Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

opiej

Archie Miller's staff at Indiana will be Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom (Dayton) and Ed Schilling (UCLA),

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

I just have a different viewpoint as I'm a young coach myself. With Archie being pretty young for a coach, I'd like to see him stick to the theme. Hire an up and comer at a mid level program, someone with some ties that is a basketball junkie like Archie himself

Flint just gives me a bad vibe. 

Flint is not an up and comer, but I don't get why you would assume he doesn't have ties or isn't a basketball junkie. He's been involved in college basketball as a player, assistant coach or coach for 34 straight years.  The one year he took off, he traveled the country watching college basketball practices for the fun of it while earning no pay check. I'm just not sure what more Flint could do to prove his basketball junkie pedigree.

Just now, SteelerHoosier said:

What makes you think having those two guys on the bench is better than Flint? "indiana ties" and what not?

You and I see things differently, and I don't feel like I need to explain it again.  100 times is enough.  Indiana is a unique place, and there needs to be some tie to the culture.  Yes. I know you don't understand or agree with it, but 17 years later....  

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

You and I see things differently, and I don't feel like I need to explain it again.  100 times is enough.  Indiana is a unique place, and there needs to be some tie to the culture.  Yes. I know you don't understand or agree with it, but 17 years later....  

I am legitimately asking. Educate me. 

8 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Yeah, people really need to let go of this getting an "Indiana guy" nonsense. We got an "Indiana guy" in our head coach, as many have said. We don't need a former player on our staff to get the culture or recruit Indiana. It gets so old reading all these posts clamoring for someone from the IU tree.

It's not nonsense at all.  I agree with Archie as an 'Indiana guy,' but I don't understand why you would make that comment (assuming you agree with it) if you think it's nonsense.   We sure don't need a .500 coach from the east coast if we don't need a guy who gets the culture and can help sell it.   I will never understand how or why people want to get rid of the past.  The past built the culture and expectations here.   Why just toss that aside for the sake of wanting something different?  Cultures are built over time, and the teams/programs that stick with it are highly successful across the board.  Look at the top seeds in this year's NCAA tournament.  4 deep, they were pretty familiar.  Look at the top college football programs.  Even true in the NFL and MLB in some ways.  There are teams you always expect to do well because they have a certain way of doing things.  Wisconsin figured it out.  Butler is developing it in basketball, and they're in better shape than what Crean left Indiana.   I love Miller.  LOVE him.  But I disagree about casting aside those with ties to a very successful culture for  no other reason than "it's time to move on."  From what?  Consistent success?  What's wrong with having guys on the bench who understand specific expectations?

2 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

I am legitimately asking. Educate me. 

See my post above.  I have no interest in educating anyone. I see it a certain way many do not.   I get it.  Doesn't make me wrong.

44 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Max Bielfelt would be terrific.  He's the one who tutored Bryant, anyway.   We do need someone like Lewis or Cheaney on the bench, though.   Bruiser Flint?    Yawn.

I hadn't even thought about Max. He would be a great hire. Let him have Elston's job. 

57 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It's not nonsense at all.  I agree with Archie as an 'Indiana guy,' but I don't understand why you would make that comment (assuming you agree with it) if you think it's nonsense.   We sure don't need a .500 coach from the east coast if we don't need a guy who gets the culture and can help sell it.   I will never understand how or why people want to get rid of the past.  The past built the culture and expectations here.   Why just toss that aside for the sake of wanting something different?  Cultures are built over time, and the teams/programs that stick with it are highly successful across the board.  Look at the top seeds in this year's NCAA tournament.  4 deep, they were pretty familiar.  Look at the top college football programs.  Even true in the NFL and MLB in some ways.  There are teams you always expect to do well because they have a certain way of doing things.  Wisconsin figured it out.  Butler is developing it in basketball, and they're in better shape than what Crean left Indiana.   I love Miller.  LOVE him.  But I disagree about casting aside those with ties to a very successful culture for  no other reason than "it's time to move on."  From what?  Consistent success?  What's wrong with having guys on the bench who understand specific expectations?

My entire point was you can get an "Indiana guy" without actually getting a former IU player. We just need people who respect the culture and do what's right. That is why Archie is an "Indiana guy" without actually being one. Just because we had championship players doesn't mean they are championship coaches. I want people who are right for the job, regardless of where they went to school. We can absolutely get assistants who buy into the culture and our proud tradition without picking from the IU tree. That's all I'm saying

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Max Bielfelt would be terrific.  He's the one who tutored Bryant, anyway.   We do need someone like Lewis or Cheaney on the bench, though.   Bruiser Flint?    Yawn.

I don't believe Calbert is interested in getting back into coaching at this point and if he does I don't think he wants to put in the time to get to know all of the coaches in the state. JMO from what I have heard

34 minutes ago, VO5 said:

My entire point was you can get an "Indiana guy" without actually getting a former IU player. We just need people who respect the culture and do what's right. That is why Archie is an "Indiana guy" without actually being one. Just because we had championship players doesn't mean they are championship coaches. I want people who are right for the job, regardless of where they went to school. We can absolutely get assistants who buy into the culture and our proud tradition without picking from the IU tree. That's all I'm saying

I mean "Indiana guy" as someone who understands the culture and can sell it to kids.   There are a bunch of former players very qualified to do that.  There were NOT very many qualified to be the head coach.