Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

Seeing as how Hurt is most likely going to end up with more career points than Bailey, I got to thinking about scoring records by state and was surprised to find that 16 states have had players with more than 3,134 points. Some of those states have had multiple players surpass that mark. That being said, Jon Diebler and Robert Parish are the only two on that list that I've heard of so it's not exactly an indicator of long-term success. Even so, I thought it would be interesting to discuss Hurt's career scoring in relation to Bailey's. 

Obviously they are completely different players, so I'm not talking about comparing them as such. I'm just curious to see what people have to say about their accomplishments. Which do you find more impressive? Generally I'd be inclined to say Bailey based on the fact that he did it in a state known for basketball (talent and coaching), and the fact that he was only 6'3" (I would assume Hurt has a pretty decent height advantage in every game he plays).

On the other hand, I was an infant when Bailey was playing and am not familiar with the level of competition BNL went up against. I would assume there were a lot of cupcakes. Could be the same for Hurt, but I believe he faces larger schools which generally equates to better opponents. He also appears to be a very versatile scorer and may not rely on his height advantage much. If that is the case and a lot of his offense comes from outside the paint, I'm inclined to give him more credit as his height makes his skill set more impressive. 

So, what do you guys think? Whose scoring record is more impressive and why?

For those interested, here is the link to HS scoring leaders: https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=1133

Forget the scoreboard. On Tuesday in Albert Lea, it was rebounds that told the tale as the John Marshall boys basketball team cruised to an 88-67 win over the winless Tigers.  JM pulled down 45 rebounds while Albert Lea had just 16. Matthew Hurt led the Rockets with 43 points and 17 rebounds. JM shared the ball very well, recording 24 assists on their 32 field goals.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:31 AM, Bigred3588 said:

Seeing as how Hurt is most likely going to end up with more career points than Bailey, I got to thinking about scoring records by state and was surprised to find that 16 states have had players with more than 3,134 points. Some of those states have had multiple players surpass that mark. That being said, Jon Diebler and Robert Parish are the only two on that list that I've heard of so it's not exactly an indicator of long-term success. Even so, I thought it would be interesting to discuss Hurt's career scoring in relation to Bailey's. 

Obviously they are completely different players, so I'm not talking about comparing them as such. I'm just curious to see what people have to say about their accomplishments. Which do you find more impressive? Generally I'd be inclined to say Bailey based on the fact that he did it in a state known for basketball (talent and coaching), and the fact that he was only 6'3" (I would assume Hurt has a pretty decent height advantage in every game he plays).

On the other hand, I was an infant when Bailey was playing and am not familiar with the level of competition BNL went up against. I would assume there were a lot of cupcakes. Could be the same for Hurt, but I believe he faces larger schools which generally equates to better opponents. He also appears to be a very versatile scorer and may not rely on his height advantage much. If that is the case and a lot of his offense comes from outside the paint, I'm inclined to give him more credit as his height makes his skill set more impressive. 

So, what do you guys think? Whose scoring record is more impressive and why?

For those interested, here is the link to HS scoring leaders: https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=1133

Bailey's. Better overall players in our state by numbers than other states. Better players means that scoring can be spread among team member more evenly. Plus better defenses night in night out.

Obviously they are completely different players, so I'm not talking about comparing them as such. I'm just curious to see what people have to say about their accomplishments. Which do you find more impressive? 

Bailey's. Hurt has already played 3 more career games and is still 250 points behind DB.

Plus, 29 of Damon's games were played in the "playoffs" when you will yourself to win or you go home.

Bailey led BNL to 3 real, non-class, final fours and a title, and his worst season ended with a regional loss to a final 4 team and a Mr Basketball.

In OT, John Marshall defeated Mayo 63-58.  Preliminary reports are Hurt had 48 of JM's 63 points.

CORRECTION:  Per John Marshall Basketball, Hurt with 46 points and 16 rebounds.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
CORRECTION

More on last night's game.  Hurt scored 8 of his team's 10 OT points.   Full game story from the Rochester Post-Bulletin.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports/high_school/basketball/boys-basketball-hurt-rockets-ride-defense-past-mayo/article_3f72afe6-2ce6-11e9-bf56-20677ce05640.html