Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2020 General Recruiting Thread

Lynn Greer III 

When watching Roman Catholic (Pa.) this season, one aspect will become very apparent from the outset: Lynn Greer III is the unquestioned leader on the court.  Heading into his third straight season as a starter and having been a main part of the rotation since his freshman year, the 6-foot-3 point guard is taking greater command of the Cahillites with the departure of Hakim Hart (Maryland) and Seth Lundy (Penn State).

Greer III, who received an offer from the Nittany Lions before even stepping onto the court for Roman Catholic, scored 18 points and dished out three assists in the Cahillites’ 67-44 loss to the Patrick School at Philly Live II on Friday night.  The four-star recruit is the No. 95 ranked prospect in the class of 2020, according to Rivals.com.  He holds a number of offers but said Florida, Villanova, Wake Forest, Indiana and Miami (Fl.) are the schools that are recruiting him the most. He has an official visit set to Florida Sept. 7-9, he told Pat Lawless.

Villanova head coach Jay Wright was on-hand to take in Greer III’s performance against the Patrick School and the senior noted that Wright “has reached out to me directly.”  Wright has a history of bringing in high-ranked recruits out of the Roman Catholic program, notably Maalik Wayns, who was a McDonald’s All-American in 2009 and played three seasons with the Wildcats.  He also holds offers from Iowa, Oregon, St. Joseph’s and Temple, where his father played for five seasons and scored over 2,000 points.  Greer III is set to announce his top five schools in the next few weeks but regardless of any new offers that come in, he’s going to take the process slow to find the most optimal landing spot.  “I don’t worry too much about who’s offering me,” Greer III said.  “I just want to play my best basketball and whoever decides to offer me, they’ll offer me.  The school I’ll go to will be the best fit for me.”

While playing alongside Hart and Lundy, Greer III helped Roman Catholic win two Philadelphia Catholic League titles and a PIAA Class 6A title in 2018. Despite the loss of those two, the Cahillites return a lot of talent including 6-10 sophomore Jalen Duren, who won a gold medal with the USA U16 team in Brazil earlier this month and was invited to the Nike Elite 100 camp, sophomore Justice Williams, who has also spent time with USA Basketball, and 6-7 sophomore Christian Kirkland, who transferred in from Friends Select School (Pa.).

Greer III’s senior season holds more intrigue than merely where he chooses to play next. After his sophomore season, he chose to transfer to Oak Hill Academy (Va.), a program that has produced players such as Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony.  After being enrolled for a few months, he chose to return to Roman Catholic before the start of his junior year. He was ruled ineligible to play in the state tournament due to a new PIAA transfer rule that was put in place prior to the season. Without Greer III, the Cahillites fell short of a second straight state title by falling to league rival, La Salle in the quarterfinals.  Now he’s focused on being the leader of the team and bringing this new group together.“I think we’re going to be a very good team,” Greer III said. “We just have to get to know each other a little bit more because there’s a lot of new guys. As we play together, we’ll get better.”

I realize that Wayne's post of the Kendrick tweet is just Kendrick's opinion but I don't get the love for Kiyron Powell.  His number's simply aren't that good and he played second fiddle to '21 Caleb Furst on the Indy Heat team.  What am I missing?  Has anyone on the board watched him play in person?

I realize that Wayne's post of the Kendrick tweet is just Kendrick's opinion but I don't get the love for Kiyron Powell.  His number's simply aren't that good and he played second fiddle to '21 Caleb Furst on the Indy Heat team.  What am I missing?  Has anyone on the board watched him play in person?

I haven’t seen him in person, and Kendrick may have some bias attached to these rankings.

But many people seem to tout him for his rim protection aspects and defense. I can’t personally account to it, but I’ve seen multiple sources talk about this shot blocking.

He did bump Galloway over Leal. But not to the top 5. Someone asked him about that and he said he would take his top 5 on his squad before 6-10.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In a full 13 game schedule with starter minutes for Indy Heat, Powell has averaged 3.5 PPG, and waaay worse, has averaged 3.3 RPG, with over twice as many turnovers as assists. 1.1 block per game isn't exactly elite rim protector either.

Yeesh.

In a full 13 game schedule with starter minutes for Indy Heat, Powell has averaged 3.5 PPG, and waaay worse, has averaged 3.3 RPG, with over twice as many turnovers as assists. 1.1 block per game isn't exactly elite rim protector either.

Yeesh.

Yeah, it’s an odd one. He’s not the only one that seems to highly tout Powell. But the numbers never seem to justify it.

I think a big part of it is Indiana lacks in BIGS in this class, so his size and potential growth get factored in despite the production.

I wouldn’t be excited by an Indiana offer, but I don’t honestly have any room to judge.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, it’s an odd one. He’s not the only one that seems to highly tout Powell. But the numbers never seem to justify it.

I think a big part of it is Indiana lacks in BIGS in this class, so his size and potential growth get factored in despite the production.

I wouldn’t be excited by an Indiana offer, but I don’t honestly have any room to judge.

You don't have to have Luke Brown HS stats, but at least show me some effort stats; plenty of missed shots in AAU for an effort big to rebound.

I've watched him play several times during his career. I don't understand the hype either. I think when he plays guys his size on a consistent basis he will struggle. I'm just guessing, but I bet Kendrick has worked or coached him and is trying to market him. They're from the same area.

The final class prediction for the article is Diarra, Leal, Galloway and Loveday. I can’t say I would be disappointed with that class. I really hope we are in strong position for Cross but I’m not sure who I’d give up from that class to get him instead. There’s a PG, two wings and center. Seems pretty well balanced.

Yes, I realize predictions are like a-holes and don’t mean anything, but it makes for interesting discussion fodder....the article, that is, not the a-holes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's a well written article, but it's written by a student at Butler.

More along the lines of discussion fodder and summation than it is new or inside information. It's like those 'The Daily Hoosier' articles that scan message boards and recruiting service articles and summarize the writer's take on things.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's a well written article, but it's written by a student at Butler.

More along the lines of discussion fodder and summation than it is new or inside information. It's like those The Daily Hoosier articles that scan message boards and recruiting service articles and summarizes the writer's take on things.

To be fair, TDH does make it much easier to figure out what I missed on this board lol.