Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

To further this thought. We finally appear to be putting competent BB players 1-12 or 13. The cream will likely rise to the top. But when? I think it'll happen faster than many think but it isn't Sean Miller plug and play recruiting yet.

I'm not sure how ready any of these 5 recruits will be day 1. That concerns me as the cupboard may be seemingly bare. But say, we add Langford.

Curtis Jones/Green
Langford
Justin Smith/Hunter
Morgan/Clifton
DD

That team will be good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

That's a solid team without star power. However, a few of those players (Davis, Morgan, Moore, Smith, and Jones) could potentially have a breakout year. With the recruiting class that's being assembled we won't have years where we fall through the floor.

Langford and/or Garland could add a lot in 2018 to push us toward contending status. Any number of 2019 recruits could add to that with a solid core being built next season.

It's happening and I like it!

Does it seem like the 2018 class is setting up a lot like the 2007 class from a TALENT perspective? Both were the first "real" class for a new coach...

2007: Eric Gordon, Jordan Crawford, Brandon McGee, Eli Holman, JaMarcus Ellis and DeAndre Thomas

2018: (Romeo Langford) Robert Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Jerome Hunter, Jake Forrester

Of course, this all hinges on whether or not we get Romeo. But if (a huge if) we got him, those classes are similar. They would both have an elite, one and done scorer to go along with a bunch of talented, Top 100 level players.

It all hinges on Romeo. If he comes, I believe we're back in the national picture (i.e. Top 15/20) next year. If he goes elsewhere, we' may have to wait for some 2019 studs to come along. 

I was thinking and here is my theory...

Everything Archie is doing is to put us in great position for 2019. If we want to land top 50 players in that class then we need to show that IU is going to be a legit team under Archie Miller. I think he knows that in all likelihood we aren't going to be a Final Four caliber team the next two seasons (if Romeo comes them that changes), but we have to get to the tournament the next two years to keep the recruiting momentum going. If we stink it up then IU isn't going to be a "cool" place to play. I think Archie is stockpiling 2018 recruits to make sure he can field a tournament caliber team next year, to help us go all in on 2019 recruits. 

Just now, Capt. Crimson said:

Perhaps they will woo him by talking about how at Louisville they only cut down one banner. Here we do two. 

9 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

It is really just down to two at this point. All in for Garland and Langford. 

Yes, that seems to be a foregone conclusion, but nonetheless we did extend offers to the others and to the best of my knowledge they've not announced commitments elsewhere.

A question due to my lack of NCAA rule knowledge: 

if Dort says "ya I'm committing to Indiana" do we have no other option but to accept it or do teams get a final say on yes or no. 

Theoretically, if he wanted to come to IU, couldn't he just commit & leave us no room for Langford? 

All hypothetical btw -- I know nothing about Dort -- 

I hope this doesn't happen, but what if we don't land either Langford or Garland? Do we leave that roster spot open or do we find another target? 

In the Crean days I was rightfully negative but I have to say I'm pretty confident we land Langford this year

Not confident with Garland. Wishful.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

In the Crean days I was rightfully negative but I have to say I'm pretty confident we land Langford this year

Not confident with Garland. Wishful.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm definitely confident with Romeo. Not as much with Garland. If IU got Romeo, I'd be fine with that being the end of the class

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

It's funny. I'm well aware that Romeo is a far more important recruit to get, and but in my mind there's little doubt that Garland would far better fill an on court need.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is where I'm at. Romeo may be more important for "locking down the state" purposes, but Garland would probably be better for our team. 1 year of Langford vs 2 or 3 with Garland..tough to choose if we had to pick one.