Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

2018 General Recruiting Thread

For OF, landing Romeo in my opinion is important for the program moving forward because if CAM can convince arguable the best in-state player to ever come out of the state to wear the candystripes in his first year on the job that is a huge statement to the college basketball world.  That is also a big statement for future in-state talents that are not necessarily one and dones that Romeo a top 5 player nationally has put his trust in CAM for his one year at IU.

I feel CAM is in a good situation with the Romeo recruitment, if he goes elsewhere he has a class in place with 2 in state top 100 kids that is a good foundation and if he swings for the fences and romeo chooses IU it will just add to his tremendous start.    

As others have mentioned, getting the occasional elite talent is important with regards to rebuilding vs reloading.  It is hard to compete at the highest level without the highest talent.  It takes special teams and special chemistry.  Plus not all 5 star talent is one and done and sometimes that carry over of talent is what builds a national championship contender.  

2nd factor and less important factor:  It's an image boost.  Those are super important in kids minds these days. 

I'm starting to disagree with people who say Romeo Langford is not a must-get recruit for 2018.

A roster of De'Ron Davis, Juwan Morgan, Clifton Moore, Justin Smith, Curtis Jones, and Devonte Green is probably hoping for a Sweet 16 at best, as I don't think they'd have a very realistic shot at anything higher than that barring major development from some players in the backcourt.

But if you add Romeo Langford to that equation, does that not look like a Final 4 roster?

Devonte Green
Romeo Langford
Juwan Morgan
Clifton Moore
De'Ron Davis

With Curtis Jones, Phinisee, Hunter, and Smith likely the players getting meaningful playing time, that roster looks pretty capable of a matchup-friendly run to the Final 4.  Although we'd have to see some pretty solid development out of the backcourt and Clifton Moore turning into a Jared Jeffries-lite, that looks to be a pretty potent lineup.

That's my scorching hot take anyway.  If we want IU to make our long-awaited return to the Final 4, Romeo Langford pretty much provides the only realistic way there.

15 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I'm starting to disagree with people who say Romeo Langford is not a must-get recruit for 2018.

A roster of De'Ron Davis, Juwan Morgan, Clifton Moore, Justin Smith, Curtis Jones, and Devonte Green is probably hoping for a Sweet 16 at best, as I don't think they'd have a very realistic shot at anything higher than that barring major development from some players in the backcourt.

But if you add Romeo Langford to that equation, does that not look like a Final 4 roster?

Devonte Green
Romeo Langford
Juwan Morgan
Clifton Moore
De'Ron Davis

With Curtis Jones, Phinisee, Hunter, and Smith likely the players getting meaningful playing time, that roster looks pretty capable of a matchup-friendly run to the Final 4.  Although we'd have to see some pretty solid development out of the backcourt and Clifton Moore turning into a Jared Jeffries-lite, that looks to be a pretty potent lineup.

That's my scorching hot take anyway.  If we want IU to make our long-awaited return to the Final 4, Romeo Langford pretty much provides the only realistic way there.

Where is damezi

9 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Devonte Green
Romeo Langford
Juwan Morgan
Clifton Moore
De'Ron Davis

Not the only realistic way to reach a final 4. Maybe one that improves its chances dramatically but not the only way to reach the final 4.  South Carolina just made a final 4 without a player of romeos status (thornwell was good but not on Romeos level).  We will just have to wait and see what CAM can do with the players he has coming in.   He will definitely be surrounded by more talent then he has ever had and he has already taken a team to an elite 8.   Talent alone doesn't get a team to the final 4.  Luck, coaching, injuries all play a factor.   Realistically IU without landing Romeo would have just as much talent as the South Carolina, Wichita st, George mason, VCU, West Virginia and Butlers that have all made final 4s   Just my opinion 

3 minutes ago, cljones1979 said:

Where is damezi

I love Damezi but whose minutes do you see him getting his freshman season?  A sophomore Justin Smith plus Jerome Hunter are probably seeing the floor ahead of Anderson, so I don't think he's getting more than ~8 mpg in 2018-2019.

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not the only realistic way to reach a final 4. Maybe one that improves its chances dramatically but not the only way to reach the final 4.  South Carolina just made a final 4 without a player of romeos status (thornwell was good but not on Romeos level).  We will just have to wait and see what CAM can do with the players he has coming in.   He will definitely be surrounded by more talent then he has ever had and he has already taken a team to an elite 8.   Talent alone doesn't get a team to the final 4.  Luck, coaching, injuries all play a factor.   Realistically IU without landing Romeo would have just as much talent as the South Carolina, Wichita st, George mason, VCU, West Virginia and Butlers that have all made final 4s   Just my opinion 

Well I know that, I'm just saying a team with Langford is going to be getting some Final 4 hype before and during the season, whereas a team without him definitely will not.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen, as you've pointed out there have been many teams who have gotten there despite being less talented, however the chances increase exponentially with Romeo.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

For OF, landing Romeo in my opinion is important for the program moving forward because if CAM can convince arguable the best in-state player to ever come out of the state to wear the candystripes in his first year on the job that is a huge statement to the college basketball world.  

I am going to admit to some ignorance here. Is this kid seriously really that good? Best all-time?

I ask because I've never seen him play. I don't look at youtube highlights because mostly they just show guys doing a bunch of dunks, but never show how they play defense, fit within the team, or make their 'mates better. Plus, who is truly going to put any bad games in those clips.

So, I ask again. The best all-time? Really? Better than Oscar? Better than McGinnis? Better than.....well, you get the idea. I'm just a bit skeptical of that statement.

34 minutes ago, Tom White said:

I am going to admit to some ignorance here. Is this kid seriously really that good? Best all-time?

I ask because I've never seen him play. I don't look at youtube highlights because mostly they just show guys doing a bunch of dunks, but never show how they play defense, fit within the team, or make their 'mates better. Plus, who is truly going to put any bad games in those clips.

So, I ask again. The best all-time? Really? Better than Oscar? Better than McGinnis? Better than.....well, you get the idea. I'm just a bit skeptical of that statement.

I guess I should of said arguably the best in state prospect since IU's last title.    From watching him many times he is in my opinion the best prospect out of the state in a very long time 

32 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Whole heartedly agree. There is way too much recency bias here. Oscar, Larry, so on and so on. Maybe one day he will prove to be the best ever but I wouldn't think he'd be considered the best prospect from Indiana ever as it stands now. I keep my foot on the brakes when it comes to recruiting, as far as desire and expectations. I've seen plenty of great prospects underwhelm and plenty under valued guys exceed even my wildest expectations. Too much stock of people's hopes go into 17 year old kids that could either way with their progression and potential.