reassurance that we aren't going to be pulled into this. Forking Adidas.

I don't see the NCAA shuttering the UL program for any period of time, for several reasons: 
1) Practice starts in a couple days. Unless the NCAA acts in the next 2-3 days, I don't see them letting these guys practice for any period of time, then saying, "Hey, sorry -- you guys don't get to have a season." 
2) I can't believe they'd let them play this season -- when the poop hit the fan -- then decide they can't play in 2018-19 or later.
3) There's too much money to be lost 
4) If they didn't shut down an athletic program that harbored a child rapist for years while looking the other way, I don't think it happens here. 

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

thank you so much for sharing this. a tremendous column by a almost always tremendous writer

7 minutes ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Looks like Florida and Vandy will be hot on him. From Florida.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

If I were an AD, I think I might be telling my coaching staff that I don't want anywhere near these kids until the dust has settled.  Major egg on the face to bring in one of them and then find out later that they're no better than Bowen when it comes to having taken $$$.

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My thought as I read it was to wonder how much of this has already filtered down to the high school level when kids up and leave and head off to a basketball factory school located a very long way away from their home.