Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

Disagree in part. UK may have one title but they’ve been in the running virtually every single year.

I prefer to get to know players and such and if we can be as successful as UK using that model then great.

Winning is the most fun though. UK wins. The model is likely exhausting but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Disagree in part. UK may have one title but they’ve been in the running virtually every single year.

I prefer to get to know players and such and if we can be as successful as UK using that model then great.

Winning is the most fun though. UK wins. The model is likely exhausting but it works.

I think the real key is multi year talented players. Trayce most likely Lander and TK fit that mold. 

But as long as our lowest ranked guys are 80-130 I think we will be fine as long as we can keep them from transferring and get to benefit from their senior years. 

If we get a 5 star every year and our lowest ranked guys are still in the top 150 we will be one of the more talented teams in the conference. 

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, not to turn this thread sideways, but Calipari has been extremely successful at UK. I know National Titles are the goal and he's had a ton of talent, but National Titles are hard and also take a great deal of luck. 

Cal has been to 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours in 10 years at UK (not counting this season since there was no tournament). Indiana has been to 8 Elite Eights and 6 Final Fours in the last 47 years. So yes, while 1 National Title has been a little disappointing for him, Cal has been wildly successful at UK. 

Yeah, not to turn this thread sideways, but Calipari has been extremely successful at UK. I know National Titles are the goal and he's had a ton of talent, but National Titles are hard and also take a great deal of luck. 
Cal has been to 7 Elite Eights and 4 Final Fours in 10 years at UK (not counting this season since there was no tournament). Indiana has been to 8 Elite Eights and 6 Final Fours in the last 47 years. So yes, while 1 National Title has been a little disappointing for him, Cal has been wildly successful at UK. 

Absolutely, and many of their fans still aren’t happy. Sure, some Indiana fans may react in kind, but give me results anywhere even close to that and I’m happy as a lark.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Brass Canon: "If we get a 5 star every year and our lowest ranked guys are still in the top 150 we will be one of the more talented teams in the conference."

The 2020-21 season will be the test of this argument. IU will have two 5-stars in TJD and Lander, a group of experienced players (including a couple of top 100 players), and 3 freshmen in the 110-150 range.

23 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Brass Canon: "If we get a 5 star every year and our lowest ranked guys are still in the top 150 we will be one of the more talented teams in the conference."

The 2020-21 season will be the test of this argument. IU will have two 5-stars in TJD and Lander, a group of experienced players (including a couple of top 100 players), and 3 freshmen in the 110-150 range.

From a talent perspective I would put our roster up against any bodies except maybe MSU. 

There’s other aspect that we need to see. 

Indeed!

Does it? 

Wisconsin just won the league with 3 members of their primary rotation 200+. Highest ranked guy was 66th. 

Texas Tech was in the title game the last season we had one and their highest ranked guy was 132nd. 

Talent trumps getting old and staying old and I hate that saying, woof.

The BigTen is always competitive but rarely produces elite teams because the talent is not there. Savvy veterans are good and all but the proof is in the pudding and the BIGTEN doesn’t win championships. We produce good, rarely great teams.

It takes talent sticking around to win big

39 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

The BigTen is always competitive but rarely produces elite teams because the talent is not there. Savvy veterans are good and all but the proof is in the pudding and the BIGTEN doesn’t win championships. We produce good, rarely great teams.

That’s fair. 

Next years roster will have quite a bit of talent  

1 5 Star

9 4 Stars (How was TJD a 4 Star?)

2 3 Stars

Going by 247 rankings.  Based on who we are recruiting the 21-22 season will have no 3 stars. 

12 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Your last sentence is the key.  How many B10 teams have had players leave early (not NBA ready, but in good draft position) because of "potential"?  B10 teams rarely bring in multiple blue chippers per class and when they bail early it does as much harm as it does good - especially while the program is in the rebuilding process.

9 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree with you. I would take Wisconsin's results over the last 15yrs vs IU's though. Man that sucks to acknowledge. Still IU's greatest failing to me isn't the lack of a title, it's the maddening inconsistency and under-performing. When we have talent something else happens (injuries, chemistry, etc) then there are dry spells with glaring roster deficiencies. It's not even boom & bust like UCONN had for a while, it's just bust & bigger bust. As much as I want another banner, I would settle for IU being consistently good for a few years. 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:38 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Does it? 

Wisconsin just won the league with 3 members of their primary rotation 200+. Highest ranked guy was 66th. 

Texas Tech was in the title game the last season we had one and their highest ranked guy was 132nd. 

Do you think Texas Tech is going to reach a title game again any time soon? Maybe if they get better players, they will, but I wouldn't bet on getting back with the highest ranked player being 132nd. Doesn't seem sustainable. 

Wisconsin left us in their dust in the early 2000's and hasn't looked back. We shouldn't be comparing our program to theirs in any way. They can win with lower ranked players because guys actually get better and develop in their system, something we aren't seeing too much with our current staff. 

I stand by what I said: recruit mostly 4 star players and good things will happen. Keep recruiting sub-100 players and you get 19-13 type seasons. 

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Do you think Texas Tech is going to reach a title game again any time soon? Maybe if they get better players, they will, but I wouldn't bet on getting back with the highest ranked player being 132nd. Doesn't seem sustainable. 

Wisconsin left us in their dust in the early 2000's and hasn't looked back. We shouldn't be comparing our program to theirs in any way. They can win with lower ranked players because guys actually get better and develop in their system, something we aren't seeing too much with our current staff. 

I stand by what I said: recruit mostly 4 star players and good things will happen. Keep recruiting sub-100 players and you get 19-13 type seasons. 

You literally said you have to get old with talent of it doesn’t matter. Wisconsin proves that true. 

Archie has one 3 star recruit that he brought to the team. Not sure what you are really complaining about. 

If Trayce sticks around for a junior year that team will be considerably more talented than the reigning champs also. 

Rivals final 2020 rankings

#24 - Khristian Lander

#87 - Jordan Geronimo

#123 - Anthony Leal

#139 - Trey Galloway 

247's final rankings announced earlier this month.  Lander still ranked as a '21 at that time

#110 - Jordan Geronimo

#131 - Anthony Leal

#133 - Trey Galloway

With Damezi leaving and Lander reclassifying, we're still one below the scholarship limit. Certainly, there has to be a grad transfer with a year of eligibility remaining worth looking at -- maybe a big since TJD and Brunk are pretty much all we have there?

I hope we just don't leave it open again. Seems such a waste -- particularly when you can easily add a guy for a year. If he doesn't work out -- no harm, no foul.

Fitzner turned out to be something of a bust, but it was for one year, so it wasn't as if he was keeping a scholarship from a possible recruit. 

Current roster (8): Durham, Smith, Jackson-Davis, Brunk, Franklin, Phinisee, Thompson, Hunter
On the way in (4): Geronimo, Lander, Leal, Galloway 

6 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

With Damezi leaving and Lander reclassifying, we're still one below the scholarship limit. Certainly, there has to be a grad transfer with a year of eligibility remaining worth looking at -- maybe a big since TJD and Brunk are pretty much all we have there?

I hope we just don't leave it open again. Seems such a waste -- particularly when you can easily add a guy for a year. If he doesn't work out -- no harm, no foul.

Fitzner turned out to be something of a bust, but it was for one year, so it wasn't as if he was keeping a scholarship from a possible recruit. 

Current roster (8): Durham, Smith, Jackson-Davis, Brunk, Franklin, Phinisee, Thompson, Hunter
On the way in (4): Geronimo, Lander, Leal, Galloway 

I mean I don’t think there’s anybody that’s going to be a clear cut upgrade.  Gonna be hard to get somebody if they don’t see a path to minutes. 

LamarCheeks said:

Certainly, there has to be a grad transfer with a year of eligibility remaining worth looking at -- maybe a big since TJD and Brunk are pretty much all we have there?

Don't you think if there were a grad transfer worthy of an IU scholarship, the coaches would have already been in contact? There are virtually no grad transfers out there--they have all committed. Maybe someone will surface over the summer but it seems unlikely.

Gee, that thought had never entered my mind ... 

--------

It sure seemed that way when you  wrote  "Seems such a waste (extra scholarship) particularly when you can easily add a guy for a year."  Not so easy when there aren't any available. "Maybe a big..."?