Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

56 minutes ago, azguybob said:

Indiana mentioned in CBB investigation ...Indiana assistant coach Chuck Martin was alleged to have said he’d push OG and Thomas Bryant to sign with ASM if they could get Bryan Bowen to go to IU.......anyone know anything about this 

There was an error in the original reporting. Martin didn’t say that. The agent in an intra office email said he told Martin he would help get Bowen to IU if Martin could get OG and Bryant to sign with the agent when they went into the draft. 

OG and Bryant did not sign with that agent. 

There was an error in the original reporting. Martin didn’t say that. The agent in an intra office email said he told Martin he would help get Bowen to IU if Martin could get OG and Bryant to sign with the agent when they went into the draft. 
OG and Bryant did not sign with that agent. 

Reporters make alot of mistakes

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm really really really hoping Cal get busted.

Next news will be msu i bet and it leaks wed thurs or friday imo. Right ar big ten tournament start. If that happens i look for bigger leaks before start of march madness. This is beginning to look like a strategic attack imo. These are all guesses no sources

15 hours ago, Myrmidon76 said:

Recruiting as a whole is probably going to be under the microscope at least for the next few cycles. I can forsee another attempt of adding a layer of scrutiny to avoid corruption, but as long as the shoe companies are involved and the one and done rule is around...they'll find a way. I hope the NBA starts a true tweener league (or actually make the G league viable for that) for high level prospects so the corrupt can go take a risk on themselves instead of academic institutions who want to compete athletically.

I don't think there's much fan interest for a "tweener league". The G League has terrible attendance. Fans, for the most part, don't go to college games to watch certain players. They go to watch the schools. The name of the school is what drives the interest. Take that away and put the same players in a G league type of league and the interest would drop, imo. 

15 hours ago, Myrmidon76 said:

Recruiting as a whole is probably going to be under the microscope at least for the next few cycles. I can forsee another attempt of adding a layer of scrutiny to avoid corruption, but as long as the shoe companies are involved and the one and done rule is around...they'll find a way. I hope the NBA starts a true tweener league (or actually make the G league viable for that) for high level prospects so the corrupt can go take a risk on themselves instead of academic institutions who want to compete athletically.

Yep for a few years and then it will be back to business as usual.

Next news will be msu i bet and it leaks wed thurs or friday imo. Right ar big ten tournament start. If that happens i look for bigger leaks before start of march madness. This is beginning to look like a strategic attack imo. These are all guesses no sources

We all know Cal uses burner phone. Make one call and get a new one

Sent from my XT1650 using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think there's much fan interest for a "tweener league". The G League has terrible attendance. Fans, for the most part, don't go to college games to watch certain players. They go to watch the schools. The name of the school is what drives the interest. Take that away and put the same players in a G league type of league and the interest would drop, imo. 

These kids should not be paid and they already get over 100,000 in free college. There should be three other choices. We already have a lot of kids playing one year of college who are not student athletes and have no interest in being in college. You think most of the Kentucky one and dones are actually taking real classes? So now we pay them to to do the exact same thing. No thanks. If they start paying players you may as well call it NBA 2.0 No thanks.

And as I have said before if you do pay them be prepared to all pay students athletes including all women’s non-revenue sports.  College sports as we know it would be basically a semi pro league.

1. Ball's league.

2. Ending one and done.

3. Go to the D league or Europe.

13 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

These kids should not be paid and they already get over 100,000 in free college. There should be three other choices. We already have a lot of kids playing one year of college who are not student athletes and have no interest in being in college. You think most of the Kentucky one and dones are actually taking real classes? So now we pay them to to do the exact same thing. No thanks. If they start paying players you may as well call it NBA 2.0 No thanks.

And as I have said before if you do pay them be prepared to all pay students athletes including all women’s non-revenue sports.  College sports as we know it would be basically a semi pro league.

1. Ball's league.

2. Ending one and done.

It's not up to the NCAA to end one and dones. That's the NBA's rule. 

I'm sure there would be a way to get around paying all athletes. Most sports are already losing money and have to be supported by football and men's basketball.

I'm just curious why you're so opposed to paying the players. Your "it would be the NBA 2.0" doesn't hold up. You watch basketball now even though you know that players are getting paid. The only difference would be that it would be out in the open instead of hidden. What's your real reason for being against it?

Drop a name!!!  Curious to see which direction those sites are saying this goes. 

Guy on rupp named xrainmanx claiming to have sources in past saying texas and msu is up next to drop this week. I dont trust people on this board that i like let alone some random jack over there but did find it interesting to see if he is right

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Guy on rupp named xrainmanx claiming to have sources in past saying texas and msu is up next to drop this week. I dont trust people on this board that i like let alone some random jack over there but did find it interesting to see if he is right

I would love to see Izzo get nailed and he is slime. I would not expect Bill Self to ever get nailed. To big to fail as is Duke.

It's not up to the NCAA to end one and dones. That's the NBA's rule. 
I'm sure there would be a way to get around paying all athletes. Most sports are already losing money and have to be supported by football and men's basketball.
I'm just curious why you're so opposed to paying the players. Your "it would be the NBA 2.0" doesn't hold up. You watch basketball now even though you know that players are getting paid. The only difference would be that it would be out in the open instead of hidden. What's your real reason for being against it?

Technically they are being paid. They don't have a huge tuition bill to pay after they graduate or leave. They are getting to travel for free. Go to New York , Hawaii , California and now they are playing some games overseas. If they want more then they can go play over seas for a year. They shouldn't get paid. It will cause more of a mess than it will fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

1. Ball's league.

2. Ending one and done.

No doubt the "system" needs to change. If the NBA adopted a MLB draft policy it would help a LOT, IMO. 

I would go a step farther and say paying the college players isn't going to solve the problem, either. 

Kentucky, Carolina and Duke aren't cheating to help poor, disadvantaged inner-city youth. They cheat to win games and all that goes with that (prestige and mostly, money.) 

Creating some elaborate pay scale that gives players $3k or $5k or $15k a year won't change that. This issue isn't any different then any other cheating scenario. Why don't you or I cheat on our taxes, our wives or at a board game? A) It's morally reprehensible to us (clearly NOT the case with many/most top NCAA programs) or B) the risk of getting caught/punished is too great and not worth it. 

IMO, that is what needs to change. Go scorched earth so the risk of getting caught out-weighs the reward. 

It won't be simple, with agents and AAU etc involved. But it CAN be greatly improved if there is the will to do it. 

I don't buy the "too big to fail" argument here.  I'm in total agreement that the NCAA probably wouldn't hurt any of their cash cows, but this is the FBI, not the NCAA, and they're all about taking down the "too big to fail" guys.  In fact, I'd put good money on it that there are several agents pulling out all the stops to get to those "big fish" as it would be a career-making bust for them.