Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Final ESPN ranking for Top 100 in '20 class.  NOTE:  Lander still being ranked in '21 class.

#91 - Jordan Geronimo

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2020

I'm pumped for the 2020 class. The experts are everywhere. Some say Geronimo is the best, some say it's Leal or Galloway. Add Lander and I think this is a solid class. 

I'm pumped for the 2020 class. The experts are everywhere. Some say Geronimo is the best, some say it's Leal or Galloway. Add Lander and I think this is a solid class. 

I’d be happy if it developed like the unheralded 2010 class.. I’m not saying Geronimo will be Oladipo but that class wasn’t hyped. We got a star that developed and an extremely important role player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’d be happy if it developed like the unheralded 2010 class.. I’m not saying Geronimo will be Oladipo but that class wasn’t hyped. We got a star that developed and an extremely important role player.

Would I be greedy to hope for a repeat of 2015 class. All NBA players playing an average of 2.66 seasons. 

22 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Would I be greedy to hope for a repeat of 2015 class. All NBA players playing an average of 2.66 seasons. 

Yes, honestly that may have been Crean's best class. 2009 and 2010 were pretty darn good. 

I was really surprised to see OSU’s class after last year. Figured it would bring some momentum. Juwan won’t make the locals happy with that class either. I don’t think most of us would be happy without a Lander reclass. Odd year in B1G recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

18 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I was really surprised to see OSU’s class after last year. Figured it would bring some momentum. Juwan won’t make the locals happy with that class either. I don’t think most of us would be happy without a Lander reclass. Odd year in B1G recruiting.

Lotta good teams with 3-5 starters returning I imagine didn’t help too much. But yeah. Bad year. SEC must have raised their salary cap. 

When was the last time the Big Ten really dominated in recruiting rankings though? The Big Ten is more of a get old, stay old league while the $EC and ACC are raking in the 5* with “straight cash money, homie.”

I don’t disagree with the overall point you are making on paying 5* to go to the B1G but I was more speaking to we only have 2 teams with a top 25 class. Usually we will have around 4 or 5 of not more. Across the board it’s a down year mostly. Wisconsin and Purdue are right outside of the top 25. I just can’t recall a year where it was like this.

HoosierAloha asks "When was the last time the Big Ten dominated in recruiting?"

It certainly has been a long time. Which might help explain why the last time a Big Ten team won a NCAA basketball championship was 20 years ago (Michigan State--2000). And before 2000? (Michigan 1989). And before that? (Indiana 1987; Indiana 1981). Indiana won championships with highly recruited players.  The 1976 Indiana team had 3 players who were considered top 10 players in high school (Buckner and Benson were considered the top players in the country at their respective positions in high school).  The 1981 team had Isiah Thomas and Landon Turner, both McDonald's All Americans. Great recruiting gives college teams a chance to compete for a national championship or at least be among the top ranked teams in the country.  Assuming Kristian Lander re-classifies, Indiana will have two McDonald's All Americans next season and that will give them a chance to at least compete for the Big Ten championship. 

We've got to start landing more players in the 25-75 range. Not writing off our incoming freshmen, but those numbers are fine if your goal is finishing 5th in the Big Ten every year and losing the first weekend of the tourney. 

40 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We've got to start landing more players in the 25-75 range. Not writing off our incoming freshmen, but those numbers are fine if your goal is finishing 5th in the Big Ten every year and losing the first weekend of the tourney. 

If we are relying on freshmen to contribute then I would agree with you. If we can get old and stay old I think it’s fine. 

On 4/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, HoosierAloha said:

I remember some people trashing the 2010 class pretty good in 2010. 

On 5/6/2020 at 5:43 PM, HoosierAloha said:

When was the last time the Big Ten really dominated in recruiting rankings though? The Big Ten is more of a get old, stay old league while the $EC and ACC are raking in the 5* with “straight cash money, homie.”

Without delving into it yet to back my following statement up with facts, on first glance it appears to this IU fan that Illinois has made it back into the pros after a significant absence.

1 hour ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Without delving into it yet to back my following statement up with facts, on first glance it appears to this IU fan that Illinois has made it back into the pros after a significant absence.

Yup. Underwood is fantastic. I’m a fan. What he did last year altering his spread actions to accommodate Cockburn’s game without killing their movement was great stuff. Big 10 recruiting may always be a challenge with the physical nature of the game. But it’s the best coached conference in the country, no doubt. 

Yup. Underwood is fantastic. I’m a fan. What he did last year altering his spread actions to accommodate Cockburn’s game without killing their movement was great stuff. Big 10 recruiting may always be a challenge with the physical nature of the game. But it’s the best coached conference in the country, no doubt. 

The style of play is the conferences fault. They want trashy basketball. The Big Ten just isn’t full of stars. At least none that the media and social media care about. Last year there was Winston and Garza but they weren’t exactly the most exciting to watch. But the Big Ten doesn’t allow or want the floor to open up for athletes to be athletes.

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

You need to get old with talented players or it doesn't matter. 

Does it? 

Wisconsin just won the league with 3 members of their primary rotation 200+. Highest ranked guy was 66th. 

Texas Tech was in the title game the last season we had one and their highest ranked guy was 132nd.