Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

BTB May Madness FINALS #1 Bobby Knight vs #1 Calbert Cheaney

#1 Bobby Knight vs #1 Calbert Cheaney  

53 members have voted

1. 1. #1 Bobby Knight vs #1 Calbert Cheaney

• Bobby Knight
    • Calbert Cheaney

I'll offer a counterpoint; the vote was not hard for me either:

Both finalists have had extraordinary success on the court; one is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Big Ten, and the other is a three time national champion.

The difference? One of them has shunned the university, the program and its current and former players, and has sold his IU championship rings on eBay. That finalist doesn't want to be deemed "The Greatest Hoosier Ever" because that finalist doesn't want to be associated in any way with Indiana University basketball. The other finalist is and always has been a fantastic representative of IU basketball and the university.

I'll add this quote from the '76 undefeated team's celebration:

"Several IU players at Assembly Hall on Tuesday as part of the 1976 team celebration admitted that Knight will probably no longer talk to them because they attended and associate with the school."

IMO, the "Greatest Hoosier" should be a player. I get it that coaches and other staff play a vital role in building an elite program... but the "Greatest" has to be a player... and arguably, a 4-year player (3 year player for the old-school, pre-freshman eligibility time frame).

I'll offer a counterpoint; the vote was not hard for me either:
Both finalists have had extraordinary success on the court; one is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Big Ten, and the other is a three time national champion.
The difference? One of them has shunned the university, the program and its current and former players, and has sold his IU championship rings on eBay. That finalist doesn't want to be deemed "The Greatest Hoosier Ever" because that finalist doesn't want to be associated in any way with Indiana University basketball. The other finalist is and always has been a fantastic representative of IU basketball and the university.
I'll add this quote from the '76 undefeated team's celebration:
"Several IU players at Assembly Hall on Tuesday as part of the 1976 team celebration admitted that Knight will probably no longer talk to them because they attended and associate with the school."

That's not entirely true or fair. He loves to associate with any IU fans that are willing to give him money.

This one was hard for me.  I will never negate what RMK did during his time here.  Much like AZHoosier I feel as though a player should win this.  IMO, this is the only person that could give RMK a run.  I know he won't, but the numbers he put up on a team that good is phenomenal.   The only thing holding him back is the lack of a title and the man he is up against being a larger than life figure.  

I said prior to this bracket starting that if RMK doesn't win then it's a problem. However now I can see how a player like Cheaney could be seen as the better option. RMK is still my choice just because I looked at what the person did for us during their time at IU and what they meant for the program. That may not be fair since RMK had so many more years which is probably what makes Cheaney so special was that he meant so much to Hoosiers fans in just those few years. Tough decision was made here.

53 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

This one was hard for me.  I will never negate what RMK did during his time here.  Much like AZHoosier I feel as though a player should win this.  IMO, this is the only person that could give RMK a run.  I know he won't, but the numbers he put up on a team that good is phenomenal.   The only thing holding him back is the lack of a title and the man he is up against being a larger than life figure.  

...not to mention that he's also a boorish, bitter, old man whose shtick has outlived his legend.