Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Indiana vs OSU Game Thread - 8/31 @ 8:00ET on ESPN

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I never ignored O$U's talent? I'm not judging Lagow on a single game against one of the most talented teams. I'm judging based on his overall time at IU. He made bad passes the other night that his receivers went up and got. He bounced several passes off OSU player's backs and helmets.

Wasn't O$U's secondary extremely young? How often was #12 picked on. I bet a ton of Lagow's passing yards were against him and I believe a few TDs as well. They might be NFL caliber corners but not anytime soon. 12 looked like a Doug Mallory recruit for much of the game.

If you read my previous post... I stated Lagow can still have a great season. I believe he was slightly better than last season in the first game against a great team.

I hope he has better numbers... we don't have a run game so if he has the same or worse numbers we're screwed.

I think you're discounting the opponent, in this case.  The game plan was very obvious....any time Cobbs had 1 on 1 coverage...throw to him.  The PLAN was to let receivers make plays.  They weren't bad throws, they were the throws he was asked to make.  Our WR's couldn't get open consistently on the outside; so they make plays on go routes, on back shoulder throws, and on timing throws.  They were able to do so (get open) on crossing routes and hitches, and Timion had a hell of a game, too.  Cobbs is big and strong on the outside, and was asked to make plays on those throws.  He had 12 catches and at least..20 targets.   Lagow was far more accurate than he was a year ago; but OSU's defensive line is by far the best IU will face all season; and no...they did not have a running game Thursday.  They will...and they won't see a D line like that again.   When a QB is asked to throw 65 times, he's not going to be perfect.  Not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning, and not Richard Lagow

When the game was on the line...say the first 2 1/2 quarters when Indiana could hang with that depth; he had 3 TD's and 1 INT which was tipped.  Lagow was far more accurate than he was a year ago; and made a handful of mistakes with pressure in his face; but all QB''s at every level do that.  

At the end of the day, Indiana will win 6-8 games this season, and he will have been the QB on two bowl teams.  I'm not sure what expectations are, or what you think he cost Indiana the other night or will moving forward; but I saw more improvement than you did.

Re: running game, that'll be there.  OSU has so many great players up there; with Indiana's young line, they weren't going to have consistent success running it.  They just weren't.   That's not our peer.  That's not a team Indiana should measure itself against right now.  I was impressed by the elimination of stupid penalties; by better tackling before we obviously wore down; by intensity, by game plan..   I saw far more positive than negative; and when OSU plays for the national title, I think Indiana's deficiencies will be long forgotten.

I didn't think he cost Indiana the game on Thursday. I had IU losing well before kickoff. It's about measuring Lagow against Lagow. Was he better? Yes, he made some better throws. Did he make bad decisions? Yes, he made bad decisions that led to an INT that could have ended up being many more.

Why was the INT tipped? Lagow put the ball where a defender made a play on it. You don't do that in the red zone. It's your receivers ball or it's out of bounds.

Lagow also needs to know when and where to get rid of the ball. There were several other plays that he was in danger of losing possession. I think at this point Lagow is who he is. He'll put up some numbers, make some bad decisions, and we'll get those wins. Remember though, the defense was a huge reason we got to s bowl game last season. If we manage to get there again they'll be a huge factor.

Lagow is who he is guys. He's a slightly above average quarterback based on the fact that he has great arm strength and pretty good accuracy. Everything else leaves a lot to be desired. He will continue to make bad plays if defenses can put lots of pressure on him. I don't see us winning more than 6 games either if the running game is anything like Thursday. It must improve. 

I think you guys are way too hard on a kid after one game against that competition.  He had guys in his face all night, and not much time to throw.  You're asking a kid to make split second decisions and execute every throw perfectly under duress.   I'd just say hold your criticism for a week or two.   I'm not sure why (with nothing behind him that's any better) you're so quick to be critical and paint a picture of a kid who "makes bad decisions."    He did a year ago....against far worse teams than he saw the other night.   I saw dramatic improvement and a kid asked to MAKE tough throws all night long.  

I don't get how anyone can say "we can't run the ball" and things like that after playing against that defense.  Ohio State will hold more than half its opponents under 21 points; and I would bet almost ALL under 21 points in 2.5 quarters..  Mark my words.  And we scored them when it mattered.  Our game plan was obviously to spread them out.  It was not to establish the run.  Again, I'd say wait a week or two before making quick judgments.   This was Indiana vs an NFL team.  We won't see that again.  Blaming a tipped ball on a quarterback is nit picky and reeks of an alternate agenda.  Sometimes, defensive players make plays.  They're on scholarship, too.   I dunno'.  Maybe you guys just want to hate on Lagow for whatever reason.  If he blows up in the next 2 weeks, I'll be with you.  After that game, I'm more than willing to give him a pass.  Again, when it mattered, he had 3 TD's, 1 pick, over 300 yards, and led Indiana to 21 points against a team that might win the national title.  

Lagow is who he is guys. He's a slightly above average quarterback based on the fact that he has great arm strength and pretty good accuracy. Everything else leaves a lot to be desired. He will continue to make bad plays if defenses can put lots of pressure on him. I don't see us winning more than 6 games either if the running game is anything like Thursday. It must improve. 

I think it's too early to start judging Lagow's improvement lack thereof off of one game against (probably) the best team he will face all season. People complaining about the turnovers; what else was he to do? Get sacked? He had literally 3-4 seconds to make a decision. I will wait to pass judgement after we see what he can do against Virginia.

Sent from my Pixel using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

This.

I'd LOVE to be eating my words in another few weeks. The competition was outstanding but it reeked of last season Lagow to me.

There was a window for Lagow to get that pass in the end zone or out of bounds. I'll never be convinced that was a good pass and/or a lucky play by the defender. As a senior QB, you have to value the ball and making that throw is not winning football.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I think you guys are way too hard on a kid after one game against that competition.  He had guys in his face all night, and not much time to throw.  You're asking a kid to make split second decisions and execute every throw perfectly under duress.   I'd just say hold your criticism for a week or two.   I'm not sure why (with nothing behind him that's any better) you're so quick to be critical and paint a picture of a kid who "makes bad decisions."    He did a year ago....against far worse teams than he saw the other night.   I saw dramatic improvement and a kid asked to MAKE tough throws all night long.  

I don't get how anyone can say "we can't run the ball" and things like that after playing against that defense.  Ohio State will hold more than half its opponents under 21 points; and I would bet almost ALL under 21 points in 2.5 quarters..  Mark my words.  And we scored them when it mattered.  Our game plan was obviously to spread them out.  It was not to establish the run.  Again, I'd say wait a week or two before making quick judgments.   This was Indiana vs an NFL team.  We won't see that again.  Blaming a tipped ball on a quarterback is nit picky and reeks of an alternate agenda.  Sometimes, defensive players make plays.  They're on scholarship, too.   I dunno'.  Maybe you guys just want to hate on Lagow for whatever reason.  If he blows up in the next 2 weeks, I'll be with you.  After that game, I'm more than willing to give him a pass.  Again, when it mattered, he had 3 TD's, 1 pick, over 300 yards, and led Indiana to 21 points against a team that might win the national title.  

It's not one game. We saw him all last year against all levels of competition. Nobody is blaming the game on him. All people are saying is that based on that game he looks like the same Lagow as he did last season. And that's not a good thing (although not at all surprising to me).

Also, calling Ohio St. an NFL team is laughable.

It's not one game. We saw him all last year against all levels of competition. Nobody is blaming the game on him. All people are saying is that based on that game he looks like the same Lagow as he did last season. And that's not a good thing (although not at all surprising to me).

We don't have a better option, first. Second.. he was solid at worst Thursday night. I have no idea what some of you expect sometimes. We saw him last year without Cobbs. Apparently that's going to make a difference. Not to mention Thomas who I really like. We are fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We don't have a better option, first. Second.. he was solid at worst Thursday night. I have no idea what some of you expect sometimes. We saw him last year without Cobbs. Apparently that's going to make a difference. Not to mention Thomas who I really like. We are fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

I expect him to play smarter. To not force the issue so much and turn the ball over multiple times each game. It's pretty simple really. Ball security is huge and he has never been able to grasp that. If you are trying to tell me he doesn't have issues in that area there's no point in this conversation even going any further. 

4 hours ago, Crimson and Cream said:

It is one game. This season.   He had 3 TD's, over 300 yards, and 1 INT on a tipped ball during the time in the game when it mattered.   Against the #2 team in the country.  OSU has 4 players on defense projected in the top 2 rounds of the 2018 NFL mock draft.  Laughable...how, exactly? 

46 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

I expect him to play smarter. To not force the issue so much and turn the ball over multiple times each game. It's pretty simple really. Ball security is huge and he has never been able to grasp that. If you are trying to tell me he doesn't have issues in that area there's no point in this conversation even going any further. 

He was asked to make those throws this week.  Asked to let his receivers make a play.  That was very clearly the game plan.  I'm telling you I don't see that as an issue this season yet.   You need to grasp that before you make blanket statements.  Let's have this conversation again in a week or two.  I'm not telling you you're wrong; but I think making a blanket judgement based on that game is premature.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He had 3 Turnovers. And as we saw last year he has these problems against everybody. He looked eerily Similar to last year. 

Context matters.  Talk to me in a week or two.  Let's see how he does against "everybody."  OSU is not "everybody."   There's nobody behind him close to better, and Indiana is absolutely a 6-8 win team if they stay healthy; so you all are just bitching for the sake of bitching.

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Context matters.  Talk to me in a week or two.  Let's see how he does against "everybody."  OSU is not "everybody."   There's nobody behind him close to better, and Indiana is absolutely a 6-8 win team if they stay healthy; so you all are just b******* for the sake of b*******.

We're really not though. We watched him throw 17 interceptions last year and many other passes that could've been interceptions. We watched him make many of the same mistakes Thursday night that he made last season. Sure it was against a great team, but it's still worrisome. 

We're really not though. We watched him throw 17 interceptions last year and many other passes that could've been interceptions. We watched him make many of the same mistakes Thursday night that he made last season. Sure it was against a great team, but it's still worrisome. 

What would have made you feel better about Lagow this past Thursday? Tuck the ball and take the sack every other play? Throw the ball to the sidelines? Would that have been better decision making? I'm sure he would have still been criticized if he "took care" of the ball, but we would have lost either way; OSU just had more talent top to bottom.

19 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

What would have made you feel better about Lagow this past Thursday? Tuck the ball and take the sack every other play? Throw the ball to the sidelines? Would that have been better decision making? I'm sure he would have still been criticized if he "took care" of the ball, but we would have lost either way; OSU just had more talent top to bottom.

If you want to give him a pass due to us being up against such a good team then I understand that and don't really disagree. My problem is that we saw many of the same errors we saw last year. He stares down his first target and doesn't look elsewhere. He doesn't have good pocket awareness. He forced bad throws. His receivers bailed him out a lot. They're all things we saw him do last year too. Perhaps he has improved in those areas and playing Ohio State just made them all resurface, or maybe he hasn't actually improved. Time will tell. 

Not sure why Lagow is taking all this flack. He is the only reason we scored any points this game. There was no rush game to speak of, the pass pro was shotty at best, and the defense definitely looks like it may have regressed. I don't want to hear anything about another QB coming in, as Ramsey looked scared and skittish while in and threw errant passes. Priority fixes: OL/Run Game, Pass Pro, Getting pressure on the opposing QB

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Lagow was the least of our problems this week. Plenty of other heads on sticks.

Granted Lagow had some bad games last year so he doesn't get any benefit of the doubt from many this year.

RB, OL, DL. Areas of concern. Same as Colts for 10 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app