Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) PF Race Thompson to IU

From InsideTheHall

Indiana landed its first recruit of the Archie Miller era on Sunday night when Robbinsdale Armstrong (Minn.) forward Race Thompson committed to the Hoosiers.

Inside the Hall spoke with Thompson shortly after he made his decision public and our full Q & A is below:

On his decision to make his decision public on Sunday:

“I knew where I wanted to go, so just talking to my parents, my family and my brother, I decided that Indiana was the best fit for me overall of all of the schools that were recruiting me. That was the main thing. There was no reason to keep holding them off. That’s why I decided to do it today.”

On what convinced him that Indiana was the right place for him:

“It was just how fast we made a connection and the relationships I built with the coaches. Talking to the players when I was on the visit, it seems like this is where I should be. I felt like I was at home.”

On what stood out on his official visit in June:

“I learned what the campus life was like, the players and also just what Archie Miller and Tom Ostrom will bring to the table as a coaching staff. I learned about the offense and it’s just the perfect fit for me from a basketball standpoint and style of play.”

On Miller and Ostrom:

“They kept a steady relationship with me. They’re both really easy to talk to. They made the decision easy for me, pretty much. That’s something that was key.”

On whether he will move up to the class of 2017:

“I’m pretty sure I’m reclassifying and will be going to Bloomington in August. That’s what I’m thinking I’m doing.”

On when he’ll decide for sure on reclassification:

“I’ve got to finish up a few classes that I’m doing right now this summer and then I think that’s what I’m doing.”

On whether he’ll play the rest of July:

“I don’t think I’m going to play in Minneapolis (next weekend). But I’ll be playing in Vegas (at the adidas Summer Championships.).”

Just now, goonaha said:

Because practicing against Davis, Morgan, and Hartman for a year and training with Coach Marshall is way more beneficial than another year of Minnesota high school basketball. He'll have a Big 10 ready body after the redshirt and a year of learning Archie's system.

We'll see. I'm not a fan of red shirting in basketball

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Because it gives him a year of D1 training and practice time that he wouldn't otherwise get. Going against our guys in practice every day will be immensely more valuable for him than playing another year of high school. He'll be able to step in and be ready to contribute right away come 2018. 

Like I said before, we'll see. I hate red shirting

This is good news. Thompson, Davis, Moore, Morgan & as a small ball 4 Smith. Our frontcourt is solid for the next 2 years. Davis having a huge year and jumping to the league is only way that isn't the case.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I don't think it belongs in basketball. And it's not like every player that red shirts dramatically improves either

He might not dramatically improve, but there's really no downside. It doesn't use up a year of his eligibility and we weren't going to use the scholarship this year anyway. Having another big 6-8 body to go against in practice will also benefit the rest of our players. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He might not dramatically improve, but there's really no downside. It doesn't use up a year of his eligibility and we weren't going to use the scholarship this year anyway. Having another big 6-8 body to go against in practice will also benefit the rest of our players. 

We'll see. Like I said, as long as IU gets Romeo, I'm happy

I don't think it belongs in basketball. And it's not like every player that red shirts dramatically improves either

Yeah, ok... but why? Like others have said, we weren't using the scholly and it has no negative impact on his eligibility + he gets a year to learn the system, train, practice with/against better players, etc. What's the downside I'm missing?