Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

This also shows the problem with leaning so heavily if analytics. If you're playing against Tim Duncan, analytics say to just let him shoot his 15 bank shot. But what player in their right mind would actually allow that to happen? None because they know Duncan was a great kid range shooter. You going to let Dirk just shoot wide open mid range? Nope. MJ? Nope. Kobe? Nope. A players feel of the game is important in that situation. 

This also shows the problem with leaning so heavily if analytics. If you're playing against Tim Duncan, analytics say to just let him shoot his 15 bank shot. But what player in their right mind would actually allow that to happen? None because they know Duncan was a great kid range shooter. You going to let Dirk just shoot wide open mid range? Nope. MJ? Nope. Kobe? Nope. A players feel of the game is important in that situation. 

I’m not trying to be an @$$ but do you understand how analytics work?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And if that offensive gets an open shot from 15-18 feet, shoot it. Why would we tell Trayce to go shoot 3s when he can't hit from 15 feet?

And If he can hit them at 55% have at it. If so he will be a first round pick guaranteed. But if not then he shouldn’t shoot it because because a bad shot is a shot that has an expected value of less than a point 

43 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And If he can hit them at 55% have at it. If so he will be a first round pick guaranteed. But if not then he shouldn’t shoot it because because a bad shot is a shot that has an expected value of less than a point 

If he's never going to shoot it a 15 foot jump shot, then he never needs to shoot a 3. It harder to hit that 15-18 ft shot, but that deals with height of shot, angles etc. But if you're open, shoot the freaking ball. I'm not asking Shaq to shoot 15 ft jumpers. But if Trayce wants to expand his game to the 3pt line, he should try hitting those first. Another thing is, Trayces role in the NBA won't be to score. It'll probably never be a starter. It'll be screening, rolling, rebounding and defending. Him scoring will likely just be a consequence of the defense leaving him for a ball handler and catching a lob. 

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If he's never going to shoot it a 15 foot jump shot, then he never needs to shoot a 3. It harder to hit that 15-18 ft shot, but that deals with height of shot, angles etc. But if you're open, shoot the freaking ball. I'm not asking Shaq to shoot 15 ft jumpers. But if Trayce wants to expand his game to the 3pt line, he should try hitting those first. Another thing is, Trayces role in the NBA won't be to score. It'll probably never be a starter. It'll be screening, rolling, rebounding and defending. Him scoring will likely just be a consequence of the defense leaving him for a ball handler and catching a lob. 

This post contains a pretty spot on assessment of TJD in the pros.

However, there are plenty of bigs in the NBA that shoot threes well and have no mid-range game whatsoever. Thomas Bryant and OG are good examples. They score almost entirely at the rim and from three, with no midrange game.

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This post contains a pretty spot on assessment of TJD in the pros.

However, there are plenty of bigs in the NBA that shoot threes well and have no mid-range game whatsoever. Thomas Bryant and OG are good examples. They score almost entirely at the rim and from three, with no midrange game.

But they can probably hit it. That's the problem with TJD. He hasn't been able to. Obviously the game is moving to the Stan Van Gundy theory of layups and 3s only, but in his development, he should try hitting mid range before shooting 3s. He doesn't have great mechanics, which may really hinder his ability to shoot 3s. But I think from a development side, he should work mid range before backing up. And for a scout, it will at least give a really good base to work with. 

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But they can probably hit it. That's the problem with TJD. He hasn't been able to. Obviously the game is moving to the Stan Van Gundy theory of layups and 3s only, but in his development, he should try hitting mid range before shooting 3s. He doesn't have great mechanics, which may really hinder his ability to shoot 3s. But I think from a development side, he should work mid range before backing up. And for a scout, it will at least give a really good base to work with. 

Why wouldn't you try the easier shot first?

You said the 3 is easier than the mid range but want him to master the mid range prior to trying to work on the 3??

3 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Why wouldn't you try the easier shot first?

You said the 3 is easier than the mid range but want him to master the mid range prior to trying to work on the 3??

It is easier but at the same time you don't want to ruin the mechanics of a shot. Abs TJDs are already rough, so you have to build him to that point. Don't skip crawling and go right to sprinting. If I am a coach and developer, I want you to prove to me you can hit FTs and 15-18 foot jumpshot before I try to make you Steph Curry. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It is easier but at the same time you don't want to ruin the mechanics of a shot. Abs TJDs are already rough, so you have to build him to that point. Don't skip crawling and go right to sprinting. If I am a coach and developer, I want you to prove to me you can hit FTs and 15-18 foot jumpshot before I try to make you Steph Curry. 

No reason to develop the worse shot first 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I truly think your analogy is backwards but who the heck knows at this point...

Crawling is easier than Sprinting... therefore you learn to crawl first.

3p is easier than mid range therefore shouldn't you learn that first?

Or maybe I am making too much of an analogy and its just drivel at this point....

Regardless TJD should learn to finish at the rim first with BOTH hands... then get the perfect form for FTs (cause he will have lots of opportunities)…. and should likely NEVER shoot a Mid Range or 3p shot!!! (hopefully we have plenty of shooters for that)

15 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I truly think your analogy is backwards but who the heck knows at this point...

Crawling is easier than Sprinting... therefore you learn to crawl first.

3p is easier than mid range therefore shouldn't you learn that first?

Or maybe I am making too much of an analogy and its just drivel at this point....

Regardless TJD should learn to finish at the rim first with BOTH hands... then get the perfect form for FTs (cause he will have lots of opportunities)…. and should likely NEVER shoot a Mid Range or 3p shot!!! (hopefully we have plenty of shooters for that)

It has to deal with the strength needed between the two shots. Which causes an impact on mechanics. The 3pt shot is easier because the angle and height of the ball to go in are different than they are from 15 feet. But at the same time it is more difficult because it's further away. It's an odd complexity. TJD needs to get his mechanics set before moving out. And even then, could still not be able to shoot. TJD being able to hit mid range at a good clip will also help his post game a lot. He will be able to faceup with a threat of shooting over the defender, which gives the ability to actually shot fake and drive. 

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

TJD being able to hit mid range at a good clip will also help his post game a lot. He will be able to faceup with a threat of shooting over the defender, which gives the ability to actually shot fake and drive. 

What's a shot fake? I can only remember one in the last 4 years, and that was a head fake from Brunk under the basket. Still can't remember a pass fake either...

Imagine what a good pass fake could do for a real shooter...

1 minute ago, DWB said:

What's a shot fake? I can only remember one in the last 4 years, and that was a head fake from Brunk under the basket. Still can't remember a pass fake either...

Imagine what a good pass fake could do for a real shooter...

Kids nowadays really don't understand many fundamentals. Seen some kids playing the other night at the park, one kid had had his defender beat off the dribble then pulled back to keep doing dribble moves. Asked him why he didn't go score when he had him beat. Literally told him, "if you're shoulder to shoulder with him, you've got him beat. Quit dancing, it isn't prom." But kids don't get taught pass fakes, shot fakes, post game at all, spacing, thinking ahead, contesting right handed shooters with your left hand and the other way around... FREE THROWS. AND1 ball was big when I was younger and the NBA was going through it's weird one on one era but nothing has been worse for a generation that YouTube highlight videos and the destruction of AAU. 

Rant over. 

13 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Kids nowadays really don't understand many fundamentals. Seen some kids playing the other night at the park, one kid had had his defender beat off the dribble then pulled back to keep doing dribble moves. Asked him why he didn't go score when he had him beat. Literally told him, "if you're shoulder to shoulder with him, you've got him beat. Quit dancing, it isn't prom." But kids don't get taught pass fakes, shot fakes, post game at all, spacing, thinking ahead, contesting right handed shooters with your left hand and the other way around... FREE THROWS. AND1 ball was big when I was younger and the NBA was going through it's weird one on one era but nothing has been worse for a generation that YouTube highlight videos and the destruction of AAU. 

Rant over.