Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

On 1/15/2021 at 11:43 AM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If Luka Garza played basketball in Europe, he’d be a top 5 pick.  Change my mind.

Excellent take.  The more I think about it, the more he is Arvydas Sabonis if Sabonis had come into the league at 22.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Excellent take.  The more I think about it, the more he is Arvydas Sabonis if Sabonis had come into the league at 22.

I love Garza. Just a great college player. He’ll play a long time in the League. But, no, no, no. When Sabonis was 22 he was probably 1 of the 8 or 10 best players on the planet. If he’d come to the League at 21 instead of 30 with his knees already going he may have been a top 5 big in the history of the game.  He might have been anyway. 7’3”, the most skilled big up to Jokic, 1 of the greatest passers ever, a legit basketball genius, and he could defend. One of my all-time favorite players. Garza is to Sabonis what Bojan Bogdanovic is to Bird.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

I love Garza. Just a great college player. He’ll play a long time in the League. But, no, no, no. When Sabonis was 22 he was probably 1 of the 8 or 10 best players on the planet. If he’d come to the League at 21 instead of 30 with his knees already going he may have been a top 5 big in the history of the game.  He might have been anyway. 7’3”, the most skilled big up to Jokic, 1 of the greatest passers ever, a legit basketball genius, and he could defend. One of my all-time favorite players. Garza is to Sabonis what Bojan Bogdanovic is to Bird.

Garza will be spending a lot of his time chilling on a bench somewhere, that's if he makes it. If you're not putting up 25+, you best be able to defend parked cars. Garza can't. At the NBA level, he will get absolutely eaten alive on defense and his offensive game doesn't translate. Now some might want to compare him to Nikola Jokic, which is fair.. but Jokic can defend a parked car. Frank Kaminsky is having an okayish role playing career. Garza isn't even as good as Kaminsky was. Garza will likely be a stud overseas. 

There is always a place in the NBA for a big man who can shoot. Garza won't be a starter but he'll be a part of a 2nd unit on some NBA team. TJD's challenge to making it in the NBA is his lack of shooting ability/skills.

52 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There is always a place in the NBA for a big man who can shoot. Garza won't be a starter but he'll be a part of a 2nd unit on some NBA team. TJD's challenge to making it in the NBA is his lack of shooting ability/skills.

There is a place for a big man slower than a sloth that can't defend and won't be an elite scorer. You will not find anyone as bad of a defender at the center position, worse than Garza. Maybe Jahlil Okafor... But Garza isn't even that good. 

5 hours ago, Demo said:

Have to say I didn't know that about Sabonis at age 22.  I do know that at 30 even with the knees going he was incredibly skilled for his size.

Have to say that the development that Sabonis' son Domantas has made in the NBA is incredible.  6'11" power forward putting up 21.5 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 5.7 assists as a big is amazing.  To think he was just a extra guy in the Dipo/George trade is amazing.  Do wish the Pacers hadn't hit the snag of really bad luck with T.J. Warren's injury and Caris LaVert's health situation this year.....they probably aren't a team to compete for the title in the East even with them, but if they could get both those guys healthy and in game shape come playoff tie, they could be an interesting match up in the playoffs.  A Brogdon/LaVert/Warren/Sabonis/Turner grouping, while not matching up with the big boys, isn't too bad.  Probably have to move some of their bench shooters for some backup size.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, yogisballin said:

I’m sorry but TJD and JJ are nothing alike as far as their basketball abilities. I haven’t looked this up but I remember him being a roughly 1/3 3pt shooter for his career at IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He was -- 32.5% for the two seasons he was here -- and as a sophomore he 38% from three on 71 attempts.  Jeffries took roughly 1/6th of his shots from deep.  TJD has taken exactly 0.

48 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

“He needs to develop a little jump shot,” Woodson a said of Jackson-Davis. “In watching him since I’ve been here, he’s got good form.....”

First time I think Woody has pulled a punch a little bit. Trayce does not have good form. 

43 minutes ago, Demo said:

“He needs to develop a little jump shot,” Woodson a said of Jackson-Davis. “In watching him since I’ve been here, he’s got good form.....”

First time I think Woody has pulled a punch a little bit. Trayce does not have good form. 

Yeah, it's god awful.

Dickie V luvs Trayce Jackson Davis:

Dick Vitale's college basketball preseason All-Americans for 2021-22

By Dick Vitale

A number of outstanding players opted to return to college, passing on the NBA draft. There are also several potential All-America selections coming from the transfer portal, but it's always tough to evaluate players on new teams as we will have to see how they jell on a new roster.

A lot of people put freshmen on their preseason All-America teams. I believe we have to see them on the collegiate court before we name them All-Americans. I'm sure you will see players like Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga, Jalen Duren of Memphis and Michigan's Caleb Houstan on the postseason team.

But for now, for my preseason All-America teams, we'll concentrate on the veterans who I believe will have very big seasons:

First team

Drew Timme, Gonzaga Bulldogs

Kofi Cockburn, Illinois Fighting Illini

Collin Gillespie, Villanova Wildcats

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana Hoosiers

Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse Orange

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'd rather he be an All-American at the end of the season, but it's still quite an honor ... 

I'm thinking Trayce has a real shot at staying on the post-season All-A team. If he adds that mid-to-outside shot to his arsenal, under Woodson's encouragement instead of limitations, and shows it with some consistency, he'll be in the NBA next year. He may be anyway, but adding shooting could well move him up into the first round, can run small ball 5 but needs to show the shooting. I'm not much for mock drafts especially at this point, but this one, an aggregate, has him at 48. https://hoopshype.com/lists/2022-nba-mock-draft-chet-holmgren-jalen-duren-paolo-banchero/